Old 26th December 2020, 12:49   #11
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Bedfont Lakes is just down the road.
I used to live in Gilmore Crescent, Ashford and my children were born in Ashford hospital

macafee2
Ah, the Lakes are in a very awkward position, over the bridge in Clockhouse Lane, no footpath. I go up to Shortwood Common, near what was the Crooked Billet.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 13:18   #12
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Ah, the Lakes are in a very awkward position, over the bridge in Clockhouse Lane, no footpath. I go up to Shortwood Common, near what was the Crooked Billet.
Our street was very busy with people out for walks and vehicles, or simply out for shopping on the eve and then the day. Today at least so far, it has been very quiet, I don't know where everyone is?

We've stayed in, shelves, cupboards, fridge and freezer are absolutely rammed with food, far more than we might need and she has promised to supply a meal to a male neighbour, who's wife is in hospital, if he needs one.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 14:37   #13
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Our street was very busy with people out for walks and vehicles, or simply out for shopping on the eve and then the day. Today at least so far, it has been very quiet, I don't know where everyone is?

We've stayed in, shelves, cupboards, fridge and freezer are absolutely rammed with food, far more than we might need and she has promised to supply a meal to a male neighbour, who's wife is in hospital, if he needs one.
That is very thoughtful. This "she", is that a special person in your life?
Old 26th December 2020, 16:52   #14
Steamdrivenandy
Avid contributor

Thinking on

I was just pondering where the Muller milk tanker is. We moved into a barn conversion in August and twice a day a Muller tanker goes past to collect milk from a farm about half a mile up our lane, by the M6. I've not heard/seen it since Christmas Eve. That sort of begs the question that if the farm can store the milk for two days, why do they normally collect twice a day?
Steamdrivenandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 18:43   #15
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
That is very thoughtful. This "she", is that a special person in your life?
My partner

She became involved with some sort of social network for the street, when the first lock -down occurred. She has helped a few people out, who have been stuck for minor items like wallpaper paste and yesterday across the road were stuck for icing sugar, with the shops being closed.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 26th December 2020 at 18:56..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 19:19   #16
Steamdrivenandy
Avid contributor

Thinking on

We moved into a barn conversion in August. It's part of a group of barns/farmhouse developed in '95, with lots of landscapes shared areas and vehicles kept to outside the communal areas.
There are 14 properties of varying size, our next door neighbour is a 90+ year old lady and there are other single occupants as well as families of varying ages. Mrs SDA knew people from three of the houses before we moved here as they'd been members of her community choir.
So on Christmas Eve she organised socially distanced carol singing with everybody well spaced around the central courtyard which is lit by the many coach lamps on the walls of the barn. It was a lovely experience in the bitter cold, under a bright moon, with stars glinting in the clear sky. It was so frustrating that it couldn't be followed up with a good old party and chinwag.
We learned that our next door but two neighbour who has the garage next to ours and is slowly restoring a '65 MGB could not join his sister for Christmas Day this year and would be spending the day on his own. Again, frustration that we couldn't invite him to join us.
It's also frustrating that, as newcomers, it would seem pushy to suggest that all 14 households share email addresses to help communications all round.
Steamdrivenandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2020, 19:49   #17
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
My partner

She became involved with some sort of social network for the street, when the first lock -down occurred. She has helped a few people out, who have been stuck for minor items like wallpaper paste and yesterday across the road were stuck for icing sugar, with the shops being closed.
Excellent.
Old 27th December 2020, 23:21   #18
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

There are definitely more people wandering about where I live, people who would normally be gainfully employed in the main

It's simply a different way of using time that would be better spent actually doing something useful, and being unable to differentiate clearly between what should be enjoyable leisure activities and being told to fill your day with mundane means of passing time are ultimately harmful.

We are currently in a period of time that should be the busiest of the year in my industry, instead we are left wondering if there will be anything left once the draconian yet ultimately useless measures are finally lifted.

So in answer to Ian's thread title, yes there are more people about, bored out of their minds trying to waste their lives in as painless a way as possible.

Alf
Alf Best is offline   Reply With Quote