Notices

Closed Thread

Old 7th July 2017, 17:15   #1
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts
Default Diesel & Petrol Cars Banned

Its started already, the future is changing.

France will end sales of petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040.

The announcement comes a day after Volvo said it would only make fully electric or hybrid cars from 2019 onwards.

France set to ban sale of petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040.

Volvo goes electric across the board by 2019.

Last edited by Dallas; 7th July 2017 at 17:18..
Old 7th July 2017, 17:26   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

That is a long way off, a lot can happen between now and then.

A great idea in principal but if they are the only ones that do that what will owners of fuel powered vehicles do when traveling through? Let say the average life of a car is 10 years that means there are unlikely to be many petrol stations in France by 2050.
Old 7th July 2017, 17:32   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post

The announcement comes a day after Volvo said it would only make fully electric or hybrid cars from 2019 onwards.

Volvo goes electric across the board by 2019.
No it didnt, from your links

Carmaker Volvo has said all new models will have an electric motor from 2019.
The Chinese-owned firm, best known for its emphasis on driver safety, has become the first traditional carmaker to signal the end of the internal combustion engine.
It plans to launch five fully electric models between 2019 and 2021 and a range of hybrid models.
But it will still be manufacturing earlier models that have pure combustion engines.

Also,

Nicolas Hulot announced the planned ban on fossil fuel vehicles as part of a renewed commitment to the Paris climate deal.

I cannot see it happening fully in my lifetime, however I do believe it will happen at some point. Although I do think it will start in the towns and cities, with centres being completely closed to regular traffic, with vehicles only allowed in for deliveries, and public transport.

As it stands, it is only planned, however I believe there are too many other combustion reliant engines that havent had the development of passengers cars. Lorries being the biggest. Although in saying that with the development of electric buses and further lessons learned from passenger vehicles, will make it easier for lorry manufacturers to further their existing development programs.

I could see nuclear powered cruise liners and tankers though.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
Old 7th July 2017, 17:43   #4
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I was reading about this also, what worries me is what are they going to do between now and then to diesel/petrol cars!

I copy/pasted this paragraph from one article I was reading....

Authorities in Europe have been looking to raise taxes on diesel vehicles. Diesel cars are more polluting than originally thought, and there are plans to ban or restrict them in some cities.
The German cities of Stuttgart and Munich said they are looking to ban some diesel cars, saying they cause a rise in respiratory disease.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Old 7th July 2017, 17:43   #5
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Off the top of my head, Norway plan to do this from 2025, the Netherlands from 2024, India from 2030.

Can't wait, to be honest. All arguments about which fossil fuel is better (either in terms of local air quality in built-up areas or in terms of global impact) are really just arguments about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Both petrol and diesel engines emit particulates - for NOx issues with diesel you can substitute benzene for petrol. LPG burns cleaner than either, but isn't produced at anything like the sort of volume that could replace the other two en masse and introduces an extra layer of complexity (aka "things to go wrong").

I would happily take the engine out of a 75 and replace it with an electric motor of similar power and the likes of a second hand Tesla battery, giving me over 200 miles of range on a charge. Best of both worlds for me - plus if I knew I wasn't going to be driving long distance for a few days (i.e. most of the time) then I could use it to power the house when it's dark instead of drawing power from the grid.
A Nigerian mother of three
Old 7th July 2017, 17:50   #6
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
Off the top of my head, Norway plan to do this from 2025, the Netherlands from 2024, India from 2030.

Can't wait, to be honest. All arguments about which fossil fuel is better (either in terms of local air quality in built-up areas or in terms of global impact) are really just arguments about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Both petrol and diesel engines emit particulates - for NOx issues with diesel you can substitute benzene for petrol. LPG burns cleaner than either, but isn't produced at anything like the sort of volume that could replace the other two en masse and introduces an extra layer of complexity (aka "things to go wrong").

I would happily take the engine out of a 75 and replace it with an electric motor of similar power and the likes of a second hand Tesla battery, giving me over 200 miles of range on a charge. Best of both worlds for me - plus if I knew I wasn't going to be driving long distance for a few days (i.e. most of the time) then I could use it to power the house when it's dark instead of drawing power from the grid.

I agree Andy, My next car is going to be a BEV as it would suit my driving habits perfectly now I've retired.

Old 7th July 2017, 18:11   #7
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts

This sort of thing worries me in the future where I'd like too own more classics.

Plus with the tax prices as well, it will put a lot of people off other good way of getting everyone into the electric hybrids.

Give it afew years and internal combustion engines will be the thing of the past.

Till we see these electric cars are like and if there reliable I'll stick too what I know and love.

If anyone forces too scrap my cars they'd have too kill me.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Old 7th July 2017, 18:18   #8
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Things do seem to be changing in the car business. I wonder how much the main car manufacturers will treat this idea? I think we'll need a huge infrastructure to try anything of this size in such a short space of time.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Old 7th July 2017, 18:19   #9
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Besides I want to be playing about like this on my BEV car when I get it , unfortunately I don't have Tesla deep pockets but they've programmed one of this devices (Alexa I think) to do similar on a Nissan Leaf which I'll be getting.

Old 7th July 2017, 18:26   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Nuclear powered 75 anyone

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
Closed Thread