Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th September 2018, 21:54   #11
75c
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arryhall View Post
Do I call MGRover Repairs and talk to them, but what would I say, and what would I ask? rs.
This is what you do.

You contact them and tell them what you've told us, they'll tell you why most of it is indicative of a mechanic who's basing his report on preconceived misconceptions of the k series.

I'm sure MGRR would be delighted to be given the opportunity to dispel some of their obvious rubbish.
75c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 23:13   #12
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
New Head Bolts weren't fitted.

If they were changing out a turbo then I can’t understand why they would have taken of the camshaft cover, as that is the only way you can see the bolts. The bolts do not normally need changing.

Errrr....dunno. I think he was possibly assuming, but that's my assumption! I know sweet FA about engines, but I would assume, as you rightly say, there is no way to see the bolts and no need to look at anything when changing the turbo. And unless they are stripped or bend or otherwise knackered, then I don't know why it is "common practise" to change them. It was just what I was told.

Head wasn't skimmed.

If it’s flat then there is no need to skim, skimming for the sake of it is stupidity and means that they do not understand basic engineering.

According to the mechanic, an alloy (or is it aluminium? Could be fairy poo for all I know!) head will always need skimming if the engine has overheated and 'it's what is always done, ask anyone'. Direct quote, that last bit. Again, I know not!

There's an oil leak from the head to the block.

Big deal. Sounds like a/some camshaft seal/s are/is leaking, a simple enough repair to a trustworthy source.the camshaft seals may have been leaking before the repair or after, as I said they are not normally terminal issues

My mechanically ineptitude says that oil ought to stay where oil is supposed to be and where it isn't supposed to be is somewhere to not find oil. I always presumed engines were and are oily, dirty things, but then I know more about steam engines than cars, and I know nothing about steam engines other than they go chuff chuff and look good in Harry Potter films. I don't know how bad a cam shaft oil leak is, other than the name cam shaft sounds like a very important part of the car. Shaft. Snigger.

Cam shaft oil seams leaking.

Same as above.

Cam shaft closing plates missing.

Perhaps, poor attention to detail tbh but not terminal, the seal should be protected from road grime/dust, but perhaps they were not there before?

Again, I didn't know I had cam shafts. let alone seals and covers. Can these just fall off, or were they removed purposefully? When? Were probably missing when I brought the car, but they made up for the missing covers by allowing all the water from the outside to sit inside the car with me, which was kind of them.

Radiator has a leak at the top left.

Could have occurred just recently, I don’t know why you can attribute this to the head gasket repair

Ah! Yes, my writing was poor there. There is a slight leak, but this was merely pointed out to me and not attributed to either the initial HGF repair nor the turbo change, merely another thing on the list of things to make me cry due to not knowing if my car is about to explode and the engine fall out or not.

The turbo manifold gasket hadn't been replaced and the bleed nipples were snapped off.

Bleed nipples?
Apparently, when you put water, or more correctly, coolant, into the engine-y parts of the car, you get air in there. And that is, seemingly, a BAD thing, so to get the air out there is some sort of screw thing somewhere on something. Which I presume looks like a car tyre valve type thing, or a brake bleed kind of thing which I have always thought of, in my juvenile way, as an amusingly named nipple. But again, this nipple/valve air escape-y doohicky was snapped before it was repaired lat year, again, not attributed to anyone specifically, just on the list of things that you don't want to not be there in an engine, and another addition to the bill.

Not being sarcastic or anything, just want to be clear on what was said to me, and what I know and how lost I am in all this, trying to get across the specifics so that, with my exceptionally poor understanding of mechanics and nomenclature, you have the best understanding of the situation that I can impart, without you actually looking into the engine itself.
I used to have a Montego. That developed an oil leak. I never noticed and the engine seized. Been somewhat paranoid about oil since. Not that it was a good car, but it was my only car at the time, and it died a horrible, painful and fairly sudden death.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 23:14   #13
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Oops! Made a mess of that last post. Sorry.
Old 12th September 2018, 23:21   #14
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

I can 100% recommend Nick at http://www.austingarages.co.uk/

Trustworthy,very knowledgable and a perfect job every time.

I have used him for many years with all three of mine with complete satisfaction.

Not that far from you either,why not arange to pop along for an assessment,no need to pull things apart

Last edited by VVC-Geeza; 12th September 2018 at 23:35..
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2018, 05:56   #15
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I am extremely sorry I recommended the Derby garage - pm me and I will explain why....
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2018, 06:01   #16
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

If it's any comfort my 1.8t has had 5 head gaskets replaced and she is on 201,500 miles.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2018, 09:24   #17
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
If it's any comfort my 1.8t has had 5 head gaskets replaced and she is on 201,500 miles.

Nearly moon club Bob, put the other two away and keep using old yella.
Old 13th September 2018, 11:58   #18
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
I had a Peugeot 405 that did 260,000 miles, but never had a single head gasket change. Everything else fell apart though, so I got me a 406, and that did 280,000 miles before some belt snapped and knackered the engine. Again, all on the one head gasket.
Old 13th September 2018, 16:49   #19
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

If you allowed a car to lose a gallon (nearly) of oil to leak out of it without noticing you need help. If you listen to this idiot without getting someone who knows these cars to look at it you will need more help. (Joking, but you get my drift).
The consensus here is the guy is playing you, and I agree.
No need to skim a head unless required.
No need to change head bolts unless stretched.
The cam end cover is neither here nor there.
Who caused the rad leak? They fail themselves.
How did he know the head wasn't skimmed or the bolts not changed anyway?
Go elsewhere next time.
Does this advice sound familiar?
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2018, 18:09   #20
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I am extremely sorry I recommended the Derby garage - pm me and I will explain why....
Glad you have raised this Dawn as Andy explained to me what was done with your headgasket repair - seems a pattern is emerging - change of personnel

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote