Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th September 2018, 18:45   #21
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

To be fair, it has had its oil changed a lot recently! And its coolant. I check the fluid levels pretty much every other day, often every day depending on how much I'm driving. Don't check if I've only done a 8 mile trip. I also check the tyre pressures every other day, and have to say, my serpents don't lose air pressure, which is nice, but I still check them in case.
If it was losing a lot of oil or water, I'd have noticed it. I also open the oil cap and check the consistency of the oil for any gunk. Since the rebuild last year, it has used no water and no noticeable oil drop. The leaks that have been pointed out and are visible, are more like weeping than actual leaks but it's a question of a weep today, a torrent tomorrow?
Having driven it today, there is definitely no smoke coming from the exhaust, the turbo is definitely working but there is a rhythmic thudding now, which is odd, and the suspension has developed a knocking squeak. It's so comfy, easy to drive, nice to look at, sounds nice and is just a lovely place to be, but all these bits are making me grind my teeth down.

Going to call MGRR tomorrow and talk to them, see if they can reassure me or see if they fob me off in a disinterested manner. That's the test of a company with its customer service when things go wrong. If they are lovely and helpful, I'll let you know, if they tell me to go away in no uncertain terms, then I'll also let you know. We'll see.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2018, 18:56   #22
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arryhall View Post
Well, last year, I had the dreaded HGF which was fixed by MG Rover Repairs from Derby. They came out and did the repair work in the drive but did tell me the turbo was loose and would fail at some point.

That point arrived!

I called MG Rover Repairs and got a quote and asked their advice but found a second hand, low mileage turbo on eBay for £100 delivered, which was good. As I kind of needed the car done quickly, I took it to the garage that I live three doors down from in order to get the thing done quickly. I looked at doing it myself, but it seems the entire front of the car has to come off, so I do NOT have the ability to do that!

Unfortunately, the garage took its sweet time doing it, and I got the car back today. The report the mechanic gave was that the Head Gasket that was done, was done really badly! This is his list of problematic things from last years repair:

New Head Bolts weren't fitted
Head wasn't skimmed
There's an oil leak from the head to the block
Cam shaft oil seams leaking
Cam shaft closing plates missing
Radiator has a leak at the top left.
The turbo manifold gasket hadn't been replaced and the bleed nipples were snapped off.

Depressingly, the guarantee I had with the car is 14 months ago, so no guarantee on the work done.
Now, the thing is, I love the car, but with the repeated leaks and engine repairs, it's getting on my wick a bit. I know nothing about cars, so can't comment on what was done right, wrong, what should be done or anything, but the mechanic says it needs the head gasket doing and the head shimming and everything that MGRover Repairs did last year at another £400+. But do I trust him? Last year, the guy that did the work was really nice, seemed to know what he was doing and was quite happy with me standing over his shoulder watching and "helping". I don't want to cast aspersions on anyone, but I have a guy that came and did a bunch of work, and another guy saying the work was done badly and needs redoing, but I'm in no way qualified to know either way! Do I call MGRover Repairs and talk to them, but what would I say, and what would I ask? They are hardly likely to come out just to have a look at something they wouldn't even remember doing or do I just accept the fact that it seems like I need to have the car expensively repaired every year?
It's very depressing as I do love the car when it works and doesn't smell of damp and sloshes internally. I also need a new handbrake thingy as the handbrake holds less than me sticking me foot out the door.

Thanks for listening. I just really needed to moan to someone who isn't my long suffering wife, or someone who isn't instantly dismissive of Rovers.

I had work done by them truly awful and i think the gent who picked this up may be right, i know they were not good to my R75. Cost an arm and a leg to get it done right, Derby MG-Rover no thanks
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2018, 21:27   #23
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde faithful View Post
I had work done by them truly awful and i think the gent who picked this up may be right, i know they were not good to my R75. Cost an arm and a leg to get it done right, Derby MG-Rover no thanks
Sorry you had a bad experience with them. Hope your car is all healthy now though.
Old 13th September 2018, 21:29   #24
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde faithful View Post

To be fair, pretty much my experience. I was told it was the coolant cap, which I replaced, then I was told the smoke was the cold weather, in the end, I decided enough was enough. The car would be scrap without Trikey who diagnosed and sorted it.

I thought Andy had stopped trading, or he would have had the job in the first place. Bones purrs now. She always throws stuff at me, but the engine is behaving, no oil, water loss, and purrs along.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2018, 21:32   #25
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
To be fair, pretty much my experience. I was told it was the coolant cap, which I replaced, then I was told the smoke was the cold weather, in the end, I decided enough was enough. The car would be scrap without Trikey who diagnosed and sorted it.

I thought Andy had stopped trading, or he would have had the job in the first place. Bones purrs now. She always throws stuff at me, but the engine is behaving, no oil, water loss, and purrs along.
I just slow down now and again Dawn, don't think ill ever stop tbh, theres always something that needs doing
Old 14th September 2018, 05:04   #26
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I just slow down now and again Dawn, don't think ill ever stop tbh, theres always something that needs doing
Now ain't that the truth! I need a 48 hour day to get everything I need to do done, and it'll still take me years! n fact, some days, going to work is a nice rest.
Old 14th September 2018, 09:04   #27
Bogbrush82

BMW X3 2.0D

I can't understand it. I used to use them when my 25 needed work doing to it (which included a HG) and they were brilliant. Have they really gone downhill that much?
Old 15th September 2018, 13:36   #28
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Just saw the mechanic from next door whilst buying a new security lightbulb (told you we weren't that far apart) and said Hi. He asked how the car was running and I told him it seems fine, but was concerned about what he said about the repair. He then said "Oh, I forgot to tell you. It had K-seal in it as well".
That doesn't really fill me with any confidence!

I asked if it was a time bomb, and he said keep a close eye on it, and if it runs fine and doesn't use oil or water, then fine. But if it starts to misbehave, then it'll need sorting.

I asked what K-seal was for and he said it's there to stop head gasket failure but shouldn't be used when doing a proper HG repair.

Nice!

More worry.
Old 15th September 2018, 15:27   #29
victorgte

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

I've had mixed experience with the Derby garage. A lot can be down to who turns up. David is spot on and did a good job on my Streetwise belt change.
Mark on the other hand has been a pain on the 2 occasions he has visited. First time he had to come back the following day to put right his mistakes. I'm inclined to ask for David only or not use them at all.
Old 15th September 2018, 21:36   #30
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Well this is a pickle!

I just drove up town because I am really lazy, and had done maybe a mile when I heard the fan come on. I hadn't got the air con on, and the Lancaster bomber sound effects of the fan running is rather noticeable.
Stopped the car immediately and had a look under the bonnet.
Water level gone down to unseeable.

Started the car after it had cooled down, and got rolling, then turned the engine off and coasted all the way back home.

Poured water into the header tank to see how much had gone, and the answer was rather a lot.

I can't imagine it has used all that water in a mile, so I am suspecting a leak.

Really unhappy now.

Very.