Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd July 2018, 09:28   #21
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Dan
So basically there is to forms of law one for us, and one for the traveller ? I am sure if you or I drove our car with no tax or insurance we would be dealt with, never mind the question of the damage cause by an accident.

I would still press this further contact your local MP and ask for his help with the police not taking action

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2018, 09:34   #22
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Another way to look at it is cost.

Damage caused, a few hundred pounds. Cost for the Police to do anything about it, potentially thousands.

Doesn't help the original poster but in this age of scarce Police resources I don't blame them for picking their fights.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2018, 09:52   #23
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post
Another way to look at it is cost.

Damage caused, a few hundred pounds. Cost for the Police to do anything about it, potentially thousands.

Doesn't help the original poster but in this age of scarce Police resources I don't blame them for picking their fights.
All very nice and sounds logical, but if you sort the "small" stuff like this then the rest does not happen as a consequence. Petty criminals become bolder, if they are not dealt with.

This is also society's problem. If we thought about how and who we are dealing with then we would say no to block paving by disreputable travellers, no to "here's £20 to clear my rubbish and dump it somewhere else" and no in general to the too easy cash in hand society. You need to pay that little extra to get things disposed of correctly or work done properly with accountability if something goes wrong.

Last edited by first-things-first; 2nd July 2018 at 09:59..
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:06   #24
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

A jokey pic , but unfortunately somewhat accurate ???

C
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:18   #25
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

This is not aimed at this particular case, as I don't have a clue what went on. So don't take this personally!

It basically takes two idiots to cause an accident, in most cases.

The idiot that causes the accident, and the other idiot that did not see it coming!
That is difficult to swallow, because most will say "I was in the right". And legally they might well be, but now they sit with the consequences.
Maybe better to be cautious even when in the right, especially if you are driving the lesser vehicle.

As my driving instructor told me, many years ago.
"Better to be alive for being cautious, than buried 9 feet under for being right!"
Many years of motor cycle driving has given me ample reasons to appreciate this advice.
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:53   #26
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
So....

Being involved in a collision which causes damage and loss without any insurance or road tax (or whatever it's called!) apparently isn't a matter for the Police.

So no laws have been broken then? These "offenses" do not appear in Court for a Judge to consider if any law has been broken any the appropriate punishment?

Erm......

Andy.
Can't argue with our legal system! I always thought it was the best in the world! .
So evidently there is no need for licence MOT,insurance etc as our police force will not get involved apparently unless there is an injury.!
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:50   #27
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
This is not aimed at this particular case, as I don't have a clue what went on. So don't take this personally!

It basically takes two idiots to cause an accident, in most cases.

The idiot that causes the accident, and the other idiot that did not see it coming!
That is difficult to swallow, because most will say "I was in the right". And legally they might well be, but now they sit with the consequences.
Maybe better to be cautious even when in the right, especially if you are driving the lesser vehicle.

As my driving instructor told me, many years ago.
"Better to be alive for being cautious, than buried 9 feet under for being right!"
Many years of motor cycle driving has given me ample reasons to appreciate this advice.

Couldn't agree more with the above. As I found out through personal experience: you can take signage, white lines, arrows on the road, and anything else directing traffic and completely ignore it, especially on a roundabout. Whatever the highway code might say - forget it. If you're in a collision on a roundabout everyone involved is partly to blame in the eyes of our traffic law system (as it's practically applied).

No insurance, tax or MOT is a straightforward motoring offence though and if presented with a report the police should act.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2018, 20:59   #28
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT number 1 of 25 celestial!!

Just to update in this, I managed to track down a Wedgewood 75 this morning in Stoke on Trent, so after a 160 mile round trip and a couple of hours work, the car is back to how it was before the prang.
We also went to the police station this morning to give a statement about my daughters incident yesterday, the person dealing with the statement was a retired copper now working as a civilian doing admin duties. He said he's disgusted with the way travellers get treated by the law, but unfortunately the police have to work within the law, and until the law is changed to protect the victim rather than the criminals, these things are going to carry on. He encouraged us to make a complaint about the way the police handled the incident.
Fortunately, around 2 hours ago after another visit from the police, the travellers have moved out of the field and left the area. They'll no doubt move onto another community and devastate it and the residents though.
As for my accident yesterday, I drive very cautiously and am generally aware of everything around me, due to 20 years of riding bikes also. I guess I perhaps could've been a little more cautious and held back a bit more on the roundabout, but it was a two lane road, he was completely in the lane to turn left, and I was in the lane to turn right. I'd actually started to go past him as I went round, when he just accelerated and turned right and cut right in front of me. Not really much I could've done to avoid him. It's all sorted now though, and it's just given me a wake-up call to be even more observant on the roads!
Dansrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2018, 22:44   #29
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansrockin View Post
I agree, there are two types of travellers, there are the proper ones who keep themselves to themselves, don't outstay their welcome, leave an area the way they found it, and generally try to keep out of the limelight. Then there are the ones that we always seem to get round here. Dirty, thieving scum who have absolutely no care for anyone or anything that isn't theirs. Last week there were reports of traveller kids threatening little kids with knives in the local park, dog walkers being threatened with guns, and the dogs being forceably taken, cars bring broken into, toilet waste being dumped on the roadside, numerous fences being broken down and burnt, fights breaking out in the local pub, shoplifting, and numerous car accidents involving uninsured vans. The kids that shot at my daughter today matched the description of the ones that were in the park last week with knives.
However, because they're on private land, there's nothing that can be done. The landowner has been threatened in the past when he tried to move them on, so now whenever they turn up he has nothing to do with it. The police just don't seem interested. I waited 7 hours tonight after reporting the shooting incident, before getting told that they probably wouldn't get to us tonight as they've been very busy! I've now got to go to the station in the morning with my daughter to make a statement. If shooting at two 14 year old girls isn't a priority, then the law in this country really has gone up the spout! Considering the gun and knife issues that other parts of the country are having at the minute, you'd think that violent armed crime would be something the police would be pretty hot on at the minute, but because they're travellers, they seem to be outside the law. I wonder if I got hold of a shotgun and went over to the camp and let rip tonight, how long it would be before I was arrested!
Sorry but your problem is you do not understand how these people work. We had about 5/6 caravans park on land near us and there was ‘stuff’ disappearing overnight. Around ten of us dolled ourselves up so not to be recognised, and went to the site at I think around 1.00 am banged on the doors of the caravans and shouted that if they were not gone by 6.00 pm that night, they would be firebombed. We left two bottles full of water on the floor by the caravans, with wicks hanging out. They were gone by 3.00 pm that day. Sorry but you have to meet fire with bigger fire. Please don’t waste your time telling me I was a naughty lad. You have to protect your own. And guess what......................................they have not been back. Moral:- do nothing you get nothing. People today are to cowardly to do anything but moan and post on a similar effort to what I am on now. Until people get up off their hind legs and do something themselves, it will continue to get worse. And police are a waste of time, and I have also told our local police that.
Old 2nd July 2018, 22:55   #30
Stickman
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon

Travellers imho are akin to rats 🐀
Should be treated as such
If they were forcibly castrated at birth
Thus stopping the forced inbreeding
We’d be rid of the problem relatively quickly
Regards
Chris
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote