Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th January 2021, 13:48   #41
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

What prevents you from describing them as terrorists? Please don't suggest or insinuate that their actions were legitimate.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2021, 14:30   #42
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
What prevents you from describing them as terrorists? Please don't suggest or insinuate that their actions were legitimate.
please can you answer this question I posted earlier
At what point do you split a protestor from the type of terrorist that uses bombs?

In answer to your question, the way I perceive, view the person that waves a banner, throws rocks and fire bombs (although I think at this point protest may have become riot) to the person that plants bombs, fires weapons intent on killing many.

I am sorry that I cannot agree with you that the description of them as a terrorist is appropriate. To march along a street with a banner may well be legal in America I do not know, storming a building, attacking people and causing damage probably is not and I do not condone it. I do not condone rioting or looting and a protest can lead to both.

I think the only thing we disagree on is the description.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2021, 14:39   #43
andymc
Posted a thing or two

What you're asking now doesn't make sense. These people are "the type of terrorist that uses bombs" because they did use bombs.

They were aggressors, as in they were the instigators of armed violence. They weren't just intent on killing, they did kill. They sought to overthrow the democratic process through the use of violence.

I gave you a dictionary definition of terrorist in a previous reply. Which part of it does not apply to these people?
Old 8th January 2021, 15:56   #44
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
What you're asking now doesn't make sense. These people are "the type of terrorist that uses bombs" because they did use bombs.

They were aggressors, as in they were the instigators of armed violence. They weren't just intent on killing, they did kill. They sought to overthrow the democratic process through the use of violence.

I gave you a dictionary definition of terrorist in a previous reply. Which part of it does not apply to these people?
Calm yourself down. Your anger is not allowing you to deal with my question, you refer to "these people" my question does not.
It asks about splitting a protestor from a terrorist and where you draw the line.

I appreciate you gave a definition and at no point did I challenge it.

macafee2
Old 8th January 2021, 16:04   #45
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2021, 16:21   #46
andymc
Posted a thing or two

This is what you wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
At what point do you split a protestor from the type of terrorist that uses bombs?
A protestor that uses unlawful violence and intimidation conjures up a different image then terrorist that uses bombs and guns.

If the news had reported terrorist's had stormed I would have expected people with guns and bombs but reporting protestor's had stormed I believe conjures up a more realistic image.

macafee2

The part I have highlighted conveys the impression that you view the people who carried out yesterday's actions as protestors, rather than terrorists. If that is not the case, some clarification/correction is in order.
Old 8th January 2021, 16:51   #47
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
This is what you wrote:

The part I have highlighted conveys the impression that you view the people who carried out yesterday's actions as protestors, rather than terrorists. If that is not the case, some clarification/correction is in order.
You have still not answered my question
Could you explain why?
No correction needed, I think their actions are more what I would consider to be those of a protestor may even go as far as rioter then I would a terrorist.

Some point in the future I will forget the event. If someone asks me do I recall the terrorists storming the congress, I will conjure up the wrong picture in my mind and possibly say no.
If I say yes then it will probably be down to this thread

If they ask me do I recall the protestors storming the congress I will conjure up the pictures we saw broadcast on the news and possibly say yes.

macafee2
Old 8th January 2021, 16:52   #48
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Come on chaps, settle down please
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2021, 17:24   #49
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Could you explain why?
No correction needed, I think their actions are more what I would consider to be those of a protestor may even go as far as rioter then I would a terrorist.

Some point in the future I will forget the event. If someone asks me do I recall the terrorists storming the congress, I will conjure up the wrong picture in my mind and possibly say no.

If they ask me do I recall the protestors storming the congress I will conjure up the pictures we saw broadcast on the news and possibly say yes.

macafee2
Very well. I would differentiate between a protestor and a terrorist by pointing out that the actions of the former are generally passive and non-violent up to the point where violence is necessary in order to defend oneself, whereas the actions of the latter aggressively instigate violence and either threaten or harm the physical welfare of others in order to achieve a political aim or political power. Protestors usually wish to protect something or someone from harm, aggression or danger, whereas terrorists usually wish to endanger, dominate or destroy. What we saw in Washington on Wednesday were terrorists.
Old 8th January 2021, 17:43   #50
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Could you explain why?

macafee2
Do you remember the protesters blowing up the Grand Hotel in Brighton?

Genuine protesting involves no damage to property, nor mental or physical injury.

If you instill fear for personal safety then you are terrorising that person.

If you were present, would you imagine yourself to be fearful of the events occurring around you or not? I know I would!

Are you saying that if members of the PIRA stormed Downing Street or The House of Commons, gaining entry, disrupted the installation of a new Prime Minister, all whilst destroying documents, and other property, you would call them protesters or terrorists?

And for a bit of balance, how about terrorism or performance art? (a little background to the protester/performance artist/terrorist HERE)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 8th January 2021 at 18:15..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote