Notices

Old 29th April 2020, 21:22   #41
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Crikey Wes, that is awful on top of everything else you guys have been through.
I know what you mean Andy, life has certainly been rotten to us lately, if Tracey's father getting diagnosed with cancer wasn't enough, it just seems to be one thing after another.

I still have my health to sort out, trying to deal with everything when you're in constant pain certainly does take its toll on oneself, but we are still hanging in there.

I'm trying to keep my mother well at the moment, this is proving difficult, especially with this lockdown in place. Trying to step into my fathers shoes is sure going to be a hard role to play, I'm the only sibling so its all down to me I guess.

Where is the manual to all this, I cant remember signing up for all this heartache and pain.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2020, 21:25   #42
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post

Where is the manual to all this, I cant remember signing up for all this heartache and pain.
You have to write it day by day Wes, everyone's manual is written differently depending on circumstances, situations and strengths.

You will get through all of this, it will feel impossible at times, but you will get through it all.
Old 29th April 2020, 21:31   #43
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
You have to write it day by day Wes, everyone's manual is written differently depending on circumstances, situations and strengths.

You will get through all of this, it will feel impossible at times, but you will get through it all.
Thanks mate, you've put that brilliantly, makes a lot of sense, best thing I've read for a long time.

I've run out of thanks.
Old 30th April 2020, 06:13   #44
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Please accept my sincere and heartfelt condolences to you and your family.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2020, 08:28   #45
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Wes
Jan and myself are so sorry to read of your Dads passing.
Our thoughts are with you all.
As Andy says although it's dark now there will be light at the end of the tunnel.
My late Mums words when any kind of crisis hit the family were. (Best said in a broad Norfolk accent) "When you fall over in the sh8t boy you gotta get back up wipe your backside and keep going up the hill"..

Take care mate.
Old 1st May 2020, 18:53   #46
Dallas
This is my second home

Just had the coroners report, all it has confirmed is that my father died from a myocardial infarction (heart attack), no mention of the change in drug Apixaban being a contributing factor.

Its a bit hard to accept really, as my father had been doing so well on the warfarin, and then quickly went down hill in a matter of days after starting the Apixaban.
Old 28th May 2020, 08:24   #47
Dallas
This is my second home

Finally we have a date for the funeral, its next week. We went to see him at the chapel of rest yesterday, it was great to see him again, he looked so peacful.

I've been finding full boxes of Warfarin around the house, some have one or two tablets missing, it looks like he hadn't been taking them correctly.

Its safe to say he didn't like tablets, doctors or hospitals, he was an old school tough guy, the silly fool just didn't listen.

Last edited by Dallas; 28th May 2020 at 08:26..
Old 28th May 2020, 15:30   #48
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

My mother was put on apixaban almost a year ago as she has an irregular heartbeat and takes pills for that, so the apixaban is to stop her blood clotting and causing a stroke due to the heart condition. Scary stuff. At least you can now lay your dad to rest, only trouble is it due to the number restrictions at funerals, you can't have anyone other than immediate family to come and pay their respects. We were lucky with Graham's dad's service that it was pre covid so myself and Brian were able to attend.

Last edited by RPWC; 1st June 2020 at 21:09..
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2020, 14:17   #49
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
My mother was put on apixaban almost a year ago as she has an irregular heartbeat and takes pills for that, so the apixaban is to stop her blood clotting and causing a stroke due to the heart condition. Scary stuff. At least you can now lay your dad to rest, only trouble is it due to the number restrictions at funerals, you can't have anyone other than immediate family to come and pay their respects. We were lucky with Graham's dad's service that it was pre covid so myself and Brian wete able to attend.
My father had a irregular heartbeat Rich, but he didn't care less, he still soldiered on as everything was fine. This may be why he didn't bother leaving any funeral plans, he left no wishes. He didn't even give any indication to mum on whether he wanted to be buried or cremated, so these past few weeks have been all about what we think he would have wanted.

My father loved everything about nature, he was an outdoorsman, he loved the countryside with all his heart. He would walk the hills and beyond many year ago, he lived in a pair of wellies for most part of his life. He enjoyed the horses, there were many hours spent up on the gallops, the race meetings filled the best part of my childhood, so with all this in mind we thought about cremation and ashes to be scattered in a place that was dear to him.

However my mother and I didn't think he would have wanted to be burnt to a crisp, with this in mind I paid a visit to a cemetery that was out in the countryside to check it out. It has wonderful views that overlook the hills that my father has walked, so I spent a good two hours there deciding whether or not dad would like it. I found an ideal burial plot where you can see these beautiful trees that outline the horizon, you can see for miles and miles, the feeling I got just felt right.

The plans are now in place and dads journey is near to the end, but its the beginning of his wonderful memory. Its certainly been an emotional journey, the lockdown has made some things quite difficult, but at the same time some aspects have been made easier.

What we have also arranged is for the burial plot to be a double decker, so my mother will be with my father for when her time comes. Something we don't want to think about I guess, but these thoughts seem to go through ones head at times like this.

Stay safe everyone, help those you love, and love those who help, especially in these dark times.

Last edited by Dallas; 1st June 2020 at 20:35..
Old 30th May 2020, 03:15   #50
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

My late mum was on warfarin Wes and like most if not all medications it needed monitoring for the known effects. I took her to the regular blood testing sessions which the medication requires and I was always grateful for the input that resulted from them. Nose bleeds were a worry and a reportable event, had to call for an ambulance on one occasion because of loss of blood and inability to stop it. Go easy on yourself and your dad's GP.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote