Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th August 2017, 20:31   #1
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default 1.8T turbo replacement

Hello! So...I had me 1.8turbo connie done, with cylinder liners shimmed and the engine re-done nicely. However, the mechanic said the turbo isn't in the best of health and will require replacing at some future date.
Now, this isn't an immediate problem of course, BUT if I have to replace it, I may as well "upgrade" it, whereupon this thread comes into itself. I have searched all over the place, but not knowing the correct terminology to search for, I have been unsuccessful in coming up with any answers.

1 - is it worth changing the original turbo for the same model, or a different make?
1b - If a different make (such as K&N for air filters for example) is wirth getting, which make?

1c - If the same turbo is the better, or more preferred option, then a new one, rebuilt, second hand or reconditioned one?

2 - If a new turbo is fitted, will I need a remap? And if an uprated turbo is fitted (if there is such a thing for a 1.8 K series engine) what difference will it make to the engine for performance?

2b - Is it worth the effort to fit an uprated turbo with a remap, because I presume I'd have to have a rolling-road made custom map at many hundreds of pounds as oppose to sticking a standard T4 map on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I know nothing about these things and can't seem to find any info that makes sense to my tiny mind.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 23:42   #2
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

1. Same model, just get a new CHRA (the centre bit) and swap the compressor and exhaust housings over. Personally I'd go for one built in the UK, not a cheap Chinese import.

1b. Wouldn't bother personally, just stick to an original paper job and replace on a regular service.

1c. Go for the same turbo - See 1 above.

2. No, you wont need a remap. If you want more perfomance try https://www.kmaps.co.uk/

2b. Again, I'd stick to the regular GT25, and if you want more omph, have a remap.
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 09:23   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Just to broaden your options, turbos made in China are actually very good quality and most 'UK' suppliers actually have their stuff made there. Garrett turbos have a manufacturing base in China. Several members have reported excellent results from competitively priced stuff.
For example: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=242273

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 17th August 2017 at 09:35..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 10:55   #4
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Banana still has her original turbo and the mileage is 189,500. Car has been re-mapped and the head has been ported.

233,320. New rear tyres on order for BBB.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 12:06   #5
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arryhall View Post
Hello! So...I had me 1.8turbo connie done, with cylinder liners shimmed and the engine re-done nicely. However, the mechanic said the turbo isn't in the best of health and will require replacing at some future date.
Now, this isn't an immediate problem of course, BUT if I have to replace it, I may as well "upgrade" it, whereupon this thread comes into itself. I have searched all over the place, but not knowing the correct terminology to search for, I have been unsuccessful in coming up with any answers.

1 - is it worth changing the original turbo for the same model, or a different make?
1b - If a different make (such as K&N for air filters for example) is wirth getting, which make?

1c - If the same turbo is the better, or more preferred option, then a new one, rebuilt, second hand or reconditioned one?

2 - If a new turbo is fitted, will I need a remap? And if an uprated turbo is fitted (if there is such a thing for a 1.8 K series engine) what difference will it make to the engine for performance?

2b - Is it worth the effort to fit an uprated turbo with a remap, because I presume I'd have to have a rolling-road made custom map at many hundreds of pounds as oppose to sticking a standard T4 map on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I know nothing about these things and can't seem to find any info that makes sense to my tiny mind.
1. Definitely get rid of that paper air filter, very restrictive it is.
Get either a pipercross or a K&N.

2. You don't necessarily need to replace your turbo, you can have it overhauled, Turbo Technics are worth contacting on this.

3. Again you don't necessarily need a remap but I think it's well worth it especially for the money - https://www.kmaps.co.uk/mg-zt-turbo

4. Another thing is to make sure your Shannon Tube is intact, it's on the ride hand side (looking from the front of the car) up under the wing.
You can use this to replace it 70mm diameter and 1 metre length and choose orange, will have to cut to fit but it's cheap, Cold air ducting.

5. From a personal point I would go for a better exhaust.

Neil
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 12:12   #6
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Yes you can uprate to any larger turbo but the engine wont take the power, they are really only good safely upto the 200bhp mark.

That is easily achieved on a remap from kmaps, i would change the exhaust to a more free flowing setup, replace the air filter with a nice k&n or pipercross etc.
Then just have the turbo reconditioned or as above buy a CHRA and swap it over yourself, just make sure you prime it with oil before starting the car for the first time.

And thats about it really
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 14:33   #7
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRS View Post
Yes you can uprate to any larger turbo but the engine wont take the power, they are really only good safely upto the 200bhp mark.

That is easily achieved on a remap from kmaps, i would change the exhaust to a more free flowing setup, replace the air filter with a nice k&n or pipercross etc.
Then just have the turbo reconditioned or as above buy a CHRA and swap it over yourself, just make sure you prime it with oil before starting the car for the first time.

And thats about it really
Now that is not true, Bob's "Flying Banana" is way past 200bhp.

The engine will happily handle without changing the crank and upgrading the gearbox/clutch up to 300bhp.
Having said that I do know of someone who has a monster K-Series engine in an MG ZR, pushing close to 400bhp.

I spent months looking into what can and can't be done to these engines, speaking to many people including Bob and many others so I have fair idea of what they can and can't take bhp wise.

Most of it depends on on how much money you have which is the case for most things.
But now I have my MG ZT-T back, I sold my Rover 75 1.8T.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 15:04   #8
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
Now that is not true, Bob's "Flying Banana" is way past 200bhp.

The engine will happily handle without changing the crank and upgrading the gearbox/clutch up to 300bhp.
Having said that I do know of someone who has a monster K-Series engine in an MG ZR, pushing close to 400bhp.

I spent months looking into what can and can't be done to these engines, speaking to many people including Bob and many others so I have fair idea of what they can and can't take bhp wise.

Most of it depends on on how much money you have which is the case for most things.
But now I have my MG ZT-T back, I sold my Rover 75 1.8T.
The re-map took the 'nana up to 205. I could have had it taken up to 210, after that K Maps, formerly Z & F, would not guarantee that the engine could take the power.
Since the re-map we have had the head ported. No idea what the BHP is now as it needs to go on the rolling road.

233,320. New rear tyres on order for BBB.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 15:15   #9
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

There is something appealing about a standard looking 75 on crown alloys pushing out 200bhp 😏.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 15:27   #10
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Wow! Thanks people. I wasn't expecting so much info.

I only know that the mechanic said the turbo was on its' way out due to the HGF now repaired. If I hammer the car, it won't last long, but it'll be okay provided I'm sensible.
They said a new turbo is £500 or something, reconditioned is about £250 or something, but then there's the eBay thing and internals. So, reading what has been said, internals look like the better option as I can do that and know it'll be fine, as oppose to a "reconditioned" turbo. I did that on my old SAAB when that turbo died, and it was never right so I'm wary of the quality of reconditioned things!

The air filter was an example of a brand name replacing oem parts, as I don't know the names of any turbos, but I intend to replace the air filter with a decent one, like what I did on me bike, which did make a big difference. Just wanted the engine to actually work first....

Neil: 4. Another thing is to make sure your Shannon Tube is intact, it's on the ride hand side (looking from the front of the car) up under the wing.
You can use this to replace it 70mm diameter and 1 metre length and choose orange, will have to cut to fit but it's cheap, Cold air ducting.

I'd never even given the cold air ducting a thought to be honest! Not entirely sure what a Shannon tube is, but I'll go look it up and sort it if needs be. Thanks.

TomRS, all the hair flew out of my back box one day so it's now a lot more "free flowing" than it was . Once I get all the engine sorted and reliable, then I'll look at other upgrades such as the exhaust and remap and silicone hoses. It's the turbo that has me a little worried at the moment as I don't want my new engine to die any time soon!

Thanks people. I wish I knew more about this stuff.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote