Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th March 2020, 19:19   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Check Those Purchase Agreements

Being a big headed smug type I was really annoyed earlier when I realized that Amazon was making a monthly withdrawal from my card.

I purchased an Amazon Fire HD 10 in November, it came with one months free membership of Amazon Prime. I did not want that so didn't take anymore notice of it.

That is what the monthly withdrawal is, as I had not "cancelled" the subscription. They have provided a cancellation form which is now on way to them, and it appears to promise refund of the payments, we will see.

Silly me.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2020, 19:27   #2
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Lucky you noticed - many would have taken months to...
Old 5th March 2020, 19:32   #3
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

There is a lot of this sort of thing going on.

Months free trial etc give them your details, But what they "Forget" to mention is that if you don't cancel the card debit your account is debited forever after, Unless you spot it.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2020, 19:49   #4
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

I refuse point blank to deal with Amazon. They cloned my credit card, but my bank stopped the transaction then they tried hacking into my bank account. Again my bank stopped the transaction taking place.

233,320. New rear tyres on order for BBB.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2020, 22:58   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
I refuse point blank to deal with Amazon. They cloned my credit card, but my bank stopped the transaction then they tried hacking into my bank account. Again my bank stopped the transaction taking place.
to be fair Bob, it is unlikely to have been Amazon that cloned the card, but rather some scumbucket that did, and then tried to purchase something on Amazon.

When Prime started, by default on every purchase, the sign up was ticked, and it was only the last minute I noticed. Soon after there was an outcry, and they did change it. Now though they highlight 'Free Delivery' with Prime in smaller text, and another option smaller or lower down as free delivery without prime (when in N.Ireland, delivery is charged almost everywhere online, so I tend to shop around and read small print a lot to save the hassle of a charge being sprung on me at the end). I hate using Amazon because of this, but have to resort to them when I cannot get free delivery elsewhere.

I use Paypal wherever possible for online purchases. A long time ago I set up a second current account with my bank (I have been told it is not that easy to do this nowadays within the same bank). I keep anywhere between £1 and £10 in this account, and when I want to buy anything, I transfer from my main account to this secondary one, using the online banking app on my phone. This account does not have an overdraft, and if it goes into the red, I will get a warning. But that has only happened once, and I had forgotten to transfer enough to cover all the purchases

If there are low value 'test' purchases made using this account also, it can be spotted easily. Also if something untoward does happen, it should be relatively easy to trace back where the trouble began.

My phone is 'clean' and avoid any unknown or untrustworthy sites (that sounds bad lol, but I am more adventurous with unknown sites on the computer, as I find it easier to see where links take me to, pop ups etc). My computer does not have any banking info on it. I have no doubt that if you were interested, and capable, you could link the two together.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote