Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th June 2020, 16:29   #61
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
You are exactly the dream poster child of those wishing for totalitarianism, every death is a family tragedy, irrespective of cause........so tell me how you defend to the widow of a cancer patient, or a heart attack victim, or indeed death by any other reason, that someone who has died with Covid-19, that their death is somehow more tragic than that loss of their loved one?

Of course all deaths are tragic.
However, lockdown in the UK came too late, therefore we had ‘needless’ deaths.

Not just me thinking that either.
Professor John Edmunds a scientist who advises the government on coronavirus said today, he wishes the UK had gone into lockdown sooner as the delay "cost a lot of lives".
Hmm, yes and his research is funded by the department for health, the Wellcome Trust, and various other sources, not independent or indeed impartial

Now if you stay in the house, you are much less likely to be struck by lightning, run over by a bus, or other malady.

Nobody is forcing you to do anything outside of your comfort zone, however you must realise that at some point people will question the validity of what they are being told, and question whether the decisions made in an attempt to mitigate the possible effect of an pessimistically modelled epidemic, is in fact cumulatively worse than the effect of said epidemic has on society as a whole.

The science is not impartial, far from it, and making assumptions where the bigger picture is ignored at the expense of the hysteria being constantly fed to the people via the media is dangerous in the extreme.

Covid 19 is not the worst thing we face, far from it......consider for instance the 1,500,000 million who die worldwide annually as a result of tuberculosis, and the 3700 people who lose their lives daily as a result of RTA worldwide, it put the death toll into some sort of perspective, but what will put into proportion as a risk to life once and for all, is when people are tested for antibodies, and it is discovered millions have been infected without even knowing.

Stay in your pillow fort, I want to get back to normality before the country I love is ruined by snowflakes

Brian

Hindsight, is wonderful isn't it? what a complete load of tosh
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2020, 16:36   #62
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
I would expect to see the numbers under control. I cannot give absolute figures but my feeling is the economic case for easing the lockdown has been given priority over health considerations. On a health front it seems to me to be risky. The first wave isn't over, a second wave is a possibility. Only time will tell how the UK government has performed in all this, I’m sure it will be discussed for years. I bet labour is thankful they didn’t win the last election.

'Numbers under control' Even you can't define what that means. would 100 be under control, or is 350 under control? Is 1 to many?
'The first wave isn't over', 'a second wave is a possibility'. Well if 'waves' are what you want to talk about, one wave pre-supposes a second. The first wave isn't over, purely because the second wave hasn't arrived. the average death rate continues to drop week by week. The figures may look different when smaller zones are looked at. But there lies danger. As amply demonstrated by the lumping of Yorkshire with the North East in well published figures not a fortnight ago. While the published figure made the North East figures look better than they were, they made North Yorkshire look twice as bad. Which is confusing as Yorkshire has also been lumped with Hull etc, Not the North East which is a region in it's own right.
My point is if you look at the numbers you need to actually investigate them and then compare and contrast with normal figures. Another case in point is the constant repeating of the 'Death Total So Far!' Well that's never going to start going down is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post
You are exactly the dream poster child of those wishing for totalitarianism, every death is a family tragedy, irrespective of cause........so tell me how you defend to the widow of a cancer patient, or a heart attack victim, or indeed death by any other reason, that someone who has died with Covid-19, that their death is somehow more tragic than that loss of their loved one?

Of course all deaths are tragic.
However, lockdown in the UK came too late, therefore we had ‘needless’ deaths.

Not just me thinking that either.
Professor John Edmunds a scientist who advises the government on coronavirus said today, he wishes the UK had gone into lockdown sooner as the delay "cost a lot of lives".

Some people seem to think that they should live for ever, and that there should be no death at all (by that requirement all deaths are needless: I don't know that there's such a thing as a 'needed' death anyway). Scientists always disagree with each other, it's the nature of trying to know the unknown. If Mr Edmunds has an opinion, then so do I, and it's in contrast to Mr Edmunds. As Mr Edmunds doesn't offer any actual science, or even numbers, it just that an opinion with nothing to qualify or support it.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote