Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th June 2018, 12:27   #21
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

Mine passed today with an advisory ;Potential corrosion of brake pipes due to being covered in grease..I have always greased my brake pipes .Does that mean that all metal painted may be potentially corroded ?
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 13:02   #22
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantallon View Post
Mine passed today with an advisory ;Potential corrosion of brake pipes due to being covered in grease..I have always greased my brake pipes .Does that mean that all metal painted may be potentially corroded ?

I would say no because it is usually very easy to see whether metal under a layer of paint is corroded. The same is not rue of grease.

I coat mine in clear Waxoyl so the tester can see the condition of the pipes yet the protection is there.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 13:27   #23
kev-rev180
Avid contributor

mg ztt 190+

just took my zt 190 passed nothing wrong at all it flew through it i was a bit concerned before she went for her heath check as it was the fist year in our relationship but she flew through it happy days
kev-rev180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 18:16   #24
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
With the stricter regulations, not being able to see through the screen properly due to the bad blade would be considered a major fault.

Much as we don’t like it sometimes, the MOT system had to be given this neccesary overhaul.
Or.. looking at it another way, this is just another angle of attack for the government to remove more old cars off the road, by means of frightening joe public with a change of language on the test report and making it far more of a PITA for the owner to get the car home or to another garage to be repaired at a reasonable price.

Because once the vehicle is stuck at the test station, you are at the mercy of the garage as to the potential cost of repair. Even if your friend down the road from you could fix it for a pint and a favour.. You're basically held to ransom and I'd imagine there will be many owners who will now just turn around and say "scrap it" .

Plus, its empowering a dodgy garage to fail a perfectly good car and charge for unnecessary work, and use the new rules to effectively print money even easier than they did before!
^Be kind, Subscribe^ (MGR videos )
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 19:00   #25
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz View Post
Or.. looking at it another way, this is just another angle of attack for the government to remove more old cars off the road, by means of frightening joe public with a change of language on the test report and making it far more of a PITA for the owner to get the car home or to another garage to be repaired at a reasonable price.

Because once the vehicle is stuck at the test station, you are at the mercy of the garage as to the potential cost of repair. Even if your friend down the road from you could fix it for a pint and a favour.. You're basically held to ransom and I'd imagine there will be many owners who will now just turn around and say "scrap it" .

Plus, its empowering a dodgy garage to fail a perfectly good car and charge for unnecessary work, and use the new rules to effectively print money even easier than they did before!
The MOT station can’t stop you from driving a failed car away.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 21:13   #26
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc. View Post
My wife's Mini required an MOT and I expected it to pass. However, it failed because I had overlooked that the driver side windscreen wiper missed a very small area in the middle.
But why it was considered to be a major fail, needing immediate attention, I just don't know! Rant over!

Malc it would have failed under the old MOT test as well.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 21:17   #27
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I just wish they would align the MOT with construction & use, at least then it might make more sense.
trikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 21:45   #28
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
The MOT station can’t stop you from driving a failed car away.
Legally no.. but 'legally' I'm guessing you can't drive it either.

And I'd bet many people when told this fact with a low value car, on top of possible 'serious faults' and 'dangerous faults' thrown at them will consider the hassle not worth it. Thus, another old motor scratched off the gov list.

I just think the underlying tactic behind it is really just another way of scrapping low value vehicles. The fail sheet language certainly makes the vehicle look far worse than it is.. and to people who don't know there cars, they will be more pushed to ditch a 'dangerous' vehicle.
^Be kind, Subscribe^ (MGR videos )

Last edited by Mgaz; 30th June 2018 at 21:48..
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 21:52   #29
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz View Post
Legally no.. but 'legally' I'm guessing you can't drive it either.

And I'd bet many people when told this fact with a low value car, on top of possible 'serious faults' and 'dangerous faults' thrown at them will consider the hassle not worth it. Thus, another old motor scratched off the gov list.

I just think the underlying tactic behind it is really just another way of scrapping low value vehicles. The fail sheet language certainly makes the vehicle look far worse than it is.. and to people who don't know there cars, they will be more pushed to ditch a 'dangerous' vehicle.
Exacctly the way I see it too, more government bull$hit to con joe public into buying whatever swells the coffers the most.

Advertise the 'green' benefits, hook everyone into pay monthly finace, keep the cash flowing...

Makes me want to build a V8 diesel with huge smoke stacks just to P them all off!
trikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 21:56   #30
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post

Makes me want to build a V8 diesel with huge smoke stacks just to P them all off!
Go the whole hog Andy and make it a two stroke.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote