Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th August 2017, 20:47   #1
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default Removing heater exchange matrix and found something odd!

The car is having its' new engine fitted Friday, and whilst there is no coolant in the car, I figured it would be prudent to flush out that stubborn heater exchange matrix so the wifes' side actually blows warm air. Nowm I've seen the mic taped to the side pillar, but thought it went to nothing, but when I dropped the side of the console, there was this box, a BMW stamped box of something. There is a telephone LAN line input on a circuit board which I forgot to photograph, so I assume it is some form of telephony device that was input to the head unit. I have, of course, disconnected this, and now, presumably, the head unit won't work! As the battery was as flat as a very flat thing, I was unable to try, but the battery is now on charge.

I have never seen anything like this, and there is no marking on it to tell me what it is. It's very odd.

Once I have the engine in, and the car runs again, I shall be looking to Sean for a new, all singing all dancing touchscreen unit. Provided the new engine works and the car is a viable option and not just scrap, of course!
Be nice to have a car to drive again. But does anyone know what this doofah is? I've had a look on Googles but to no avail. Doesn't help with no markings being on the thing.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 21:21   #2
Alex30013k
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 CDTi Conn Se

I removed the same thing from a 75 that I was getting bits from. not sure what it did.
Alex30013k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 07:23   #3
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

It's the brains for a hands-free phone kit. I don't recognise the make. It may be bluetooth or it may be that there was once a cradle attached to the big wiring block further along the harness that has been removed by a previous owner. if you follow the lead plugged into the 'mic' socket (microphone) you should find where the mic has been installed. Easier still switch the car on and use your phone to search for bluetooth connections.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 13:22   #4
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Well, I thought it may have been a bluetooth thing, but there was nowt coming up on me phone. Also, it's a Harmony unit, which, let's face it, is rubbish! There is a LAN line socket on the end of one of the leads, so I presume I could take my home phone with me! Not that it isn't now a retro-cool look to have a big rotary phone in your car, just impractical! I just didn't know it was there, what it is, what it does, or supposed to do and how it would work as the LAN socket was also tucked behind the console, so how could you actually plug your big old rotary land line phone in there? Gave me a chuckle anyway.

It's strange, the things you find when you start poking around. Shame it wasn't a massive bag full of dubloons!
Old 8th August 2017, 17:47   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Intrigued I am, is there no other labelling on the black box itself? I wonder if it's a tracker or black box recorder of some sort? When you say 'LAN' socket do you mean like a computer network lead socket or a UK phone socket? Might just be connected for downloading data? Also taking another look at it and that wiring looks somewhat hefty for a handsfree kit as well. Maybe someone else here can identify it? Maybe some sort of assisted nav device (hence the 'mic' input?).

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 17:52   #6
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

My old 45 came with a NOKIA phone system installed - it too has a socket for a cabled handset - according to the manual for "private" use .....

Found a new old stock handset but could not find anywhere to actually mount it ....
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 19:07   #7
rockerbox
Avid contributor

MG ZT/T

Big brother has been watching you Arryhall.

Confess all your sins immediately before they come from you !
rockerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 21:35   #8
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerbox View Post
Big brother has been watching you Arryhall.

Confess all your sins immediately before they come from you !
Unfortunately, I am old, happily married and boring so unless I look back to University days, there's nowt to confess.

I may be off on the LAN line thing. I think it's a telephone input. I was going to take a picture...but the dog chewed the end, so I hope it wasn't important!
Old 9th August 2017, 16:55   #9
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default Interesting!

Finally got the battery charged up and turned on the ignition. Funny, knowing the entire engine is in bits! The radio now makes no sound! So whatever that box did, it acted, if nothing else, as a junction box to the speakers.

Very curious! I am loathe to do so, but going to have to take the centre console out to investigate what is going on. Or rather, what is NOT going on!

On another note, I CANNOT get that top hose of the exchange matrix connected! Bottom one, no problem, but that top one will not go forward enough to locate. And it's such a swine to get to as well. May have to leave it and ask MG Rover repairs to finish it off on Friday. I must be doing something wrong.
Old 9th August 2017, 17:33   #10
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

I have a Nokia that I fitted many years ago, a legacy of the period when I was fitting hands free units to Police cars. I'll dig the manual out and post a piccy.
I also had (but have since removed) a device that wired the phone l/s o/p through the car radio. Could that be similar?

Stewart
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote