Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th December 2017, 20:55   #1
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default Dented Serpent

Yes, it has inevitably happened. Last night, on a very wet and dark evening, the small pothole that I reported a while ago, finally collapsed and was buried under a river of water and invisible until my front wheel hit it at about 25 and went ker-blammo. Fortunately the rear survived. Annoyingly, a brand new tyre was on that wheel too. Poo.

I stopped, I got my jack out (oooh-er!) and started to lift the car and the turny-hole end bit on the jack snapped off!!!

Fortunately, there were 4 other cars that pulled up behind me all with newly knackered wheels or flat tyres, so I borrowed a jack, changed my wheel, helped the other three people out and drove off in a convoy just as yet another car pulled up behind our little row of freshly re-booted cars with a flat from the pot hole. Every one of us called the police about it and yet an hour later, there was still no sign! 3 hours later, when I had to go past again (impossibly carefully!) there was a guy throwing a bag of tarmac into the hole. Today, that "filled" hole is now.....more of a dent, as the repair is slowly but surely being washed out of the hole and by tomorrow, or Wednesday at the latest, it will be back.

2 questions for you good people:

1) is there a member on here what can fix my dented Serpent so i can have my wheel back? I can take it to a place fairly locally, but I'd rather support the good people on here who have helped me immeasurably with prior car issues. And I mean support, as in pay for the work to be done, naturally! I'd love to get all 4 wheels refinished and looking all sexy but it's the cost, and now this has happened, I'm almost glad I didn't go to that expense!

2) Is it worth getting a set of refurbished wheels off the old eBay? They seem to be about £250 for a set, less if you want them kerbed and knackered! I've seen new ones for £200 a wheel. I'd opt for a different wheel if I didn't like the look of the Serpents so much!

So there it is. And yes, I took pictures of the hole, and as I was doing so, cars kept driving into it even as I gesticulated to them that there was a big hole and I was taking pictures of it. I got splashed. A lot. And at least I have pictures to send to the council for recompense, not that I'll actually get any, but it's worth a try!
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2017, 21:40   #2
Proud owner
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Whilst not answering either of your questions, I hope you pursue with all vigour compensation from your local Council for the damage caused to your wheel.

If you had reported it the Council and they had failed to repair it, specially if they had marked it in either blue or red paint, then they are legally responsible for any subsequent damage caused by their negligence in repairing the hazard.

Our country's roads are amongst the worst in Europe (with car manufacturers providing specific suspension settings to cope with it) and the Highways Departments of our Councils (plus the Highways Agency for the roads under their jurisdiction) have been guilty for years and years of chronic under-spending neglecting repairs, which even when undertaken if my local council is typical, are so unfit for purpose they need doing again after a few months. Councils rarely hold to account the utility company's when they are responsible for some of the damage.

I could say more having attended many Highways Panel meetings of my District and County Council and seen how chaotically they are run, but will cease my rant now......
Proud owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2017, 22:49   #3
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

As a county councillor myself I hope that you get your due compo off the council.

Myself and my fellow councillor in the ward that I represent have had to fight tooth and nail for compensation for a resident in a case such as this.

Bizarrely we were told that there was a certain legislation or condition that if a council has inspected a road within the last 6 months it is not responsible for damage caused by potholes not identified or evident at the time of the inspection.

To be honest I've never heard anything more ridiculous.

If the pothole in the scenario outlined above involves a pothole already identified and repaired badly I would hope that you have an easier battle with authority than we had.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2017, 23:42   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

That I'm afraid looks to be too far gone to heat up and beat into shape

How about something along these lines?

LINK

It would be cheaper and dare I say it better than having yours repaired

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 22:38   #5
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
That I'm afraid looks to be too far gone to heat up and beat into shape

How about something along these lines?

LINK

It would be cheaper and dare I say it better than having yours repaired

Brian
Thanks, I looked at all the ones for sale I could find, but they are all proper grotty and gouged. Mine have a small amount of kerbing on the rim from when I got the car, but these look attacked with a chisel.
Did see a full set of refurbished ones but they are over £200 and i only need 1!

Maybe I need to change the wheels to a different style.
Old 20th December 2017, 17:35   #6
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

At £44.95 delivered for one in reasonable condition as per Brian’s link it seems a good deal to me. You’ll struggle to get a full set in shoddy condition for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 21:45   #7
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default It's a Christmas Miracle!

Took the wheel to Top Marques in Fenton this morning. They were very suspicious of the wheel being repairable without it splitting. They were even more wary of the wheel being twisted. However, the twist was minimal, and I got a phone call this afternoon...the wheel is done!

It is straightened, balanced and they even painted the minor scuffing on the rims (like that when I got the car). I pick it up tomorrow morning. And the cost? £45 + VAT.

Phew!!!! Did NOT expect that. Happy happy joy joy.
Old 20th December 2017, 22:37   #8
Proud owner
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

That's great news they've been able to fix it, I'm pleased for you. I hope however you claim reimbursement for the £54 it has cost you.
Proud owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 22:51   #9
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud owner View Post
That's great news they've been able to fix it, I'm pleased for you. I hope however you claim reimbursement for the £54 it has cost you.
Thanks. I was amazed they could fix it and even shocked when it didn't split when they got it back to round! And I have asked for a claim form from the council which they have said they will post. Why they can't email it so I can attach the pictures and other bits of info, I don't know, but I shall keep the receipt and see what happens.

Buy huzzar for having me wheels back to looking good. I do like the look of the serpents and wouldn't know what to replace them with if I had to.
Old 15th January 2018, 07:57   #10
Nantwich 75
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arryhall View Post
Took the wheel to Top Marques in Fenton this morning. They were very suspicious of the wheel being repairable without it splitting. They were even more wary of the wheel being twisted. However, the twist was minimal, and I got a phone call this afternoon...the wheel is done!

It is straightened, balanced and they even painted the minor scuffing on the rims (like that when I got the car). I pick it up tomorrow morning. And the cost? £45 + VAT.

Phew!!!! Did NOT expect that. Happy happy joy joy.
Have you got a photo of the repaired wheel by any chance?

Mike
Nantwich 75 is offline   Reply With Quote