Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 22nd June 2013, 13:40   #541
grah

Rover 75 Saloon

Default How to obtain Handbrake Compensator Modification ?

Hi,

I am new member to the club. I am greatly impressed by the knowledge and help people provide, especially the instructions in pictures (far better than a manual).

I would like to obtain a Handbrake Compensator Modification from Arctic - how can I contact him?
Old 22nd June 2013, 21:14   #542
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grah View Post
Hi,

I am new member to the club. I am greatly impressed by the knowledge and help people provide, especially the instructions in pictures (far better than a manual).

I would like to obtain a Handbrake Compensator Modification from Arctic - how can I contact him?
Hi Graham.
I have sent you a PM should be no posting to you as i am in Wolves also

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Old 23rd June 2013, 09:45   #543
john from stoke

rover75 saloon

Default handbrake mod

had my handbrake done by arctic holds on two clicks steve is doing a great job with theese mods and is helping the cars pass the m.o.t.
Old 1st July 2013, 21:20   #544
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Wish mine would hold on 3, even with a welded c/sator it only holds on 6 and has had to be adjusted several times to get it to hold on 4. See my post in tech help.
Old 1st July 2013, 21:41   #545
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Wish mine would hold on 3, even with a welded c/sator it only holds on 6 and has had to be adjusted several times to get it to hold on 4. See my post in tech help.
Hi Richard.
I do not send out welded compensator never have and never will stainless steel only for me, but you may need to take off your drum disc clean and adjust with the handbrake front cable adjuster nut flush with the top of the thread, once youhave adjusted at the drum end then and only then adjust at the front up to 25mm that should do the job if not you may need to check out the back plate which you can do anyway when you are inspecting the inner drum shoes etc Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 1st July 2013, 21:45   #546
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Richard.
I do not send out welded compensator never have and never will stainless steel only for me, but you may need to take off your drum disc clean and adjust with the handbrake front cable adjuster nut flush with the top of the thread, once youhave adjusted at the drum end then and only then adjust at the front up to 25mm that should do the job if not you may need to check out the back plate which you can do anyway when you are inspecting the inner drum shoes etc Arctic.
Steve , I got mine from Harry, and what you have just described is what Brian advised to do,but he said adjust the shoes until the disc will only just fit over with a little resistance.
Old 1st July 2013, 23:35   #547
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Steve , I got mine from Harry, and what you have just described is what Brian advised to do,but he said adjust the shoes until the disc will only just fit over with a little resistance.
Hi Richard.
Yes Brian is correct take off the drum clean it then refit so it will just go on over the shoes then you can adjust at the front cable, over the last two weeks i have done both my cars but they have the SSC not welded one i also know whom you got it from i can remember you saying when you first had it fitted also he is the only person whom is doing the welded one, few pis below

my drum Sunday gone

Note the build up of **** and dust inside but even like this mine still held but now adjusted holds even better 2 clicks

before cleaning the shoes to inspect for cracks and parting from the metal plate

cleaned up and marked with felt pen before adjusting so the new drum will only just fit over the shoes with resistance

Start adjusment before fitting the drum count the notches and if drum will not fit on turn back notch at a time until will only just fit over

adjusted and fitted with copper grease on face to stop wheel stcking to the drum in the future

My original welded compensator on left other on the right there is always a right way and a wrong way i am afraid also a cheap way and a pay for what you get way (sorry) but it is true

Original compensator not modified 1mm gap

my welded one after i inspected and thought it was stretching again this is why i never went with the welded one it is still soft chocolate metal
coming up to 5mm gap fom 1mm i have also seen the weld snap on some of them i have been sent

The three above are the ones i fitted and took to the charity meet recently cheers Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Last edited by Arctic; 1st July 2013 at 23:48.. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 2nd July 2013, 09:19   #548
Mischief
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

I have given up taking mine to the garage as it still hits the roof when trying to hold the car on a hill start, I don't think they actually know how to adjust the hand brake at all. Plus the fact I get a scraping noise from the rear wheels when moving

John

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My 75's General Information:

• This vehicle was the 49,501st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
  • This vehicle was the 1st 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
  • This vehicle was the 1st 75 in Celestial (Special Metallic) (code: IAI) to be made out of 19 Celestial (Special Metallic) 75s
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:41   #549
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
I have given up taking mine to the garage as it still hits the roof when trying to hold the car on a hill start, I don't think they actually know how to adjust the hand brake at all. Plus the fact I get a scraping noise from the rear wheels when moving

John

Hi John
Have you ever took your drums off cleaned them out and checked the back plate there could be lots of dust build up also have you adjusted at the rear drum disc might be best to start a new thread intech and we can use it as a progress thread once you find out what is going on in those drums and take some pics maybe pop them off at the meet Sunday and take a look. Arctic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC18382.jpg (137.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SDC18381.jpg (133.7 KB, 19 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Last edited by Arctic; 2nd July 2013 at 10:45..
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:41   #550
Mischief
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Sorry I must add the compensator does its job more than 100% the problem is the garage replaced all the brakes discs, pads and handbrake shoes. I just don't think they know how to adjust it on my car is all.

John

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My 75's General Information:

• This vehicle was the 49,501st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
  • This vehicle was the 1st 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
  • This vehicle was the 1st 75 in Celestial (Special Metallic) (code: IAI) to be made out of 19 Celestial (Special Metallic) 75s
Closed Thread