Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th December 2020, 10:59   #11
Annfield-East
Loves to post

None

Default Is it any wonder?

This morning I removed the nearside boot liner, and the reason for the leak was about as clear as it will ever be. Where the forward trim strut fitting should have been protruding through was just a hole! See attachments.

There are five, not four trim fittings, there is another, similar to the front two, located just out of sight, forward of the leading of the two hexagonal plastic coated nuts.

I've carried out a temporary repair from inside, and the boot mat and nearside lining are currently indoors snuggled up to the radiators, drying out, hopefully for good.

Update. Despite what I have done, water is still managing its way into the boot, but this time it is only accumulating at base level. The area referred to in #9 of this thread was totally dry this time. We have just had three hours of heavy rain, and there was a pool of water roughly under the rearmost hexagonal washer is. There was evidence of a little water trail from that fitting, but all the others were dry. However, here is no way that such small leaks could allow in such a relatively large amount of water.

Tomorrow I'll ensure the boot is dry, then take my newly acquired pressure washer to it and see it that sheds any light on where the leak is. Probably the rear light cluster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201213_111644.jpg (118.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20201213_112339.jpg (62.0 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Annfield-East; 13th December 2020 at 19:24.. Reason: Additional paragraph.
Annfield-East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2020, 09:00   #12
Annfield-East
Loves to post

None

Default Further Update

This morning I removed the light cluster for closer examination. The foam seal was in perfect condition but was wet, and it was easy to see where the water had managed to penetrate. The black panel which is attached to the top of the light cluster had come away, and, being exposed to rain, was allowing water into the unit. A further examination revealed the reason was a broken fixing.

Rather than use superglue I secured it, at least for the time being, with some red PVC insulation tape which will, with a bit of luck, keep the water out for long enough to establish if this was the cause.

I also found a small amount of water on the flat area pictured in #9 of this thread, and I presume this has come from one of the other chrome strip fixings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201214_085040.jpg (32.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20201214_085737.jpg (63.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20201214_095108.jpg (81.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 14th December 2020, 13:34   #13
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annfield-East View Post
This morning I removed the light cluster for closer examination. The foam seal was in perfect condition but was wet, and it was easy to see where the water had managed to penetrate. The black panel which is attached to the top of the light cluster had come away, and, being exposed to rain, was allowing water into the unit. A further examination revealed the reason was a broken fixing.

Rather than use superglue I secured it, at least for the time being, with some red PVC insulation tape which will, with a bit of luck, keep the water out for long enough to establish if this was the cause.

I also found a small amount of water on the flat area pictured in #9 of this thread, and I presume this has come from one of the other chrome strip fixings.
It's a good time of year to stay on top of these things and I admire the use of pvc tape - my answer to everything!
AndrewJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2020, 13:45   #14
Annfield-East
Loves to post

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJames View Post
It's a good time of year to stay on top of these things and I admire the use of pvc tape - my answer to everything!
The red tape is hardly noticeable from outside. If the problem persists it will result in a trip to MGR John at Blaydon for a replacement light cluster. He always has plenty of 75's in for dismantling.
Old 14th December 2020, 13:52   #15
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annfield-East View Post
The red tape is hardly noticeable from outside. If the problem persists it will result in a trip to MGR John at Blaydon for a replacement light cluster. He always has plenty of 75's in for dismantling.
Best of luck with it. Lovely colour on your car by the way. That's one of my favourites.
Old 16th December 2020, 11:03   #16
Annfield-East
Loves to post

None

This mornings three hour period of heavy rain has eased off. and to my pleasant surprise the boot was found it to be totally dry.
Old 16th December 2020, 12:12   #17
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Bish bash bosh.
Old 16th December 2020, 12:15   #18
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

It's like when your child has its first dry night!
Old 16th December 2020, 12:53   #19
Annfield-East
Loves to post

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
It's like when your child has its first dry night!
Yes, that's one way of putting it.
Old 21st December 2020, 08:56   #20
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Finally tackled mine this weekend. As always seems to be the case for me when it comes to fiddly things and plastic clips, I broke two or three. One of the threaded parts that the plastic nuts go on actually turned to dust. I wasn't too upset as I was planning to use sikaflex anyway which is a sealant and an adhesive. Word to the wise though my hands still have traces of black gunk after two days of painful scrubbing.

I used a little too much sikaflex which has squeezed out the edges of the chrome strip a tad. You only notice it if you look for it and I'd prefer this to a flooded boot. I decided to look in the spare wheel well too and I'm glad I did as there was water and rust at the bottom that I didn't know about. A slightly crusty spare wheel! I sanded the wheel well down and applied some rust converter.

So far the boot seems dry. I'll wait and see after the next torrential downpour!