Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th September 2017, 16:08   #1
JimSharp39
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Default SORN fine.

Anyone any experience of this...
Yesterday I got a notice of a fine from the DVLA about my car being photographed by an ANPR camera when under SORN. The car was indeed in use but I have never SORNED it. It should be taxed till the end of this month. A quick check online shows the car as untaxed and SORNED. Clearly a computer says no moment, but anyone come across this error before? Of course the DVLA number is only 9-5 Mon to Fri so will be tomorrow before I can speak to one of their nuggets.
Cheers all
Jim
JimSharp39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 16:26   #2
Amsca2
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T cdti

Is it possible your direct debit wasn't paid? Pm rav I think he had a sorn issue.
Old 24th September 2017, 16:47   #3
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

I would be checking my bank for proof of payment.
As long as you have that, they can't argue.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 16:55   #4
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

I thought that to SORN a vehicle one had to take positive action? an untaxed vehicle is that.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 17:11   #5
RoverRyan
Avid contributor

Rover 75

could there be something up with the system?
I bought a car with no intention of running it on the road and the V5 came through I SORNED it online, weeks pass and I get a letter saying take immediate action, so I SORNED online again this time taking note of the transaction number and again the following day, all this time it still comes up on the system as untaxed, its been there 3 months now and they haven't said anything. stick to using the Post Office.

My Car...

was the 97,610th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
was the 2,001st 75 1.8 T Connoisseur to be made out of 2,392
was the 10,746th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
RoverRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 17:41   #6
JimSharp39
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Default Sorn tale

I do have the proof of payment and I will be of course asking how the sorn was made tomorrow. I know it was showing as taxed early August, as I tested it myself using anpr at work, so its definitely a computer howler, just interested in understanding how awkward the dvla will be. Im quite happy to go to court but its such a hassle.
Jim
Old 24th September 2017, 18:16   #7
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Another point to remember is that a SORN is not transferable. Buy a SORN car and you must SORN it again as the new owner. Fail to do so and you will be charged all the back dated VED on the car.
Old 24th September 2017, 18:29   #8
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

I HATE the DVLA. When someone I know of had to send their license back for renewal, they lost the motorcycle entitlement. When he appealed, their response was "We can't make mistakes." It was on Watchdog and everything. They ended up having to re-do their motorcycle test!

Be wary of the devious, unhelpful, evil, useless, nasty, self-absorbed money-grabbing spawns of Satan. Good luck, and keep us posted!
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 18:44   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arryhall View Post
I HATE the DVLA. When someone I know of had to send their license back for renewal, they lost the motorcycle entitlement. When he appealed, their response was "We can't make mistakes." It was on Watchdog and everything. They ended up having to re-do their motorcycle test!

Be wary of the devious, unhelpful, evil, useless, nasty, self-absorbed money-grabbing spawns of Satan. Good luck, and keep us posted!
I have read of this, and the general consensus is to photocopy the old one, to be able to have some kind of back up to the argument. But apparently, they still dont make mistakes lol

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 19:06   #10
JimSharp39
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Default Dvla

Lol, the DVLA are nuggets but they do make mistakes. I recently bought a nx650 and when I went to tax it the DVLA said 'naw'. There was a discrepancy between the frame no. on the MoT certificate and the V5. I saw immediately what the mistake was, sent them a letter explaining what was wrong and they rectified it immediately. And the mistake was on the v5 and not the mot. So that time they were very fair. However, I see this latest SORN debauchle turning out to be painful and protracted.
To answer one of the other contributors to this thread, I dont pay my tax monthly, I paid 6 months up front. And have never SORNEd the car. I look forward to seeing their evidence for the SORN.
Cheers
Jim