Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th March 2007, 12:06   #1
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Default Changing the stereo

Our Tourer only has a radio/cassette, and I've been used to a Neo HDD MP3 player with 40gb capacity (nigh on 500 albums!)

It's not going to be a working proposition for the new car, so been looking elsewhere and seen this:-

Blaupunkt with HDD

I'll need a fascia adaptor. Are the only ones you can get the offset sort, or are there any that include a cubby?

Also, what adaptor will I need for the wiring, and will the steering wheel controls work?!

(sorry, questions, always questions!)
uk_dave&gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2007, 12:13   #2
damydyo1
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Default Solutions for radio

Try this for a start: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=1356

From there you might be able to link to helpfull sites.

Regards Ralph
damydyo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 21:12   #3
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Thanks for the link!

Can anyone tell me if the cubby fascia featured here will be suitable for our 2003 Tourer?

Also, am I reading right that the adaptor to make the new stereo play is only a tenner, whereas it costs a whopping £47.99 to make the steering wheel controls work?!

EDIT: Just read to the end of the link page and it says:

March 2002 onwards
Adaptor not normally required

Is this true?! Would save a few quid!

Last edited by uk_dave&gill; 25th March 2007 at 21:15..
Old 26th March 2007, 12:19   #4
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

It is not Pre or post 2002 that determines which lead is required, it is which unit is being replaced, Harmony (17 pin BMW plug) or Symphony (ISO plugs)

I think the picture of the steering wheel control adapter in your link is a generic one as the white connector doesn't look like one that will connect to an MGR one, if you look at their link to additional fitting information, it shows it connected to either an ISO plug or 17 pin BMW plug - you will not need another adapter.

You can see that the two adapters in the lower pictures are basic ones and both have three pins not connected, these leads won't work with steering controls.

Last edited by raykay; 26th March 2007 at 12:33..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 18:08   #5
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
It is not Pre or post 2002 that determines which lead is required, it is which unit is being replaced, Harmony (17 pin BMW plug) or Symphony (ISO plugs)
That's a very handy bit of info! Thanks a lot!

Quote:
I think the picture of the steering wheel control adapter in your link is a generic one as the white connector doesn't look like one that will connect to an MGR one, if you look at their link to additional fitting information, it shows it connected to either an ISO plug or 17 pin BMW plug - you will not need another adapter.

You can see that the two adapters in the lower pictures are basic ones and both have three pins not connected, these leads won't work with steering controls.
OK, being a bit thick here, but are you saying it will or won't need an extra adaptor!?
Old 26th March 2007, 18:28   #6
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

If you have a Symphony unit and don't want steering controls you don't need any adapters, the Symphony unit has ISO plugs, after market units also have ISO plugs (or come with their own ISO adapter) so it is a direct replacement.

If you have a Harmony unit, you will need a BMW to ISO adapter as the Harmony has a 17 pin BMW plug (which needs to be changed to ISO) the bottom picture in your link, but the steering wheel controls won't work.

For the steering controls you need an interface that converts the output from the car switches to be recognised by the head unit. (the black box in the top picture in your link)

It fits in line between the car loom and head unit, one end fits the head unit, the other end fits the car loom, so you need to know if that end is ISO or BMW
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 20:32   #7
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
If you have a Harmony unit, you will need a BMW to ISO adapter as the Harmony has a 17 pin BMW plug (which needs to be changed to ISO) the bottom picture in your link, but the steering wheel controls won't work.
Darn............ 'Tis a Harmony......
Old 26th March 2007, 21:09   #8
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I had to get an adapter for my harmony from halfords, £10 standard harness non remote £30 for adapter with steering remote + £5 for alpine adapter to main harness.
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote