Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th February 2017, 20:43   #1
QuestionMark
Regular poster

LHD Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 CDT Conn auto 2002

Default Exhaust bracket & more

Hi,

My car's exhaust box bracket snapped the other day... I wasn't even driving (luckily) Rimmerbros specifically state that their bracket assembly isn't suitable for aftermarket exhausts, but I don't know if mine's original or not. It probably is, but how to be sure? Any labels are long gone.

Also wondering how to know if the exhaust system in general needs replacing? There are no visible holes or anything, but it seems quite rusty.

Cheers

Edit: Here's the bracket in question.

Last edited by Dragrad; 7th February 2017 at 23:52.. Reason: Pic inserted
QuestionMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 23:57   #2
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Made my own out of some soft steel strips that were lying about. Grinded off the top lugs and welded onto the new strips. Used the remains of the old bands to make the new.

Made an adjustable "join" with a nut and bolt to tighten the frame and it all worked rather well except for the huffing and the puffing and expletives in trying to get the old one off and the new one on

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 01:18   #3
QuestionMark
Regular poster

Holy Scot, 33 000 posts? Hats off to you, my good sir (where's the hats off smiley?)

Anyway, unfortunately, I don't know how to weld and I don't know anybody who does.. Well done though, must have taken some time and effort! By the way, did you manage to take the rubber mountings off intactly? Just wondering really, as I already cut mine off with a knife - but I'd be impressed if anyone did!

So, you don't know of an aftermarket mounting bracket? And any idea about my initial questions?
Old 8th February 2017, 01:37   #4
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionMark View Post
Holy Scot, 33 000 posts? Hats off to you, my good sir (where's the hats off smiley?)

Anyway, unfortunately, I don't know how to weld and I don't know anybody who does.. Well done though, must have taken some time and effort! By the way, did you manage to take the rubber mountings off intactly? Just wondering really, as I already cut mine off with a knife - but I'd be impressed if anyone did!

So, you don't know of an aftermarket mounting bracket? And any idea about my initial questions?
Hat's off smiley....

Had to cut the rubbers mountings which were new replacements with multi-positional holes. Became apparent as the job progressed., Needed to do so to get the height adjustment right. Sorry cannot find an image of one at the moment, but I got them from the local Auto-parts retailer.

Taking the original rubber mountings off proved nigh on impossible, so a Stanley knife proved to be the only recourse So the newer, adapted, 3 hole one one was used, (cut off the top hole) as adapted to give a good fit.

As to an after market bracket.... to fit... that would depend on the specs. of the exhaust body. After market exhausts can vary in in specs. The original was double skinned and so will not "blow" until the inner skin erodes away. Which is why I opted for the "adjustable" bracket using a long bolt and thread.

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Last edited by Dragrad; 8th February 2017 at 01:49.. Reason: Addition ;- )
Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 09:36   #5
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Large Jubilee clips, joined together to make them even bigger, work well.

Stewart
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 22:17   #6
QuestionMark
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
Hat's off smiley....

Quote:
Had to cut the rubbers mountings which were new replacements with multi-positional holes. Became apparent as the job progressed., Needed to do so to get the height adjustment right. Sorry cannot find an image of one at the moment, but I got them from the local Auto-parts retailer.
That's alright, I'll probably buy the OEM rubber mountings anyway - they're not too expensive from Rimmers.

Quote:
Taking the original rubber mountings off proved nigh on impossible, so a Stanley knife proved to be the only recourse So the newer, adapted, 3 hole one one was used, (cut off the top hole) as adapted to give a good fit.
Good I'm not the only one! I just looked at it, and didn't even try

Quote:
As to an after market bracket.... to fit... that would depend on the specs. of the exhaust body. After market exhausts can vary in in specs. The original was double skinned and so will not "blow" until the inner skin erodes away. Which is why I opted for the "adjustable" bracket using a long bolt and thread.
That's the thing though - I don't know if my exhaust body is aftermarket or not, so I'm not entirely sure that the Rimmerbros bracket (or any other bracket for the original exhaust) is the correct one. That's what I'd like to find out, but I don't know what to look for? The previous owner had so many parts replaced that I have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartIngram View Post
Large Jubilee clips, joined together to make them even bigger, work well.

Stewart
How did you attach them to the rubber mountings?
Old 8th February 2017, 22:21   #7
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
That's the thing though - I don't know if my exhaust body is aftermarket or not, so I'm not entirely sure that the Rimmerbros bracket (or any other bracket for the original exhaust) is the correct one. That's what I'd like to find out, but I don't know what to look for? The previous owner had so many parts replaced that I have no idea.
Can you post a picture? Aftermarket is a typical oval design, whereas OE is a boxy one - compare the two below:

Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 09:00   #8
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Quote:

That's alright, I'll probably buy the OEM rubber mountings anyway - they're not too expensive from Rimmers.

Good I'm not the only one! I just looked at it, and didn't even try

How did you attach them to the rubber mountings?
It was a while ago, but I think I used the original rubbers, with smaller Jubilee clips threaded through the large one. Worked for ages.
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 18:16   #9
QuestionMark
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Can you post a picture? Aftermarket is a typical oval design, whereas OE is a boxy one
Not the best angles, but here you go. Looks like mine's aftermarket then.. In which case, I don't know what kind of brackets will fit Are these things fairly standardised or adjustable for multiple aftermarket Rover exhausts, or would I need to find an exact match for my specific exhaust? Does BMW or anyone else you know have brackets with such lugs?

Here are the brackets, if that's of interest. The rubber mountings look original, but not the rest, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartIngram View Post
It was a while ago, but I think I used the original rubbers, with smaller Jubilee clips threaded through the large one. Worked for ages.
Maybe that's what I'll have to do Wouldn't your exhaust be kind of swinging back and forth though, as the smaller jubilee clips wouldn't be very stiff when attached to the rubber mountings?

Edit: Sorry about the big pictures, is there an easy way to scale them down?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170204_151951.jpg (130.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170204_151936.jpg (134.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170209_183126.jpg (133.1 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170209_183149.jpg (130.7 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by Dragrad; 10th March 2017 at 01:19.. Reason: Thumbnails enlarged
Old 9th February 2017, 18:21   #10
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

You can buy pre-drilled galvanised strapping at builders merchants. Ideal for exhaust bracketing.