Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th December 2020, 00:39   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Who's christmas is now cancelled?

Following todays announcement that we can only mix on Christmas day, who's Christmas has now been cancelled?

We were only going to meet with one couple this week but no one else over Christmas and no plans afterwards, we have had to cancel and we cancelled once during 2nd lockdown.

Wife is upset.

5 days was too long and I think may have led to to many instances of mixing and an increase in cases.

I'd like to think if I can meet one couple on the 25th, then I can meet them any day if they are the only ones we and they meet. Alas life is not like that. If it were a summers day we could meet outside as meeting outside still seems ok.

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 20th December 2020 at 17:12..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2020, 02:29   #2
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Mine's just gone out the window. I'd planned to go over to my son and his girlfriend on Christmas Eve and return on Boxing Day, but now the 'mixing' period has been cut to just Christmas Day it's just not worth a three hour round trip for what will effectively be half a day - especially as having to drive will put the kibosh on attacking any wine, sherry or beer that's looking to be liberated. Might as well be pragmatic though, as it's probably better to miss this Christmas rather than run the risk of not being around for any future Christmases.

This vehicle was born on Wednesday June 4th 2003 @ 08:24:38
This vehicle was the 73,905th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,862nd 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
This vehicle was the 6,856th 75 in Wedgewood Blue to be made out of 7,515 Wedgewood Blue 75s
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2020, 06:55   #3
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

We were hoping to spend Christmas with my daughter, son in law and my wee granddaughter Poppy who live near Hull.
I would have driven the 5 hours there and and 5 hours back on Christmas day just to see them but it's not to be. God willing there will be other years and we will all be together at some point. When the First Minister announced that cross border travel would be prevented we were all disappointed but it's for the greater good. Let's be honest, no political leader would do this without a valid reason. I've no time for the fools who bang on about conspiracy theories - this is real. It's devastating lives on many different levels.

Whatever you do or had planned over Christmas, keep safe.
As our First Minister has said on many occasions, although we are living through this one day WE WILL look back on COVID.
Keep safe
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2020, 07:37   #4
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Likewise, I'm not mixing, sole occupant of my household, was to be going to my daughter's, staying over, invited to the ex's for Christmas dinner. Phoned them last evening to cancel 'cos I'm now in a tier 4 area. Got to cancel the hire car this morning. Just ordered flowers for them as I won't be spending the cash on fuel.

I go with the comments that the Government are not playing by Grinch rules, it's for a reason.

A few years back we had a family get together (camping) and we are talking of a repeat hopefully in the summer after restrictions are lifted.

Last edited by planenut; 20th December 2020 at 07:43..
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2020, 08:40   #5
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

It doesn't make any difference to us as it's normally only myself and my wife, it's missing out on the run up to Christmas I miss with folks from other classic car groups that we're in, missed out on a least 3 different get togethers.

Tbh honest when I heard about the relaxation of rule for 5 days over Christmas I thought it was utter madness, especially when I see the way some folk behave round here and all over the country. Covid can be beaten but we've all got to strong and sing from the same hymn sheet, it'll be hard and painful but it's the only way otherwise 2021 will be like 2020.
Sorry to be so gloomy before Christmas, however, enjoy the "day" as best you can.

Martyn.
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2020, 08:41   #6
Steamdrivenandy
Avid contributor

Thinking on

It's a bit weird that this year we'll be three on Christmas day, when it was just me and Mrs SDA last year. We'll have Mrs SDA's best friend with us. Last year she'd just had stem cell treatment and couldn't go anywhere. This year we're 'bubbled' with her.

Our daughter is separated from her husband and they spend the day together with our grandson. Last year our son's fiance drew the short straw and was working (food safety lab technician) so they stayed home. This year they're staying safe at home.

We have no other close family to draw into a Christmas group, so all the angst about 'lost Christmases' is sort of passing us by.
Steamdrivenandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2020, 08:45   #7
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

We usually have Mam round for Christmas dinner but we don't want to tempt passing owt on. I'm hoping there will be a shedload of frozen turkeys on offer at the supermarkets because everyone's cancelled Christmas dinner

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2020, 11:09   #8
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

We had already discussed this with the family and decided to stay tucked away on our own over Christmas.
It would be great to see the little ones in their homes on Xmas morning but we can still face time and chat with them all.
It's (hopefully) just this years festivities that folk will miss out on so not much in the grand scheme of life..
Bonus of pubs etc being closed is that it may just give our hard pressed emergency services a quieter than normal Christmas and new year.
Stay safe one and all
Old 20th December 2020, 11:16   #9
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

I've just seen Chris Rea doing a U-turn on the M25.

Never mind,only 371 more days to Christmas
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2020, 11:44   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Well this seems to be limited to what I wonder?

Apparently this new strain of the virus was identified in September, yet the decision to invent another level of panic was left until yesterday???

To say I was less than impressed to hear this news is an understatement, listening to the radio in the car the cringe fest that was the news announcement with the PM, and the glib statement from Chris Whitty about unpacking your bags had me in full on Tourettes mode

My daughter who was due to travel home on the train this evening, her household has been self isolating for the past two weeks following two negative swab tests to allow her and her housemate to travel home, their Christmas would appear bleak.

It was heartwrenching, this is of course repeated many million of times over across the country, and I wonder just how many people will actually adhere to the new restrictions imposed upon them, irrespective of the consequences?

Blooming marvellous really

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote