Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th July 2017, 18:40   #11
chiron_myth
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Sounds like a very similar experience to mine - Nothing wrong with the head gasket initially, but the head had a crack in it. I bought a new head and arranged for a local garage to fit it however, when fitting it they didn't measure the liner heights and used the wrong gasket.

I then went to MG Rover mobile mechanics in Derby (same place as you and Dawn) and they diagnosed the same - dropped liner resulting in a new block being needed. I than had the same decision - get another car or repair this one.

In the meantime I had borrowed a 75 diesel. I have got to say that the are two completely different cars. With the 1.8T, it's as close as you can get to driving a hot hatch (feels light, nimble and quiet). With the deisel, you knew you were driving a big car. Although it was smooth and economical, it felt considerably heavier (and sluggish compared to the 1.8T).

In the end, I decided to stick with repairing my car. Although I could have bought another car, it would have been at the cheap end of the market which would mean I wouldn't know what problems I'd be walking into. I could end up buying a car and then having a load of new repairs to content with. By keeping my old car, it cost less than buying a new car, I know the history of it and know what needs to be done to keep it going.

MG mobile mechanics fitted me a new 1.8T engine and since then, the car has been a dream to drive. It has lost no water or oil (apart from a tiny bit in the first week whilst the new engine settled in, which is normal).

It did take me a couple of weeks before I trusted the car again, but I'm very glad I persevered. The car has been running the best it ever has. In truth, I'd never go anywhere else for any work on my cars now and cannot recommend the place in Derby enough.

Ultimately, the decision is yours and will likely to be based on your attitude to risk, (i.e. your trust in the mechanic to do the work and the costs involved compared to the cost and risk involved in buying a new car). I've put my reasons above to explain my thoughts and experience of using the team in Derby, but only you can make the decision because you're the one that's got to live with it.

Last edited by chiron_myth; 6th July 2017 at 18:43..
chiron_myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 20:28   #12
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
And to all owners of a 1.8T get a Hans Gauge fitted ASAP
As the Hans digital (analogue would be better) gauge is out of line of sight, I would consider it a distraction from the road ahead and by the time you spot a rise in temp the damage has already been done, better fit this as per the manufacturer intended, directly in line of sight. Triggered by a mere loss of 120cc coolant.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...4&postcount=33
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 20:43   #13
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

There is one you can get on EBay that actually chimes at various temperatures, so no need to take your eyes off the road at all! I intend to get one fitted at some point!

Dave and Kayleigh at Derby are having my car back next month to Waxoyl it. They've been very good and wouldn't give in on my car after it had been "killed" by k-seal in all the system.

Only you can decide what you want the most. Take a diesel for a test drive and see what you think before you decide?
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 21:37   #14
Rían P
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Firstly, sorry to hear about your ordeal. An awful feeling, especially when it's something you care for.

Secondly, furthering to what Chiron_myth said, I think it's a matter of "you're better with the devil you know, than the devil you don't". I think, if it makes financial sense to repair the engine, and you're not investing money in a car which needs a lot of money spent on it to bring it to a good standard (I don't know what condition your car is in, however i'm sure it's in good shape), then for the money, I don't think you could buy as good a car for the same money. That said, 75's aren't the dearest cars. ~£800, will not buy you much more than a high-mileage, rough car be it petrol or diesel.

In short, you'll know this car's history. God only knows what you could come across in desperation/depression of the current 75.

Good luck with it anyway
All the best
Rían P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 11:32   #15
Yorkshire GOC

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

"There is one you can get on EBay that actually chimes at various temperatures, so no need to take your eyes off the road at all! I intend to get one fitted at some point! "

Just to clarify i say Hans gauge as short cut nomenclature -as stated above there is guy on E bay selling gauges that alarm at 110 and 115 - mine was fitted by Trikey and HE said they were good quality as he knows his sparks stuff.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 14:58   #16
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Well, had a little time to think and cry about it, and as has been said, I'm thinking of getting the new engine. The bodywork is incredible, no rust or rot, dents or scratches. Well, there IS one tiny dent I discovered in the front wing when I waxed it. It's that noticeable that it was only when I ran my eye over the paintwork to see if the wax was off that I saw it. I've done the leaks and plenums and the seats are comfy and the drivers bolster isn't very worn.

Plus, you know, I JUST brought a new wooden steering wheel. And a towbar! Both from forum members.

Let's face it, what car can you get for £800? Take a punt on another 75, or an MG without knowing its' history like this one, and could be the same issue! A new engine is a new engine, and as long as I service it, get that darn water sensor fitted, it should be okay. Right? New engine, correct gasket, 12 months guarantee on a perfectly sound car.
The wife says to get the engine. I'm awaiting a call back from the garage that sold me the car, as I got it in March, didn't get the log book May, and only done 2000 miles or so of gentle town work and back driving. If they offer to pay for half of the repair, I'll have a new engine for approximately £400. And then, if I still don't trust it in a year, I can sell it as a working car, not scrap it.

And whilst the V6 engines sound so nice, and the diesels get the economy, I do like the power and refinement of the 1.8 turbo. And....maybe I can get it chipped to 200bhp. Maybe.

Thanks for the advice and help, but mostly for providing me a place to vent and write things out to give my annoyed brain chance to calm down and think things through with sensible, helpful people who KNOW these things. This place is incredible.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 16:51   #17
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Glad you decided to fix it - now don't take any chances on coolant pipework, inspect thoroughly before fitting the replacement.
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 16:58   #18
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

I'm going to ask the guys at MG Rover Repairs to give everything a thorough check through to make sure there aren't any other nasty surprises in store when they put a new engine in!
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote