Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th May 2019, 23:06   #1
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts
Default Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB

Has anyone one of these units installed in their R40, and if so what fascia adaptor plate did you use?

Link to the unit in question HERE

I have a generic 75 double din fascia plate bought for a super cheap unit linked to by Wes some time ago, however the Pioneer unit doesn't sit well with this fascia.

Pictures and suggestions welcome.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2019, 00:32   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Has anyone one of these units installed in their R40, and if so what fascia adaptor plate did you use?

Link to the unit in question HERE

I have a generic 75 double din fascia plate bought for a super cheap unit linked to by Wes some time ago, however the Pioneer unit doesn't sit well with this fascia.

Pictures and suggestions welcome.

Brian
I havent done it to the zt/75, although fitted one to my nieces old Corsa. If it is similar to this surround

as opposed to this surround

from THIS How To thread (which gives a crude but possibly effective workaround - but your head unit may be a lot heavier)

you will be on a hiding to nothing. On my niece's car, no matter what I did, the stereo always wanted to point upwards (gravity an' all that). Getting it decently secured was a major issue. With the second fascia, with a decent deep cage, the recessed sides and bottom, look like it will move the pivot point further back, in line the upper screw fixings to act against it (if that makes sense?).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 29th May 2019 at 00:39..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2019, 06:21   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I havent done it to the zt/75, although fitted one to my nieces old Corsa. If it is similar to this surround

as opposed to this surround

from THIS How To thread (which gives a crude but possibly effective workaround - but your head unit may be a lot heavier)

you will be on a hiding to nothing. On my niece's car, no matter what I did, the stereo always wanted to point upwards (gravity an' all that). Getting it decently secured was a major issue. With the second fascia, with a decent deep cage, the recessed sides and bottom, look like it will move the pivot point further back, in line the upper screw fixings to act against it (if that makes sense?).
Alan, the fascia plate I have at the moment is the same as the one in the picture at the top, however the one pictured at the bottom looks like it might do the job though.

I've just measured the escutcheon on the front of the wireless, and it's 170mm wide and 100mm deep approximately.

So if the one you have is the same as the bottom picture, and the hole is the right size, I'm sure I could cobble something together to mount the actual radio cage itself.

Cheers

Brian
Old 29th May 2019, 08:57   #4
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

That CT23RO01 Rover 75 double din fascia aperture measures 172x99mm, its not quite a true 2din size. I'm sure this style fascia was designed to fit the older aftermarket Kenwood 2din units.

The universal standard 2din size is 178x100mm, the MG7 fascia seems to match this universal size HERE...

Brian, If your Pioneer unit measures 170x100mm, you will only need to shave a millimetre from either the top or bottom, then tidy up using a Dremel.

As for getting a secure fit if using one of these fascia's, you need to alternate the two side brackets or use four brackets (2x on either side).
Make use of the units body pre-drilled threaded holes and bolt to the fascia, this will stop the shallow units from pivoting.
If fitting a standard size deep DD, you can either fit the same side brackets or support the unit at the rear.

Last edited by Dallas; 29th May 2019 at 09:38..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2019, 13:45   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
That CT23RO01 Rover 75 double din fascia aperture measures 172x99mm, its not quite a true 2din size. I'm sure this style fascia was designed to fit the older aftermarket Kenwood 2din units.

The universal standard 2din size is 178x100mm, the MG7 fascia seems to match this universal size HERE...

Brian, If your Pioneer unit measures 170x100mm, you will only need to shave a millimetre from either the top or bottom, then tidy up using a Dremel.

As for getting a secure fit if using one of these fascia's, you need to alternate the two side brackets or use four brackets (2x on either side).
Make use of the units body pre-drilled threaded holes and bolt to the fascia, this will stop the shallow units from pivoting.
If fitting a standard size deep DD, you can either fit the same side brackets or support the unit at the rear.

Hi Wes, the fascia I have is the one of the type in the upper picture, and has been previously carved out to accept the super cheap 7011B radio, the Pioneer fits after a fashion, but the top sticks out considerably when the unit is placed horizontally....if that makes sense.

This wasn't a problem with the slimline cheap unit as it could be pivoted to suit and it would still fit the hole in the centre console.

Brian
Old 29th May 2019, 14:34   #6
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Yes it does Bri, It sounds like your Pioneer unit is quite deep in size and is resting on the rear support bracket, its held on with one bolt.

If the bracket has already been removed, your unit must be resting on the rear frame of the dash, is there any moulding causing the unit to sit forward?

The MG7 fascia should be a much easier fit, as the inner aperture contour is vertical, rather than angled as per the CT23RO01 Rover 75 fasica.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2019, 21:28   #7
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

I also have a pioneer DD unit fitted to an Autoleads Rover facia.

The radio cage wouldn’t fit the aperture so I just used some Meccano type radio braketry to secure the DD unit to the facia in a very solid manner. It was just the right match for the radio unit on its own.

I did find I had to raise the rear of the unit in relation to the facia aperture to stop unwanted reflections when installed.

It then sits happily on the rubber shelf within the dash, no extra bracketry was needed to support the rear of the unit.

My next aim is to use the autoleads bespoke rover mg interface unit to connect the steering wheel controls. Oh,, and upgrade to Focal Access drivers.

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2019, 08:34   #8
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

You need to get the Connects2 fascia but it will need to be fitted with a cage as the head unit is heavy
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 12:11   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Huge thanks to Alan "CLF" for sending me an MG7 fascia to try out

I shall be making some comparison measurements and manufacturing a bracket over the next day or so.

There will be pictures to follow I'm sure

Brian
Old 1st June 2019, 13:03   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Huge thanks to Alan "CLF" for sending me an MG7 fascia to try out

I shall be making some comparison measurements and manufacturing a bracket over the next day or so.

There will be pictures to follow I'm sure

Brian
glad it has arrived. I was just about to send you a message to check if it had arrived, as the tracking still shows it has not! Postman must have swam over

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 1st June 2019 at 13:07..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote