Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd January 2021, 11:29   #11
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

If you want to really wind them up, pay an extra £0.99 when you send the cheque, they will then have to refund you the difference.
Old 22nd January 2021, 16:52   #12
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
If you want to really wind them up, pay an extra £0.99 when you send the cheque, they will then have to refund you the difference.
Is that the minimum they will entertain? Otherwise 1p would be more aggravating....

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2021, 18:10   #13
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
You need to be careful with this, my father had a speeding fine a few years ago (34mph in a 30mph zone) and overpaid it to muck up the system. He got the cheque back with a letter and and a fee for late payment.

In Oxford if you pay it within 14 days you pay less than if you wait or decide to contest it. If you contest it and loose you have to pay the full fine.

In my view over complicated parking meters or having to pay with a phone call dont help, yes I get it that the number plate is a good idea but some meters seem amazingly complicated. I recently gave up on one and moved my car to a place where you took a ticket and paid on your return.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2021, 18:50   #14
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
You need to be careful with this, my father had a speeding fine a few years ago (34mph in a 30mph zone) and overpaid it to muck up the system. He got the cheque back with a letter and and a fee for late payment.
Might not be legal if challenged in a court of law as the offer to pay has been made. The surplus of funds is interesting and I'm sure our "learned friends" would be more than happy to argue the pro's and con's at £1,000 a day.

Quote:
In Oxford if you pay it within 14 days you pay less than if you wait or decide to contest it. If you contest it and loose you have to pay the full fine.
I think that is fairly standard Steve, certainly is so in my neck of the woods. There is some form of compliance standards they have to adhere to I believe.
Quote:

In my view over complicated parking meters or having to pay with a phone call dont help, yes I get it that the number plate is a good idea but some meters seem amazingly complicated. I recently gave up on one and moved my car to a place where you took a ticket and paid on your return.
Discrimination against people who have not, or cannot, use a mobile phone but hey, the Minister present and past never gave a monkey's and it's all about ease of monetary collection (Direct Debits, Tap&Go etc.).

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2021, 19:46   #15
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I attempted to pay my last parking fine in pennies at the local council office.

After counting and bagging the exact amount, I took the entire fine (£25) and emptied them onto their counter and insisted that it was recounted and that I was issued with a receipt.

I was then quoted the Coinage act 1971, so I asked if it were permissible to pay by cheque, to which I told it was.

So I returned later on in the day with a cheque that I had written on a 2'x3' flagstone, and as it had all of the prerequisites of a cheque as advised by my bank manager, there was nothing they could say about accepting it!

You can draw your own conclusions as to the level of aggrievement I felt at being issued with a fine for parking in the depths of winter in a deserted coastal car park five minutes before the end of the charging period.

Incidentally the cheque was cashed too, I bet that was a eye opener when it was presented

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2021, 22:18   #16
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Delighted to say that parking in Wellingborough, my local town is free, and plentiful, including a multi-storey, which has just been nicely refurbished. Much of the street parking is limited to an hour, but I never fail to find a space even so.

Long may it continue - having been a Councillor for the past 18 years I shall just have to make sure I get re-elected!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2021, 09:15   #17
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

There's a few more councils implementing CAZ's this year that were postponed because of the pandemic last year, Birmingham CAZ will start on 1st June & Bath starts from March 15th. https://www.commercialfleet.org/news...one-start-date

Bradford, Portsmouth, Newcastle, Gateshead & north Tyneside are due late 2021 & greater Manchester 2022.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2021, 10:35   #18
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
There's a few more councils implementing CAZ's this year that were postponed because of the pandemic last year, Birmingham CAZ will start on 1st June & Bath starts from March 15th. https://www.commercialfleet.org/news...one-start-date

Bradford, Portsmouth, Newcastle, Gateshead & north Tyneside are due late 2021 & greater Manchester 2022.
I guess there may be fewer city centre shops and a scorched earth high street by then anyway with nothing but tumbleweed travelling the roads, so perhaps this move will just exacerbate the situation. Ironic isn’t it that councils have invested heavily in city centre developments and without the centres thriving their investments will sink. The great unwashed will just head for the outskirts anyway.

Last edited by Lovel; 23rd January 2021 at 10:38..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2021, 10:47   #19
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
I guess there may be fewer city centre shops and a scorched earth high street by then anyway with nothing but tumbleweed travelling the roads, so perhaps this move will just exacerbate the situation. Ironic isn’t it that councils have invested heavily in city centre developments and without the centres thriving their investments will sink. The great unwashed will just head for the outskirts anyway.

The greater Manchester CAZ that was proposed last year because of the pandemic was akin to the Paris mayor Anne Hidalgo's getting rid of 70000 car park spaces in Paris
https://www.itsinternational.com/its...parking-spaces

They wanted to get rid of 90% of private car journeys into Manchester, It's still going through public consultation.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2021, 21:01   #20
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Just money making scams & It'll be interesting to see where all the money goes.

I would imagine people will just shop elsewhere anyway where there are no scam zones & parking is free.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote