Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th August 2017, 22:10   #1
Leachim
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default I've acquired a Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE

Hi all,

I've acquired a very good-looking 2003 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE, sunroof, automatic box, Monogram colour Mirage 2 (kind of metallic ice blue turning gold in the sun), with 100,000 miles and incomplete history.
She runs well enough, though has a fair bit of wind and road noise.
First bad surprise was when I filled the tank: about four or five litres leaked out from somewhere. Maybe I filled it too fast, and overfilled. But even filling just three-quarters I get a petrol smell and a bit of a leak.
Looking back on the bills I inherited I see it had a fuel pump issue in the past (not the one in the tank, the other one). Any ideas, anybody, please?
Second disappointment was the terrible ride on bad road or speed bumps. Could that be the front anti-roll bar assembly?
I'm also a bit leery of the cheapo Event-brand tyres on the 17-inch Serpents... Seems they're hell in the wet...
Somehow I've got to get it through the French equivalent of the MOT as I'm planning to register it in France, far from its original North British stamping grounds.
But I can't figure out the lever to adjust the Xénons for Euro-driving...
Encourage me, please!

Leachim Sredna
Leachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 11:21   #2
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Forgive my memory but I think there is a switch on the back of the Xenon lights to change to left hand drive alignment. More knowledgeable members will be able to confirm.
Sounds like a nice car. It's the law to post pictures when you have bought one!
Old 9th August 2017, 11:59   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Leachim and to the club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachim View Post
... when I filled the tank: about four or five litres leaked out from somewhere.
Have you carefully inspected under the car to determine the source of the leak? You may also need to lift the rear seat cushion to check visually the pump and filter seals.
Quote:
I see it had a fuel pump issue in the past (not the one in the tank, the other one).
The V6 has only one fuel pump; in the tank on the RHS.
Quote:
Second disappointment was the terrible ride on bad road or speed bumps. Could that be the front anti-roll bar assembly?
You say that you have 17 inch wheels. If they're fitted with low profile tyres the ride can be very hard. Otherwise I'd check that the shock absorbers are functioning and the springs for possible breakage.

Simon
Old 9th August 2017, 12:09   #4
Freebyrd
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T

Incomplete history: Timing belts and plenums are important items to check. If belts have not been changed, they need to be at 100,000 miles. Also check plenum drains.
Old 9th August 2017, 14:01   #5
Leachim
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default Re: I've acquired a Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE

Thanx all the comments.
Re the petrol leak issue, an old repair bill dealing with a fuel supply issue says ''remove and check in-tank supply pump. OK. Remove and check transfer pump, find pump has become loose. Reassemble and put fuel in tank...''
Looks to me like the leak is around the middle of the car. I shall investigate...
The cambelts and tensioners were replaced at 43,000 miles in 2009 (I wish they'd waited longer, 'cos I'm not about to get that job done again in the forseeable future.).
I gathered from the previous (mechanic) owner that bad ride on rough road is no doubt due to the 17-inch wheels and the low-profile tyres. I'd like to improve the ride if I can, though.
As regards adjusting the Xenons for driving on the right, I've read all I can but still am not sure about locating these levers and how to move them. I'd like to avoid an outright test fail on that issue.
Thing is, Ive definitely got Xénons and there's no manual levelling switch on the dashboard so I should be alright if I can figure it.
Here are some pix of the beast which explain how I was seduced!
Best regards,
Leachim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600[1].jpg (136.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600[2].jpg (136.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600[3].jpg (137.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600[4].jpg (137.7 KB, 97 views)
Leachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 14:09   #6
Walter
Posted a thing or two

zebadee

Question Springs

Wonder if last owner fitted lowering springs
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 14:19   #7
DEVYL
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Auto Connoiseur SE

Nice car there ! I can confirm the hard ride on speed bumps and bad roads it's because of the tyres. I have 18" with low profile Dunlop Sport tyres and it's a mess ( especially that my city has areas with really bad roads ) . I have brand new shock absorbers and springs all around and these parts are not the problem. I also have some wind noise from the driver's side door so if you can find a fix for it, buzz me

Alex.

PS : I love the tyres when cornering. The car is glued to the road
Old 9th August 2017, 15:03   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachim View Post
... an old repair bill dealing with a fuel supply issue says ''remove and check in-tank supply pump. OK. Remove and check transfer pump, find pump has become loose.
What the mechanic refers to as a 'transfer pump' is most likely the filter module. It doesn't have a power supply so it is not a pump in the normal sense of the word. Although it apparently plays a part in ensuring correct fuel levels in both sides of the saddle tank, the pump is on the RHS of the tank and it is this which supplies fuel to the filter and thence the injectors under pressure.
Quote:
... bad ride on rough road is no doubt due to the 17-inch wheels and the low-profile tyres. I'd like to improve the ride if I can, though.
You can, quite easily. Just buy smaller diameter wheels and fit higher profile tyres to them. I'd recommend following MG Rover's original specification for your model for a comfortable ride.

Simon
Old 9th August 2017, 17:33   #9
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I'd recommend following MG Rover's original specification for your model for a comfortable ride.
Simon

Do you know that when you lift the seat to check the fuel pump there is a label on top with the original damper assemblies, rear springs and rear shocks on it?
You need to do research though to find the correct front springs.
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 17:46   #10
mac61
Loves to post

MG ZT 260

"The cambelts and tensioners were replaced at 43,000 miles in 2009 (I wish they'd waited longer, 'cos I'm not about to get that job done again in the forseeable future.)."

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but, belts need to be changed every 6 years or 90,000 which ever occurs FIRST!
mac61 is offline   Reply With Quote