Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th September 2017, 16:36   #21
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Mans 190 View Post
Yes thats the one
Oh I want that.
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 16:44   #22
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
And your friend is going to scrap the car for this, needs a straight jacket if I may be so rude!!! each to their own I guess.

We try very hard to encourage the preservation of these beautiful cars and a clutch replacement is not a terminal condition, I am sorry if I appear rude.
It may well be more than they can justify paying for and they might well consider the parts are worth more than the car?

If you want to 'preserve' the car I would expect the seller would let you buy the whole car and do the clutch yourself?
Mintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2017, 16:47   #23
Rooney
Suspended

It's amazing how rude people can be, especially on fakebook.

It's his car, he can do what he wants with it and at least he hasn't done the tedious listing it with a threat it'll be scrapped if nobody buys it.
Old 20th September 2017, 18:50   #24
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Mans 190 View Post
My mate has got very upset over the amount of people moaning ... about him breaking the car and the end of the day it's his motor and if he wants to break it then so be it ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney View Post
It's his car, he can do what he wants with it ...
Graham & Gerard; you are both right of course. It is his property so its fate is in his hands alone. However, that fact should not in my view be used to try to silence the expression of alternative opinions. These decisions should always be open to free discussion. Who knows, Graham's mate may decide that it would be sensible to repair the car after all. If you post a contentious intention on a car enthusiasts' forum you have to expect to receive some adverse comments, so please don't complain when they appear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
We try very hard to encourage the preservation of these beautiful cars and a clutch replacement is not a terminal condition ...

What we're seeing here is brutal economics overriding everything else. I've just spent more than the trade-in value of my 'dealer launch' car having a corroded jacking point and outer sill reconstructed and do you know what? I feel very proud of my decision, even though I know that I won't get my money back.

Simon
Old 20th September 2017, 18:57   #25
Rooney
Suspended

You're quite right Simon, it shouldn't be used to silence alternative options but nor should people be abused for making an end of life decision about a car that they own based on what they believe is right for their circumstances.

No problem with someone saying have you considered x, y or z?

Where it becomes an issue, for me anyway, is when people become abusive in a bid to sway someone to their way of thinking.

And the whole emotional blackmail rubbish really grates:- like

Here's my launch car, if it hasn't sold by Friday I'll be breaking/scrapping/torching it.

Old 20th September 2017, 19:04   #26
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney View Post
Where it becomes an issue, for me anyway, is when people become abusive in a bid to sway someone to their way of thinking.

And the whole emotional blackmail rubbish really grates:- like

Here's my launch car, if it hasn't sold by Friday I'll be breaking/scrapping/torching it.

Quote:
... when people become abusive in a bid to sway someone to their way of thinking.
I was subjected to this recently by a popular member of the club for daring to suggest that timing belts do not need to be renewed on a time basis.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 20th September 2017 at 19:07..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 14:06   #27
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintee View Post
It may well be more than they can justify paying for and they might well consider the parts are worth more than the car?

If you want to 'preserve' the car I would expect the seller would let you buy the whole car and do the clutch yourself?
Parts are only worth what people are willing to pay for, if there are those who are crazy enough to pay stupid money well and good, this is a Club for those who are interested in preserving the cars, at least that is my interpretation of it those interested in breaking cars again that is their business, their car so they can do as they wish, I personally could not care less whether they repair their car, sell it, scrap it, give it away or pickle it in vinegar, I am just saying we encourage members to repair, preserve and enjoy, that is all I am saying, not being rude just reminding people what this club is about, of course if I am wrong and I am being insensitive then I apologise.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 16:22   #28
Le Mans 190
I really should get out more.......

RIP Le Mans 190 :(

Everyone is allowed an opinion but there is a fine line from wanting to see a car
saved then being dam right rude
Most seem to want spares for nothing when given a price they get the NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-

I have not made up my mine 100% yet
Le Mans 190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 19:42   #29
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Well, when I clicked on the link to have a looksee, the eBay told me that page wasn't available. Must have gone in the 2 days since that was posted. Shame, I fancied a look at it as it sounded yummy.

Oh, and I agree. I could have scrapped my 75 when the HGF and leaks and suspension and etc. etc. but I love the car, so have kept it and paid more to fix it than I could ever get for it selling it. Annoyingly, I brought it from a dealer so I WOULDN'T have to deal with these things, but there you go. I drove it, I like it, I decided to keep it. And, if the bits are cheap enough, I'll have a go at fixing things myself. Well, until something catastrophic happens and I would have to pay thousands, then it can be scrapped, but till then, I'll keep it on the road as best as I can, and upgrade bits as and when I can \ can afford. Handbrake compensator is looming...

Last edited by Arryhall; 22nd September 2017 at 19:45..
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2018, 06:57   #30
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Thread revival.

What happened to this car?!!!!

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block