Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th July 2016, 11:25   #1
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Tourer load cover ** Repaired !**

I don't use my load cover very often, but needed to yesterday. Pulled it out to cover the load space and now it won't retract. I have tried all sorts of jiggling but it will not go back in. I'm probably going to have to strip it down.

Before I start tearing into it, has anyone pulled one of these apart and can offer any advice / guidance?

thanks
MWMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 13:33   #2
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWMan View Post
I don't use my load cover very often, but needed to yesterday. Pulled it out to cover the load space and now it won't retract. I have tried all sorts of jiggling but it will not go back in. I'm probably going to have to strip it down.

Before I start tearing into it, has anyone pulled one of these apart and can offer any advice / guidance?

thanks
I have one here if you need one?
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 14:52   #3
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks Tom - just a bit far away from me, and I'm sure this is fixable.

Thanks anyway
Old 11th July 2016, 16:40   #4
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Thanks Tom - just a bit far away from me, and I'm sure this is fixable.

Thanks anyway
No worries, can have it for postage costs if you cant fix yours
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 05:53   #5
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Repaired !

Well I had a go at repairing this and it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics but here is what I did.

1. Drill out the three pop rivets on both end caps and remove them. Both end caps need to be off.

2. Slide the cover out of the frame and on a nice flat surface (The carpet in the lounge), roll it up nice and tightly. The cover has a central tube with simple hole at one end, and at the other end is a slot which engages into a plastic key on the end cap.

3. Slide it back into the holder (leave it sticking out by an inch or two) and at the end with the key slot, use a coin or washer to wind the key slot to put tension on the internal spring. You need to use a bit of judgement as to the tension, but I put enough on to make it just difficult enough to hold in place with my finger.

4. While still holding the key slot on the roller (now under tension), put the end cap key into the slot. Now the spring is held under tension as long as you keep hold of the end cap.

5. With the end cap attached to the roller end, place it back onto the frame. I now put some long pop rivets back into the holes just to stop the end cap from coming back off. I didn’t tighten them up at this stage.

6. At the other end jiggle the end cap onto the roller and then fit it back onto the frame. Again, I put some temporary pop rivets in there to stop the cap from coming off.

7. Now you can try the roller to see if it works OK. If it does not retract with enough tension, take everything apart and start again, putting more tension on the roller this time.

8. If all is well, just tighten up the Pop Rivets which secures the end caps in place permanently.

Note. Make sure the length of the Pop rivets is OK. One of them needs to be a short one, the other two are longer.

Reading this probably makes it seem more difficult than it is. When you get it apart it becomes very obvious.
Old 12th January 2021, 13:28   #6
Thunderbolt
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T+ 190

Quote:
Well I had a go at repairing this and it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics but here is what I did.

1. Drill out the three pop rivets on both end caps and remove them. Both end caps need to be off.

2. Slide the cover out of the frame and on a nice flat surface (The carpet in the lounge), roll it up nice and tightly. The cover has a central tube with simple hole at one end, and at the other end is a slot which engages into a plastic key on the end cap.

3. Slide it back into the holder (leave it sticking out by an inch or two) and at the end with the key slot, use a coin or washer to wind the key slot to put tension on the internal spring. You need to use a bit of judgement as to the tension, but I put enough on to make it just difficult enough to hold in place with my finger.

4. While still holding the key slot on the roller (now under tension), put the end cap key into the slot. Now the spring is held under tension as long as you keep hold of the end cap.

5. With the end cap attached to the roller end, place it back onto the frame. I now put some long pop rivets back into the holes just to stop the end cap from coming back off. I didn’t tighten them up at this stage.

6. At the other end jiggle the end cap onto the roller and then fit it back onto the frame. Again, I put some temporary pop rivets in there to stop the cap from coming off.

7. Now you can try the roller to see if it works OK. If it does not retract with enough tension, take everything apart and start again, putting more tension on the roller this time.

8. If all is well, just tighten up the Pop Rivets which secures the end caps in place permanently.

Note. Make sure the length of the Pop rivets is OK. One of them needs to be a short one, the other two are longer.

Reading this probably makes it seem more difficult than it is. When you get it apart it becomes very obvious.
Thanks I have to do this soon, useful advice,
Old 12th January 2021, 14:55   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

thanks for the how to, perhaps you could write it up as a separate post and have it put into the How To section, very useful.

I appreciate it did not retract but can I ask why it did not retract?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2021, 16:22   #8
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Thread was started 4 years ago. The OP hasn't logged in for 6 months
Old 12th January 2021, 16:37   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
Thread was started 4 years ago. The OP hasn't logged in for 6 months
oh effin hell, I never saw that, just the previous post.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2021, 17:05   #10
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

lol. Glad I'm not the only one
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote