Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th January 2021, 11:47   #1
rontug
Loves to post

rover 75 Club SE cdt 2001

Default Covid Warning

To all those who have had or waiting for an inoculation. My brother who is 81 had his 1st jab before Christmas. He had his second jab last Friday (a week ago) begining of this this week he had symtems went for a test on Wednesday and it has come back positive. he has all the symtems of covid not just mild ones and is rather unwell. the only contact he has had are those in the clinic . Stay Safe Folks. Just because your injected does not mean its all over

Just Spoke To My brother, Its Been Nearly A Week And He's Not getting Any Worse. Tempretures Gone left with congestion on his Chest But Feeling Better. Thanks everyone's For Concern

Last edited by rontug; 19th January 2021 at 10:55.. Reason: update
rontug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 12:21   #2
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

I suppose that the vaccines only claim to be 90+% effective. (Some of the others in use even lower at just over 50%)

Which of course doesn't mean that the other 10% will catch the virus but your experience isn't encouraging in as much as being the solution to the crisis for all that we'd hoped is it?

Let's hope your brother fights it off successfully.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 12:31   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Good luck to your brother, and you all.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 13:50   #4
rontug
Loves to post

rover 75 Club SE cdt 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
I suppose that the vaccines only claim to be 90+% effective. (Some of the others in use even lower at just over 50%)

Which of course doesn't mean that the other 10% will catch the virus but your experience isn't encouraging in as much as being the solution to the crisis for all that we'd hoped is it?

Let's hope your brother fights it off successfully.
listening to the news the travel industry is quickly getting bookings mainly from over 50s who no doubt thinking they are safe after the vaccine. i
rontug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 15:42   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Ron. I hope that your brother makes a full recovery.

Since vaccines work by deliberately introducing a small amount of the virus*, it's not entirely surprising that your brother's test was positive shortly after receiving his second inoculation. What is unusual is that his body hasn't reacted as expected, by producing antibodies. It's extremely unlikely to be linked to his contact with other people.

Best wishes to all.

Simon

* A rudimentary definition, I know.
Old 16th January 2021, 15:54   #6
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontug View Post
listening to the news the travel industry is quickly getting bookings mainly from over 50s who no doubt thinking they are safe after the vaccine. i
The travel industry are no doubt trying to drum up panic buying as they are desperate for your cash!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 16th January 2021, 15:59   #7
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I am sure we all wish your brother the best for getting over this terrible virus, that some people are still being ignorant about. I had my first jab last Sunday at 81 years of age.it takes around 10/15 Days for the injection to possibly give any protection. It is a ‘dead’ vaccine. There is no ‘live’ elements’ to it, that is the phizerbiontech vaccine. You are given a pamphlet that tells you all about it, and any reactions that you may get from it. You can get some symptoms of Covid19 but not the full blown Covid19 as far as I know.We all hope everything will blow over for your brother.
Old 16th January 2021, 16:52   #8
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Best wishes.

Quote:
To all those who have had or waiting for an inoculation. My brother who is 81 had his 1st jab before Christmas. He had his second jab last Friday (a week ago) begining of this this week he had symtems went for a test on Wednesday and it has come back positive. he has all the symtems of covid not just mild ones and is rather unwell. the only contact he has had are those in the clinic . Stay Safe Folks. Just because your injected does not mean its all over
With luck your brother will get through OK, lots of fluids and rest seem to help, I slept on four pillows to keep me almost upright, it helped to ease the vicious cough. I lost the ability to eat and that was hard, I ended up drinking complan to help me, maybe some of that in the house wouldn't be a bad thing.
Wish him well from myself as he fights it off.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 21:33   #9
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Ron. I hope that your brother makes a full recovery.

Since vaccines work by deliberately introducing a small amount of the virus*, it's not entirely surprising that your brother's test was positive shortly after receiving his second inoculation. What is unusual is that his body hasn't reacted as expected, by producing antibodies. It's extremely unlikely to be linked to his contact with other people.

Best wishes to all.

Simon

* A rudimentary definition, I know.
Hi Simon, unfortunately your post contains some misunderstanding about the current covid-19 vaccines and how a positive test could occur.

The two vaccines currently in use in the UK do not use actual SARS-CoV-2 viruses in complete form. The Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine uses a small fragment of virus genetic code (RNA) contained within a lipid droplet, a bit like a small blob of fat so to deliver the RNA into the body. The code then instructs the body to make covid spike proteins, which your body then sees and forms antibodies against. The Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine uses a harmless chimpanze virus which has been genetically modified with the same or similar section of RNA, so it too delivers the RNA into your body which again makes some virus spikes that the immune system produces antibodies against.

One of the Chinese vaccines uses attenuated viruses, and there are possibly others in development that will also use that traditional method.

The injections are put into your arm and do not contain entire coronavirus particles, so any PCR test taken from nose/throat/saliva that shows the presence of the virus is completely unrelated to the vaccine, and can only be due to an actual infection. I would think that would also be the case for a rapid lateral flow test too.

The vaccines currently in use cannot cause an actual covid infection, only side-effects due to being vaccinated.

rotung - sorry to hear that your brother has caught the virus, I hope he gets better soon and I hope this is a very rare occurrence given that he already had one dose before the time of being infected and that the government's move to widen the spacing is to given some protection to as many people as possible.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 22:07   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
I really, really wish your brother well.--At 83 I'm in the same sort of age group. Your news is a little bit worrying to me.

Reading through all the posts on this thread I found my thoughts about what's happening similar to those of Bolin.

There are bound to occur cases of folk who have acquired Covid concurrent with their appointment for the vaccine.

Maybe in your brothers case the vaccine hadn't had enough time to trigger a response against the vaccine before he became infected with the actual virus.

You don't say where your brother is at the moment but I hope he is somewhere where he can be given all the help he needs to fight the infection.

Again as in all the above posts I hope for the very best for him.

Colvert.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote