Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10th July 2017, 10:01   #81
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

I think many people look at EV's at the moment as being troublesome, the inconvenience of having/remembering to charge the car would be a burden to many.

Its the same principle as using ones mobile phone and getting caught-short with a flat battery when wanting to make that important phone call. I'm always forgetting to charge my phone, I end up leaving the house with a flat battery. I dont fancy forgetting to charge the car and being stuck at home, or on the roadside somewhere. Until we see better batteries with improved 'Real World Mile Range' and EV charging points on every street corner (a bit like the parking meter), until then I cant see the general public conforming TBH.

In this fast paced society that we live in today, we all get caught up in the hustle and bustle. Family life these days has been affected by peoples heavy workloads, this disrupts the work life balance. I cant see the EV in its current form as it is now appealing to many people, we need to feel confident in being able to jump in the car and go at any given one time, leaving for work, school run, keeping appointments, or simply going out for pleasure... I feel the EV may become an inconvenience on a number of levels for some.

I can see the EV format eventually working once the technology improves, I can see many places of work installing EV charging points, also retail parks/shopping centres, even hospitals, train stations and airports will offer this facility. But until then I feel many are buying the idea, bit of a gimmick at the moment, that is how the wife and I felt when being sold the idea.

Last edited by Dallas; 10th July 2017 at 10:03..
Old 10th July 2017, 10:15   #82
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I think the big issue isn't the cars its the infrastructure that they need. They have come on in leaps and bounds in the past few years, but the technology and charging points are miles behind.
How many different types of charger are there? Why isn't there just one?
I think the government need to get a grip of this and sort it out.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Old 10th July 2017, 10:41   #83
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
I think the big issue isn't the cars its the infrastructure that they need. They have come on in leaps and bounds in the past few years, but the technology and charging points are miles behind.
How many different types of charger are there? Why isn't there just one?
I think the government need to get a grip of this and sort it out.

From what I've seen some authorities have jumped on the government grant bandwagon to install public chargers & have installed L1 chargers, basically trickle charges like the EVSE chagers cable that comes with an EV car, those will take 8 hours to charge your EV.

What is the point of those! If you plug into one of those & go shopping for an hour or two you aren't going to get much in the way of a charge in that time.
They're just compliance measures me thinks.

If you're planning on using public L2 charge points you will also have to buy a type 2 charging cable to use, those are around £200 and upwards.

I have seen a couple L2 chargers in dedicated bays at two hospitals & I've read supermarkets are getting up to speed & installing them.

I haven't seen a L3 fast charging station in the flesh yet, I don't know bout other EV's but I've read the Nissan leaf (acenta & Tekna) models have
the ability to tell you on screen where all the chaging points are & the distance to them relative to your position using GPS.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto

Last edited by Lancpudn; 10th July 2017 at 11:06..
Old 10th July 2017, 11:08   #84
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I don't see why the cables are so expensive, no doubt in a few years they'll plummet in price.

Old 10th July 2017, 14:13   #85
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I think many people look at EV's at the moment as being troublesome, the inconvenience of having/remembering to charge the car would be a burden to many.

Its the same principle as using ones mobile phone and getting caught-short with a flat battery when wanting to make that important phone call. I'm always forgetting to charge my phone, I end up leaving the house with a flat battery. I dont fancy forgetting to charge the car and being stuck at home, or on the roadside somewhere. Until we see better batteries with improved 'Real World Mile Range' and EV charging points on every street corner (a bit like the parking meter), until then I cant see the general public conforming TBH.

In this fast paced society that we live in today, we all get caught up in the hustle and bustle. Family life these days has been affected by peoples heavy workloads, this disrupts the work life balance. I cant see the EV in its current form as it is now appealing to many people, we need to feel confident in being able to jump in the car and go at any given one time, leaving for work, school run, keeping appointments, or simply going out for pleasure... I feel the EV may become an inconvenience on a number of levels for some.

I can see the EV format eventually working once the technology improves, I can see many places of work installing EV charging points, also retail parks/shopping centres, even hospitals, train stations and airports will offer this facility. But until then I feel many are buying the idea, bit of a gimmick at the moment, that is how the wife and I felt when being sold the idea.
Well I don't see petrol stations on every street corner and if I forget to put fuel in my car it will eventually run out just like an EV with a flat battery!
The big difference now is that we've got to the point where charging at home is enough for the average persons daily (and maybe even weekly) use. Again going back to phones, when smart phones came out they could barely last half a day without needing to be charged which was a complete pain, you almost had to plan you day around making sure you could keep you phone topped up! Now if I charge my phone overnight no matter how much use it gets during the day it makes it through to the evening ready to go on charge again so the inconvenience factor has now gone and indeed when it went smartphones took off. I think it'll now be the same with electric cars without taking into account the massive reduction in running costs its far more convenient for most people to plug in overnight then to go to petrol station every week or so.
Old 10th July 2017, 15:16   #86
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

The thing is not everyone is fortunate to have a home with a drive or garage to charge at home. I think you'd land in trouble having a mains extension running across the path or out the window of your flat.
Old 10th July 2017, 15:20   #87
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Then there's those that rent as well, that can be tricky to sort out. Will all LL and Housing Associations let people modify the house?

Old 10th July 2017, 15:27   #88
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

My other gripe is it's all very well talking about Tesla and all the other expensive EV, they are out of the reach of 90%+ of the population, even cars like the Leaf & Zoe are way more expensive than a petrol car. What about many on here, so many working class folk with a bit of savvy about decent cars but without a brass farthing for something new. . ... so we think they can afford a EV? I personally don't think many are ever going to aspire to an EV, many will loose out on the freedom of a car in the not so distant future, cars will be for the rich...again an unequal society.
Old 10th July 2017, 15:44   #89
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

I don't see the plugging in as an issue for me personally. It takes more time to undo my shoe laces and take me shoes off than to just plug the car in. The problem, as has been stated, is the infrastructure for the non-garage / drive owning populous. Unless there is a community car park built in every area with charging points for people in flats / terraces with no drive to park and charge their cars, like a multi-story within reasonable distance, it's a bit of a non-starter for full on EV's. Hybrids are the only solution where the petrol charges the batteries, but that's getting back to petrol again.

Something will have to change. Think of it like this: We pride ourselves as a species on our development and technological advances, yet we survive by essentially digging up dead dinosaurs and setting fire to them. Cavemen survived by cutting down trees and setting fire to them. Electricity, as innovative and awesome as it is, in generated largely by setting fire to stuff. NOT that advanced when you think about it. An energy revolution is much overdue, then we can possibly stop deforesting the planet to grow bio-fuel, and stop polluting the atmosphere with burning-dead-dinosaurs byproducts. EV's need some alternative, RELIABLE technology to generate the electricity, and England doesn't have the sun for solar, doesn't have the reliable wind for windfarms and is slightly too big and busy in the shipping lanes for tidal generation.
Old 10th July 2017, 16:00   #90
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
My other gripe is it's all very well talking about Tesla and all the other expensive EV, they are out of the reach of 90%+ of the population, even cars like the Leaf & Zoe are way more expensive than a petrol car. What about many on here, so many working class folk with a bit of savvy about decent cars but without a brass farthing for something new. . ... so we think they can afford a EV? I personally don't think many are ever going to aspire to an EV, many will loose out on the freedom of a car in the not so distant future, cars will be for the rich...again an unequal society.
Many on here perhaps couldn't afford a 75/zt when they were new, i know i couldn't, but can now they are much older.All cars fall in value as they get older EVs will be no different.

Closed Thread