Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th September 2017, 20:47   #1
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default Air filters.

Changing the oil and oil filter on my R75, 1.8t, and my mate asked about the air filter and when it had been changed. I actually have no idea! So I thought I'd have a quick look. K&N air filters are well known, but what is the difference really between a K&N and an oem filter? The K&N is designed to last a lifetime of the car, and improve airflow, whereas the oem is a throw away item every...whatever they say is the lifespan.
Thing is, I'm wondering what the difference actually is, and is it worth the extra money? I would have thought that a more restrictive filter takes out more gunk from the air that you don't want in the engine so would ultimately be a better thing for the lifespan of the engine. And if improved air flow is better for the car, then why not go stupid and have no filter?

Not being facetious, I genuinely don't know! All I've heard is people talking about how good aftermarket stuff is, and K&N have been mentioned. In fact, it is the ONLY make of filter I can name!
Can anyone help fill the hole in my knowledge with information and experience? I've google searched but to be honest, I don't know how much I trust some of the stuff I've read.

This is probably in the wrong forum, but I'm genuinely interested as I have decided to actually do things with this car as oppose to paying other people to do things to it for me, then at least I know it's been done (although, probably not correctly!).
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 20:53   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Well, I fitted a K&N panel filter to the original airbox, all fine, no problems, then I tried an induction filter & I love it combined with s/s exhaust, the noise is lovely
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 21:57   #3
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Well, I fitted a K&N panel filter to the original airbox, all fine, no problems, then I tried an induction filter & I love it combined with s/s exhaust, the noise is lovely

That's looking nice. Bit more effort involved in that than what I'm capable of, but LOVE that stainless battery cover.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote