Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th August 2017, 09:11   #1
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Thumbs up It lives!

Well, MG Rover Mobile Mechanics came out yesterday to replace the engine block. They had a look at my poorly 75 and decided that they could, in fact, shim the piston liners instead!

So, instead of replacing the engine block, Dave got a lift from me to his in-laws house leaving Mark to repair my engine. It didn't rain!!!! He showed me what he was doing, and, in my own opinion, it was akin to wizardry in that there was an engine in bits, then some more bits, then different bits, then he started putting old bits back with new bits and things and eventually there was an engine again! Magic! He struggled to re-connect the heater matrix I'd removed and cleaned because I couldn't get the top pipe to connect. Oops! I think that may have been my fault in removal. But no leaks! The carpet is sodden, but I think that was from the sunroof drains which I have cleared out. I HOPE that's all that was, I just have to dry the thing out now.

Went to 5 motor factors trying to locate a PK5 1200 belt that was knackered, and ended up having to order one as no-one had one that size! And yet, not an uncommon belt size and is used by loads of car manufacturers (apparently).

Finally got the thing put together, new oil and coolant, and the bleed nipple has been snapped off at some previous time. Car started easily, but was, naturally, lumpy. No heat in the car from the vents, and engine temp running over 115 and doing odd things.

Head scratching.

Mark did some stuff and it made some difference, but still not right. Then he pulled some pipes off and stuck a screwdriver in something and went ahha! There was a SECOND thermostat in some part at the back of the engine block! Some previous codging seemingly decided there was no thermostat that is, so Mark says, on the front of the engine block, so they shoved a second one at the back of the engine block which was causing all manner of problems! He pulled it out, reconnected hoses and did something magical and wizardly and the car now purrs, the heat coming from the vents inside is incredibly hot and controllable, and the engine temp wouldn't go above 92!

There are a couple of things to do, like replace the pipe with the snapped off bleed nipple, and eventually replace the turbo at some future date, and of course, after running it a bit, do an oil and water change as they are flushing the poop out of the engine from the HGF. But it ought to now not break for a good long while!

Mind you, had I spent an extra £200, I could have brought a ZT that didn't have any issues at all, but then what would I do with the 75? Scrap a perfectly good, albeit damp and broken engine-d car? Couldn't do that for reasons of recyling! Also, I do like that stupid problematic car for some reason!

But, now the heater works, I'm going to try to dry out the interior with heat and de-humidifiers and wet suck vacuum cleaner and hope I don't have to strip the entire interior.

Now all I need to do is decide if I want to spend £800 to £1000 on getting my Honda back on the road.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote