Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th September 2017, 15:43   #11
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Just done mine. They were a funny pitted green like colour and I decided that was a bad look.

Taped up the plastic bumper and light surrounds, then wet & dry sand paper at grit 800, then 100, then 1200, then 2000, then 2500.
Got a drill attachment polishing thing off eBay ages ago for about £3, and shoved a sponge on the drill, T-cut the plastic, swapped the foam pad and polished with Turtle wax. Absolutely clear as anything now. What I would have liked to do is de-grease and then spray clear coat on them to protect them better, but it was raining! So I'll do that later.

the 2 outside lights took an hour from start to finish, and they look amazing. Total cost was about £8, including the wet and dry and the polishing kit. Actual cost was nothing as I had all these from paining and finishing guitars.

Terrible pictures as my phone is old and knackered and it was wet and overcast, but this gives a small idea of how they look. They look about a brazzillion times better in the flesh though. Except the inner lights. Not done them yet, and they look worse in the flesh!

Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 17:30   #12
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
After 1200 use 2500 then G3 compound. I used a Meguiars stage 2 polish after that as well before applying some sealant, and got some pretty good results.
"....applying some sealant,...."
Can you explain what the sealant is, how it's applied etc. and for how long the lens gets added protection. I've gone through the W&D process with pretty good results but 12 months down the line and my Mk2 headlights are more or less back to cloudy and dirty
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 14:16   #13
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Hi,

If you're around on Saturday (16th) and can make it to the Midlands nano meet at Four Ashes I'll have a look and see what I can do to help.

Andy.
HI Andy.
Albert always pops into the nano every meet, so another one for your list great that you are contributing this help much appreciated Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 21:30   #14
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Can you explain what the sealant is, how it's applied etc. and for how long the lens gets added protection. I've gone through the W&D process with pretty good results but 12 months down the line and my Mk2 headlights are more or less back to cloudy and dirty
Mine too.-----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 21:49   #15
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
I usually seal mine with AutoGlymm Silicone Resin Polish (SRP). It's actually intended for sealing the bodywork (clearcoat) and lasts quite well between major washes, but it also works well on the headlights. Always polish the lights when you polish the rest of the car and they should stay clean and clear: if you neglect them or //shudder// use TFR* or commercial car washes a lot then they'll cloud back over. There are specific sealants for plastic headlight lenses out there as well.

*Traffic film remover - as favoured by your local hand car wash. Works quick and leaves a very clean surface which looks fine.... for a few days - but damages paintwork, window seals, powder coating on the wheels, and plastics, when used excessively as the majority of these hand washes do.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote