Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th September 2007, 14:53   #1
jcoyne

Default Instrument pack dataset ZT diesel auto 53 plate single display

I have a zt diesel (53 plate autobox) with a milage at 999999 due to a spike from the alternator. The dataset is corrupt and the eprom needs reflashing but I cant find anyone with access to the correct dataset. I've had it reflashed with a dataset from a 75 auto deisel and got the milage back but the fuel gauge did not work nor the trip milage - so I reverted back.

So Im looking for either a replacement instrument pack must be brand new - I belive used ones cant be installed

or alternativly I'm looking for the dataset from the EPROM of the same model

or anyone willing to have me take a dataset from the EPROM on thier car [Im in preston) (I would have to take your clocks out to get at the chip but would pay for the trouble) A big ask I know!

I hope you can help Jason

Last edited by Keith; 29th September 2007 at 12:17.. Reason: removed phone number
jcoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 14:58   #2
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Hi Jason and welcome to the Club

You should remove your telephone number from your post - this is public forum.

If anyone can help they will either post here or PM you.

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 17:52   #3
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoyne View Post
I have a zt diesel (53 plate autobox) with a milage at 999999 due to a spike from the alternator. The dataset is corrupt and the eprom needs reflashing but I cant find anyone with access to the correct dataset. I've had it reflashed with a dataset from a 75 auto deisel and got the milage back but the fuel gauge did not work nor the trip milage - so I reverted back.

So Im looking for either a replacement instrument pack must be brand new - I belive used ones cant be installed

or alternativly I'm looking for the dataset from the EPROM of the same model

or anyone willing to have me take a dataset from the EPROM on thier car [Im in preston) (I would have to take your clocks out to get at the chip but would pay for the trouble) A big ask I know!

hope you can help Jason
I'm not the most technically-minded person on the planet but I've not come across the terminology your describing....

By 'dataset on the eprom' are you referring to the VIN data stored on the instrument pack or on the cars main ECU? If you are then the VIN data is specific to each car and cannot be coppied - you will need to reprogram the cars own VIN into the chips.

Is this being done on a T4 diagnostic system because this - if I recall correctly - will offer to re-write mismatched data should it find errors.

Last edited by GreyGhost; 1st October 2007 at 19:29.. Reason: removed phone number from quote
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 21:32   #4
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Did you get the cluster recoded on T4 before going down the eprom reading route?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 22:18   #5
jcoyne

No Im not technical either but have been learning a lot just recently out of desperation.

The rover guys have had it [the car) on the machine (is that T4?) and have said that the instrument pack is "not responding" and I need a new instrument pack and light control module (may not be the correct term) as both talk to each other to confirm the milage is correct and confirm that it has not been tampered with.

I cant get a new instrument pack for love nor money so I have gone down the "milage correction" route. These guys have the equipment to read and write directly to the eprom on the back of the instrument pack which holds the milage.

They have read the eprom on the light control module and can see the correct milage but when they try to read the one on the instrument pack it is corrupt, try to write to it and it refuses to take it. so it is thier opinion that the dataset on the eprom is corrupt and/or the chip if dead.

I have obtained a blank eprom and had this flashed with what I thought was the correct data set for my car (taken from a rover 75) when this was soldered back on the instrument pack - hey presto the milage is working.... unfortunatly the fuel gauge was not nor was the trip. so I have switched back to the faulty milage but at least have a fuel gauge

so effectivly the reflashing of the eprom will work but I need to find the exact dataset.

As I understand it - but no expert am I. Ther VIN number can be sorted by the ex rover guys using the T4 machine once I get a 'working' instrument pack. In fact you may be able to see the VIN number in the dataset and edit it before flashing the EPROM.

I'm open to any ideas.

Also - I dont know how to remove my phone numer from the orginal post - could you advice
Old 28th September 2007, 22:40   #6
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Have you tried SMC for a new IPK?

Send a PM or email to Les: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=374

If Les can't help you, try eBay.

I don't know why you need a new LSM - if you fit a new IPK then the mileage on the LSM is used to set the mileage on the IPK.

To remove your phone number just click on "edit" in your first post.

Last edited by CDTi; 28th September 2007 at 22:43..
CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2007, 12:23   #7
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Jason chances are you will not need an LSM

I am curious about the work done to remove and replace the chip
It sounds like it was close but not close enough can you drop me a PM with further infoabout who did the work and what the used

As for your current fault I recommend going to RA Wright

http://www.rawright.btinternet.co.uk/

You might also be able to borrow a low line cluster for your car from a member here as many have retrofitted hi line clusters and the old ones are of no further use to them
Old 29th September 2007, 12:53   #8
jcoyne

Default Thank you

Thanks for the ghelp and direction. I have sent an PM to SMC (I do think I may have asked them before via ebay - but I have attempted so many routes).

I will also call RA Wright on Monday - hes only about 10 mins from me but I've not come across him.

Im very interesting the upgrade to a highline cluster - is that one route I can consider? and is anyone offering it as a service? what sort of cost is involved.?

I will send you a pm Keith.

Best Regards,

Jason
Old 29th September 2007, 13:02   #9
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

If you upgrade to a highline pack, you'll only need to add the indicator stalk with the switch on the end.

If you've got to fit a new pack, you might as well upgrade although the packs are a bit more.....
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2007, 20:28   #10
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Cheers Jason interesting PM
I think that was a reasonable route to follow assuming the data had been corrupted but obviously no help if the cluster is faulty.

If you can get a hi-line cluster then the upgrade if worthwhile for the extra info it provides and once you get a new stalk switch you will have an OBC as well but the best reason is you can then add Trafficmaster

Rob at RA can code a new cluster to your car if you get one

I would do a "want" it the wanted and forsale section someone probably will have an old cluster that will match your car that you can try especialy if you want to continue down the dashfixer route as that might be the cheapest option just to get things working again