Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th August 2017, 18:18   #1
Graham E
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTI

Default How does the 160 cdti upgrade make your car different

I've had the 160 upgrade done to my cdti and just wondered what other people think of the difference it makes.

I had it done in March (I think) and whilst I don't doubt it makes a difference I just wondered what other people think of it in regard to fuel consumption, acceleration etc.

I know people say it makes the car smoother which it does as I can now cruise in 5th gear at 30mph without it feeling like it needs 4th but my fuel consumption doesn't seem to have improved much and I was hoping for quicker acceleration from a standstill

Thoughts and responses welcome.
Graham E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 18:56   #2
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Well it's hard to remember what the saloon was like without it, but I think it was mainly more poke at the upper end for me.
Ie greater oomph in 4th and 5th gear.
Don't recall any great difference to fuel consumption, but then again I hadn't got the saloon long before getting 160'd.
I got the auto tourer 160'd enroute home after purchase, so again no real comparison to be made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 19:01   #3
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

I had my re map 3 years ago, on the way home ot was a revelation, so smooth, so powerfull, I did some overtaking manouvres that would have been suicidal with the old 115 rating. Gradually as the months went by, I sometimes imagined that my car was not as rapid or powerfull as immediately after the re map. I just think that you get used to the extra power and forget how sluggish things used to be. I am always reassured when using a local road with a 1in 3 gradient my car goes up it iin 3rd when it used to struggle in second.
Westonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 19:06   #4
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

I had mine done couple of years ago and I am still impressed with the way it performs.Pulls well from low down in a high gear,no need to drop a gear to overtake at 40/50 mph although if you do it is like liquid manure off a teflon coated shovel. Fuel consumption has not altered much but if you drive it "normally"It can gain a couple more MPG..

So in general terms the car is now how it should have been when it was first made.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 19:23   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

The 160 simply makes the car pick up its skirts and go, it gives you the confidence to pull out into busy traffic, which it previously lacked. Don't expect to improve mpg, though I suppose it could if you drove it in exactly the same way as before.

Pros - many
Cons - not at all apart from the small cost involved.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 10th August 2017 at 19:26..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 19:28   #6
Graham E
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTI

Thanks, perhaps I've just got used to it
Graham E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 19:33   #7
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Was a chalk and cheese difference on my CDT... I only wish i had got it done earlier. Pulls better through all the gears and the big lump of torque in the midrange for overtaking was a revelation. Far too easy to get into licence losing territory tho!

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 20:01   #8
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

I think the 160 map is great. The problem is that the majority of people who shout it down have other mods done to their car and as a result the map doesn't perform as well as it should. Either that or the car wasn't in the best of health to start with.

I can only comment from what I have read, seen and from my own personal experiences of the 160 map.

My car was completely standard and had been well maintained upto a point. When I bought the car I discovered from the code string it was in fact a 135 although it is listed as a 115 on my reg. So I visited Mark2000 when I bought some bits off him and he pointed out a few things about the diesels I should look at. First was the intercooler o-rings, and then I did the EGR delete. Aside from this I ran the car for a few thousand miles with injector cleaner and then prior to having the map done I had the car a full service.
Car has a standard exhaust and air filter.

The 160 map made a huge difference, it became far more responsive under hard acceleration and I think it made the car feel how it should have left the factory.
The economy increased quite considerably on a run too. Prior to the work and the map I was struggling to get much above the 37mpg average, now I routinely get between 45 and 50mpg which I'm more than happy with.
I reckon if I had a long enough stretch of road I could get easy 650miles from a tank, maybe more.

I still think there's more to be had though, so I plan to replace the intercooler hose with the silicone one available from Jules, and then at some point I'll do the exhaust for a stainless one.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 21:25   #9
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Had it done to both my diesels , best thing I've done to the cars , you'll only get the best out of the remaps if everything else is ok , intercooler O rings, maf sensor ,egr bypass etc .
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 21:38   #10
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstrover View Post
Had it done to both my diesels , best thing I've done to the cars , you'll only get the best out of the remaps if everything else is ok , intercooler O rings, maf sensor ,egr bypass etc .
As Jon says, its noticeable instantly, maybe get the car a T4 check, see if there are any other underlying problems. Try a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank, and take the car for a good run, plenty of acceleration, and up and down the gears, give it a good blast out.
Also was it the official remap, ie done by one of the T4 lads on here?