Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th September 2017, 12:57   #1
Grumble and Grouch
Regular poster

MGZTT

Default Turbo scuppered

Hi all,
Sadly a plume of smoke and oily exhaust seem to point to my turbo being goosed. Having spent a lot of money this year it's something of a wounder and has me contemplating the cars future. It's in the garage now awaiting confirmation of my fears! The garage are good and know Ztt's in and out so I'm confident they'll rule out any more economic solutions before making any expensive conclusions but it's not very promising.
Any advice on good, reasonably priced turbo suppliers? Don't suppose anyone has a spare knocking about? Already spent over a thousand on her since March so could have done without this!
Thanks in advance.
Grumble and Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 13:56   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Get a new CHRA unit for around £100. Plenty on eBay and don't be too wary of the Chinese ones. They're pretty damned good and most of the UK sourced units (full turbochargers included) originate in China. The Mellett (UK) company have a good reputation.

eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...5+1.8&_sacat=0

Easy to fit too

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 19:47   #3
Grumble and Grouch
Regular poster

MGZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Get a new CHRA unit for around £100. Plenty on eBay and don't be too wary of the Chinese ones. They're pretty damned good and most of the UK sourced units (full turbochargers included) originate in China. The Mellett (UK) company have a good reputation.

eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...5+1.8&_sacat=0

Easy to fit too

TC
Thanks, is it just a case of swapping the cartridge? To be honest it's probably not something I'd do so how long do you reckon it'd take a decent mechanic to do? Anything else needed other than the cartridge?
Sorry for all the questions!
Old 13th September 2017, 20:09   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

You will need a gasket set.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 20:17   #5
Grumble and Grouch
Regular poster

MGZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
You will need a gasket set.
Thanks, figured that would also be required.
Any views on new cartridge vs recon garret turbo? The mellett cartridge seems to be 150 quid or so whilst a recon unit can be around 250.
Old 13th September 2017, 20:20   #6
tourer82
Regular poster

ZT 190 SE

Also check for any obvious problems with the engine as a whole. I had a Previa that I replaced the turbo on, only for it to go again five thousand miles later. When I checked the oil filler for crankcase pressure it was clear that the cylinders were worn and oil was being lost more rapildly than I realised. Needles to say, the car was disposed of once I realised the additional problems.
tourer82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 20:54   #7
rayrahman
Regular poster

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumble and Grouch View Post
Hi all,

Sadly a plume of smoke and oily exhaust seem to point to my turbo being goosed. Having spent a lot of money this year it's something of a wounder and has me contemplating the cars future. It's in the garage now awaiting confirmation of my fears! The garage are good and know Ztt's in and out so I'm confident they'll rule out any more economic solutions before making any expensive conclusions but it's not very promising.

Any advice on good, reasonably priced turbo suppliers? Don't suppose anyone has a spare knocking about? Already spent over a thousand on her since March so could have done without this!

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I had the same problem a couple of weeks back. As a new owner I was bricking it thinking I bough a bag of spanners but the I bought it like that and didn't know it had gone.

http://www.mg-rovermobilemechanics.com replaced with a recon unit for a very good price, based in Derby

Hope it helps

Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rayrahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 21:05   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumble and Grouch View Post
Any views on new cartridge vs recon garret turbo? The mellett cartridge seems to be 150 quid or so whilst a recon unit can be around 250.
A new CHRA in your own casing is effectively a reconditioned Garrett. The recond units use pre-used cases and a new CHRA. Fitting one really is a DIY job. You may have to fit a new oil feed pipe to validate the supplier's warranty, but this isn't always the case. Mellett will specify it for their warranty for sure.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 22:18   #9
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Don't know personally, but I have been recommended Midland Turbo for a rebuild or reconditioned turbo.

I have also been told of the internal cartridge idea, but I am terrified of trying it in case I destroy my car!
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 08:45   #10
Grumble and Grouch
Regular poster

MGZTT

Anyone had a recon from fast turbo in Corby? The cartridge option is interesting but time consuming to do properly from the sounds of things and I'm not that mechanically minded!