Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th January 2021, 18:32   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default covid and impact on education

I wonder how education and knowledge from missed learning will be effected by covid.
Will children from wealthy homes do better then children from "poor" families and if so why? Does wealth and education of parents go hand in hand?

Could it be there just is not enough money after basic bills are paid to afford a pc or is there any spend that is not needed leading to lack of funds for a pc?

I am so glad by children are beyond the university age but if you have children below university leave age and in education how is their education going?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 19:04   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I was thinking the same today after I heard the announcements. Part of the problem in some cases is peoples priorities. I have customers who claim poverty but always have enough for a packet of fags every day and a new tattoo if so desired.

When my children were growing up I would have gone hungry if it helped but luckily we always seemed to be OK but it was close on some occasions.

If these families who need a laptop to help with there children's education I am sure one could be sourced even if it was used or borrowed. There are used laptops on Ebay for under £100
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 20:58   #3
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I wonder how education and knowledge from missed learning will be effected by covid.
Will children from wealthy homes do better then children from "poor" families and if so why? Does wealth and education of parents go hand in hand?

macafee2
Money does matter. A private school will not willingly employ a Marxist teacher who wants to stay at home/go on additional holidays whilst receiving 100% of his public funded salary. Unless specifically told to by the govt. private schools have provided more classroom time than the state schools. Private schools have also provided a far higher standard of "on-line" learning that state ones.

Have heard of too many state run school failings for the stories not to have truth in them. So in answer to your posed question.....Private school pupils will be years ahead of state school ones and they will thrive and capture whatever jobs market availability there will be (I'm not including the state school genius or driven pupil - I think they will still be around for them to be pointed out for state school schooling success).

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 21:21   #4
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Money does matter. A private school will not willingly employ a Marxist teacher who wants to stay at home/go on additional holidays whilst receiving 100% of his public funded salary.

Kev
I must tell my daughter who is maths teacher in a state school in Yorkshire that she has additional time off to go on holiday. It will play havoc with all online lessons she's doing, the phone calls to and from pupils along with the emails from other pupils. Not all within the working day of course but also long into the evenings.
She's not a Marxist sofar as I know but I'm pleased to say she is a fully paid up trade union member.
All the teachers I know are working, supporting as many pupils as they are able.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 21:36   #5
KLM
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club CDT

A Marxist teacher who wants to stay at home/go on additional holidays whilst receiving 100% of his public funded salary.

torque2me You are a Foolish bigot.

KLM.
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 22:15   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Money does matter. A private school will not willingly employ a Marxist teacher who wants to stay at home/go on additional holidays whilst receiving 100% of his public funded salary. Unless specifically told to by the govt. private schools have provided more classroom time than the state schools. Private schools have also provided a far higher standard of "on-line" learning that state ones.

Have heard of too many state run school failings for the stories not to have truth in them. So in answer to your posed question.....Private school pupils will be years ahead of state school ones and they will thrive and capture whatever jobs market availability there will be (I'm not including the state school genius or driven pupil - I think they will still be around for them to be pointed out for state school schooling success).

Kev

Kev, the only part of your post that seems to be on the same page as my question is "Private school pupils will be years ahead of state school ones"
I have always thought that the state school teachers I have met due to having children, were always hard working and dedicated.

macafee2
Old 4th January 2021, 22:21   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Parents too can play a part, thinking of myself, I could not teach my children much past the 12 times table. Spelling, not if it has more then 3 letters. Punctuation, may be. It would not be that I am lazy or do not care but that I am not that clever.
I could provide a pc and anything they needed to be on line with a teacher as my approach has always been the needs of the children before squandering money.
Fortunately my wife has brains .....mmmm may be not she married me. They would learn from her as she can give lots of support and is good at research.

macafee2
Old 4th January 2021, 22:27   #8
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

My Daughter is a school teacher, and definitely not a Marxist. As for 100% public funding, i think everyone is payed by the public, whatever you produce is paid for by the public and ends up in your your pocket. And as for private schools, judging by the intelligence of past pupils in our Government, they were not attending to be educated, but for the sole purpose of being in the company of others like themselves, and would be good allies in their future careers.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.

Last edited by jackatesme; 4th January 2021 at 23:06..
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2021, 23:19   #9
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I know all teachers are not holiday-seeking Marxists. My dad was one, and he worked most evenings, weekends and holidays.

But the school where my kids go did absolutely jack during the previous lockdown. I expect more of the same this time. The effort from the parents varies, but those on their own, or with jobs, will struggle.

The worst thing is the lack of contact with their peers and the lack of formal structure. School provides this for kids in addition to their technical education. A zoom lesson cannot deliver this. I saw the regression in my kids last time, and suspect it will happen again from tomorrow.

Closing schools is pure evil. The people pushing this are wicked.
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 05:53   #10
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

I'm right pickled off with the primary school my children go to.
They went in on the 4th the school seemed quiet , we dropped them off happy enough .
We noticed a post on the school notice website almost encouraging parents to keep the children of.
When they arrived home we asked about their first day back.
What was the reply ? They watched cartoon films all day.
And now they are off until who knows when.
So we are now taking over the education , what choice is there