Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th April 2020, 12:41   #11
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

These characters were caught red-handed flouting the rules and acting the goat to boot. Click
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2020, 12:58   #12
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Just been studying the 'rules' and can't find where it prohibits driving around then back home without getting out of the car. Anybody know?
Old 13th April 2020, 13:25   #13
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Just been studying the 'rules' and can't find where it prohibits driving around then back home without getting out of the car. Anybody know?
To quote from .gov website:-
"Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)."
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2020, 14:52   #14
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
I was wondering about that too. Personally, I think that if you stay in the car, have no contact with anyone else, and just go from your door, to the car, and then from your car to your door, it's doing no harm, if you are within your car, it's a form of self-isolation.
I am mindful not all will see it that way.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2020, 15:12   #15
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I think the reasoning behind no car journeys is that if there was an accident then that’s more drain of resources on the NHS.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2020, 15:22   #16
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Maybe the ''no unnecessary journeys'' bit? I suppose if you are out and about and you are unlucky enough to break down, get a puncture or even crash you potentially might have to get somebody else involved?

Also if you go out in your car more than a few times you will need to get some fuel, this makes the risk of you getting the virus bigger either by getting close to somebody who has it or picking it up from contaminated pump?

I think the weekly shop is as much as we should actually do at the moment but maybe go the long way there or back.

SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2020, 18:38   #17
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Yup, agree with all that, especially the NHS aspect. I was more trying to find why the rules are so imprecise you could drive a horse and cart through them. And of course adequate inspection reveals it does not actually say 'no car journeys'!

Shopping invariably involves a car but the ruling by random police officers seems to disregard some legitimate use but not all. It seems unlikely the government would be so lax in the wording - it is after all a matter of law.
Old 13th April 2020, 19:06   #18
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Yup, agree with all that, especially the NHS aspect. I was more trying to find why the rules are so imprecise you could drive a horse and cart through them. And of course adequate inspection reveals it does not actually say 'no car journeys'!

Shopping invariably involves a car but the ruling by random police officers seems to disregard some legitimate use but not all. It seems unlikely the government would be so lax in the wording - it is after all a matter of law.
I am completely isolating, as much as I possibly can, since the 23rd. I have been out in the car just three times since then, for the heavier shopping loads, but without even getting out of the driving seat until I got home. One of the trips was to get a tyre repaired, top the car's tank up and get a gallon of petrol for the tractor/mower.

SWMBO does all the actual shopping, including nipping from car into shops. For the lighter loads, she walks to and from the supermarket or local shops and wears disposable gloves from setting off, to her return.

Tempting as it is to take a joyride ride out on the quiet roads, with the low cost of fuel - we are staying home.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2020, 13:11   #19
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

You don't need me to tell you that you are doing everything right Harry. My neighbour was stopped by police and asked where he was going and was it 'essential'. His daughter, from the passenger seat, produced evidence of a shopping list on her phone which had the dateline on it. Who knows what would have taken place if they had not done that list. It was a random stop, he said, and asked them to take care. It wouldn't hurt to dot the i's and cross the t's.