Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th July 2017, 23:24   #1
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Default In a right flap

Ive an issue with my petrol flap, which has left me flipping FURIOUS.

It was removed by a bodyshop to get a colour match at the paint company, NOT with the method of unscrewing the hinge, but by some other method with the metal spring.

Now the flap has up and down play, and it sinks too low, and has rubbed on the body and chipped the paint on both the flap and the body.

It looks to me like the hinge has been damaged during removal, as looking at the diesel flap, its tight as a drum and the two bits that have the holes for the spring on the hinge, and the corresponding bits on the flap all sit together tight with no play.

How can I remove the flap with those two screws? If they fall inside, are they lost in the wheelarch double skin forever and ever?!?

Absolutely FURIOUS, as if I had noticed this before, Id not have chips on the car from the flap rubbing.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 12:14   #2
good_mojo
Loves to post

Facelift Rover 75 Classic CDT auto and Connoisseur SE 1.8T

I would take it back to the bodyshop and demand that they make good the chips and fix the flap - or replace it with a good one, colour matched, of course.
good_mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 19:15   #3
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Its an hour and a half drive each way, I dont know if I can deal with the nonsense.

Perhaps better off fixing myself, if I can find out how.

Ive no idea how you can get the flap off with just the spring, it all looks too compacted. Maybe the wire is bent and pulled inwards allowing the flap to come off?

Also they did my boot hinges too, and obviously the boot was misaligned by a fraction, and the corner rubbed a chip off the boot corner and the body where they just touched when opening and closing.

Furious with that too, all so careless, they might well have adjusted the gaps to make them "look" better, but that was NOT my remit, I said to leave everything as it was exactly, even if that meant gaps were uneven. Had they listened, it would have meant none of this hassle.
Old 7th July 2017, 19:39   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Its an hour and a half drive each way, I dont know if I can deal with the nonsense.

Perhaps better off fixing myself, if I can find out how.

Ive no idea how you can get the flap off with just the spring, it all looks too compacted. Maybe the wire is bent and pulled inwards allowing the flap to come off?

Also they did my boot hinges too, and obviously the boot was misaligned by a fraction, and the corner rubbed a chip off the boot corner and the body where they just touched when opening and closing.

Furious with that too, all so careless, they might well have adjusted the gaps to make them "look" better, but that was NOT my remit, I said to leave everything as it was exactly, even if that meant gaps were uneven. Had they listened, it would have meant none of this hassle.
Is there a moral to this tale then? or just a general rant?

I know it is annoying when things are not done to a standard you expect, however moaning and groaning about it won't fix it Ross

So get another fuel filler flap, and undo the two bolts securing it to the body and get it painted to match, then ask the painter who does the job for the leftover paint an touch in the chips with that.

Or go back to the place that done the job originally and have a moan at them, did you expect them to paint the hinges on the car, perhaps covering up some old grease and dirt while they were on?

I know you wanted the hinges painted, a if I remember correctly I posted you a set of very good used bolts, for which I received not even a thank you or kiss my backside, not even an offer of covering the cost of postage

I can only assume these magically fitted themselves without undoing the old ones

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 19:45   #5
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

I'm almost certain I would have offered you money, Ive never expected/expect anything for free.

So perhaps my message did not get sent, you forgot, or I forgot.

I would have asked for your Paypal.

And yes, I expect people to do what I tell them, sooner or later I am going to lose it bigtime with someone who does not do as I ask. Sick of it tbh, it happens less in Germany, standards are higher there, god forbid you damage a Germans car, there would be hell to pay!

The point of the thread is to find out how the cap and hinge mech. fits.. I cant see how you can take the flap off the hinge without damaging anything.

As for the two bolts, I need to know whats on the other side... if something falls is it lost forever in the double cavity, or is it just the back of the metal which is covered only by the plastic arch liner?

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 8th July 2017 at 17:34.. Reason: Removal of the swear word.
Old 7th July 2017, 20:48   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
I'm almost certain I would have offered you money, Ive never expected/expect anything for free.

So perhaps my message did not get sent, you forgot, or I forgot.

I would have asked for your Paypal.

And yes, I expect people to do what I tell them, sooner or later I am going to lose it bigtime with someone who does not do as I ask. Sick of it tbh, it happens less in Germany, standards are higher there, god forbid you damage a Germans car, there would be hell to pay!

The point of the thread is to find out how the cap and hinge mech. fits.. I cant see how you can take the flap off the hinge without damaging anything.

As for the two bolts, I need to know whats on the other side... if something falls is it lost forever in the double cavity, or is it just the back of the metal which is covered only by the plastic arch liner?
The nuts are captive

If the standards this country are so poor in comparison to those in Germany, you could always take your car there to be repaired

Brian
Old 7th July 2017, 20:54   #7
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

I know someone who takes their car to Poland to get it fixed and serviced.

Of course, they are Polish and go there on holiday to see the family and whatnot, but still. She says she knows what goes on with the service and trusts the people, but doesn't over here. She had her car LPG'd over there too, for £400. Still a long way to go for a service!

Boot hinge screws are just screwed into the threaded boot lip, aren't they? I just whipped 'em out when I silicone sealed mine, and never gave it a thought. Unless there are other hinges I missed?
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 22:42   #8
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
The nuts are captive

If the standards this country are so poor in comparison to those in Germany, you could always take your car there to be repaired

Brian
Back in UK after my father died....

Chuck me your paypal on a pm, I'll send a tenner your way to make up for it, you moaner
Old 7th July 2017, 22:44   #9
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

I read somewhere in another thread, people are screwing the torx bolts into the car, rather than undoing.

Is this wrong? Whats best? If anything else goes wrong, i'll be tempted to set fire to it.
Old 8th July 2017, 12:01   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Back in UK after my father died....

Chuck me your paypal on a pm, I'll send a tenner your way to make up for it, you moaner
I tell you what Ross, you can stick your tenner where the sun doesn't shine, if I'd wanted paid I would have asked at the time, but the courtesy of a small thank you would have been nice

Now talking of moaning, why not take your car back to the bodyshop and moan at them about your tale of woe, instead of moaning that it is a 90 minute journey each way, remembering who made the choice to use that bodyshop

Brian