Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th September 2017, 19:03   #11
myrover2013
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE in copper leaf red

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRS View Post
Noticed that a lot of members are moving on and that a lot of known cars are slowly exchanging hands.
It saddens me that these things are so cheap, browsing the classifieds and seeing some of the offerings from forum members.....

Firstly kudos for keeping them well looked after and for being genuine enthusiasts of a great car.
Sorry to see you all moving on, but it hurts me that some either get scrapped or broken up because no one wants them.
Obviously selling in a club is hard as anyone on here who has one probably wont buy one, most people will have bought one before they join here.

But regardless, its just so upsetting to see some of these things scrapped/broken or sold for pennies.
I HOPE they become a future classic as i genuinely love driving my ZT.
the government dont want us to drive any cars in 15 years time, so no diesel , no petrol,
myrover2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 19:29   #12
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post
and at a fraction of the annual running cost of the 75
What we mustn't forget Keith, is the depreciation that's suffered by new cars. It's all too easy to complain about an older vehicle such as ours, when you are paying out £200 here and £300 there, as you 'see it' going from your pocket.

But an average new model costing maybe £15,000 - £20,000 (and most are bought with finance of some kind nowadays) will be loosing around £250 EVERY month for the first three years.

On top of that, you'll likely be paying interest on the finance. Or if you paid cash, then you'll be loosing interest on your savings.
Old 26th September 2017, 21:01   #13
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Mine's not going anywhere.

And should a time come when I have to change it, I'll be getting another one - and to hell with the government's scrappage scheme.
Old 26th September 2017, 21:12   #14
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

I've been offered a fair price for mine a couple of times recently but this one is a keeper i think. It's been a while since a car has got it's hooks into me like this one has.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 21:15   #15
Cortinadave
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

I struggled to find a decent one when I was looking a couple of months back. There were a few possibles on here,but bizarrely the sellers ignored messages!

Took me a couple of months to get one that fitted the bill. I had a grand to play with and all I wanted was a ZT 190 or CDTi with 100k or less, belts done and some of the toys., Surprisingly difficult.
Cortinadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 07:59   #16
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
What we mustn't forget Keith, is the depreciation that's suffered by new cars. It's all too easy to complain about an older vehicle such as ours, when you are paying out £200 here and £300 there, as you 'see it' going from your pocket.

But an average new model costing maybe £15,000 - £20,000 (and most are bought with finance of some kind nowadays) will be loosing around £250 EVERY month for the first three years.

On top of that, you'll likely be paying interest on the finance. Or if you paid cash, then you'll be loosing interest on your savings.

Very good point here.

I'm not rich enough or vain enough or "keep up with the neighbours" enough to worry about having a lovely, comfy, refined 16 year old car.

She mine, all paid for and the only "costs" are running her.

If that means a few hundred £££'s every now and then that's petty cash compared to newer car ownership.

Andy.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 08:21   #17
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
It has also seemed very quiet on the forum just lately. They are a great set of cars but if you are not so good at spannering, they will probably be quite daunting to take on as they are all at least 12 years old now. Good ones are hard to come by but they do crop up now and then. With expensive maintenance jobs such as clutches, head gaskets or cambelts (V6), the cost can be more than the cars are valued at by the trade. As long as I am able to do my own repairs/servicing etc., I shall continue to be a Rover 75 owner.
It's true, if you dont have some spanner skills and you know your way round why would you buy a 75/ZT
The problem is no one knows what they are, because of the stigma over headgaskets and things, you mention "Rover" and instantly everyone runs into a corner... "No, you dont want one of those, headgaskets"
And anyone will say this, be it people who are into cars and others who arent, Rover name sticks as the one to avoid.
So the market becomes people looking for a cheap run around or people who love them... like this club.
Or the Converts who end up falling in love and keeping the run-about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post
It is sad to see the valuations drop and people moving on, I myself have a 1.8 saloon that I have offered for swaps, sadly no one wants the cars, I fear my choice will be to break it in the new year to claw a little of the money back.

I am currently abroad in a modern hire car, and really do appreciate all the toys and gizmos that come with modern day cars, and at a fraction of the annual running cost of the 75

I see why no one is taking them.

Sad but true
Thats the problem, as above they just are not wanted, they are seen as expensive to run, failed scrap... Thats why no one ever wants one.
Having owning 2 "luxury" cars of the same Era as the ZT/75 my Audi A4 and Honda Legend are totally swings and roundabouts, the Honda is a big leather sofa with a few toys like memory and heated full leathers, xenons and a 3.5l V6 coupled to an awful 4spd Autobox.
But its on 122k miles and literally has never ever had anything done barring maintenance we bought it from an old chap, 1 owner from new... So you compare all 3 and the ZT really is much more equipped and ahead of its time, the Honda tops is with its soild reliability and the Audi trumps it in the fact its done 200k and has also barely had any bits done to it, the ZT is on 117k and has had all sorts done we all know the usual stuff!
So it just puts you off... its why they are worth so little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
I'm only selling my V8 ZTT as I have nowhere to park it. What with a bus stop, double yellows and a school to contend with.
Thats such a Shame Bob, why would you sell the V8 and not the 1.8T? or are you not as attached to the V8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post

Thats the best way of looking at it, Take my RS6 i had as some of you will remember as an example of depreciation, that thing was £94,483 when it was brand new in 2010.
I bought the car in back end of 2014 december time, and i paid just £27,500 for it.
Had 63k on the clock granted but i owned that for about 18 months, i mean it was a heap and it cost a fortune because its such a shocking design, but i'll not go into details.
But just quantifies the disgusting loss of money on newer "high" end cars, anything new loses money, otherwise our ZT's would still be worth something... its natural and that alone shouldnt stop you buying something newer.
For me i love being in the Merc, the shear number of toys and comfort is just insane, i can be massaged and cooled by my seat if i want... so as much as i love my ZT and i'll never part, it certainly wouldnt stop me buying something newer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 View Post
Mine's not going anywhere.

And should a time come when I have to change it, I'll be getting another one - and to hell with the government's scrappage scheme.
Here here! haha! i have saved about 5 over the last 2yrs of being into the 75/ZT group and i own 2 now, love them to bits but still enjoy my newer modern toys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I've been offered a fair price for mine a couple of times recently but this one is a keeper i think. It's been a while since a car has got it's hooks into me like this one has.
They just seem to do that, i mean fundamentally they are a plethora of problems and everyone knows the common faults....
Its funny i've spent more on the ZT in the last year of ownership than i have on my Audi/Honda that ive had about the same time! yet i would never get rid!
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 10:26   #18
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

I found this forum after I'd brought my 75, and really do wish I'd found it before and got a members car that was already sorted. Having said that, for £600, I've had the hgf done, the piston liners shimmed and the engine sorted in a way i never have in any other car, and I now trust it to take me anywhere. I paid less than a grand for the car, and it the most luxurious car I've ever owned, and it seems to actually want you to spanner it. It's so easy to work on, that I've done an oil change and messed with the turbo; things I'd never attempt on other cars I owned. But Rover has a reputation for breaking and that will never change, unfortunately, so the cars value will never reflect their worth. And new cars have lower tax and running costs due to fuel economy, so as an old design, will never compete with the cost savings to be made on hybrid cars, if you take out depreciation.

Wish i'd got my hands on a members ZTT in sexy blue, diesel for mileage, auto for convenience, cruise control and Navall installed, that I saw about a month AFTER I'd got my 75, that was cheaper with fewer miles on.

Still, I do like my 75. Just slowly improving it monthly.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 14:53   #19
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

I joined this forum just before I bought my zt (2006/7) . I don't intend going anywhere soon, in fact I bought a ztt just last year to keep the other company. These I use as daily drivers depending on my mood and what needs carrying. Both cars have the v6 engine which I think are fine engines ( not the fastest or most economical) although the tt being the automatic is a little thirsty unless on the motorway. If the right car came along I would certainly consider a third car like a lot on this forum who have multiple 75/zts. Just a thought but are these cars choosing their owners (we know how clever they are) knowing who is going to love and cherish them even when they throw their toys out the pram!
Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 20:34   #20
shushey

Rover 75 tourer

I joined the forum a couple of months before buying my Connie se tourer to both learn more about the model and looking to buy one. All I knew about 75s was that I had always loved their styling and they were now very cheap. So through the forum I decided that what I wanted was a pre facelift diesel auto tourer with the sandstone leather. I would have paid up to 2k to get a decent one. Unfortunately their were none advertised here that matched my wants. Pity as the members cars for sale on here look so much better cared for than the one I ended up buying on eBay for a grand. My car looks pretty beaten up with every panel scratched and needing a new bonnet and missing some interior trim but I just love it. It's the most comfortable car I have ever owned and I love the old school luxury and styling inside.
I went to visit Big Russ (thoroughly decent chap) for a t4 session and servicing of all filters and oils. I have confidence my car will start every morning and will take me anywhere. What more can you ask for?
shushey is offline   Reply With Quote