Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd April 2024, 14:47   #1
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Default Oil in spark plug tube, V6

Changing plugs on my 56k mile car, engine perfect when last run a couple of years back, found the centre rear plug tube in the head half full of oil, I think engine oil or possibly stale thickened brake fluid. No sign of leakage from the cam cover.
Thoughts please? My only idea is leakage via the plug threads if plug not fully tightened, but this much oil?

Obviously I’ll have to soak up as much as I can before removing the old plug
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2024, 15:08   #2
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

From the smell and texture of the fluid on the tissue or whatever you clean up with, you should be able to tell if its oil or whatever. Oil probably, after a good length of time not drying out. If the plugs were not loose then doubtful its from the cylinder. More likely caused by a spill , from topping up the oil / filling from the side of the car ,not the front. In fact from anywhere ..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2024, 10:41   #3
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
From the smell and texture of the fluid on the tissue or whatever you clean up with, you should be able to tell if its oil or whatever. Oil probably, after a good length of time not drying out. If the plugs were not loose then doubtful its from the cylinder. More likely caused by a spill , from topping up the oil / filling from the side of the car ,not the front. In fact from anywhere ..

I'm now of the opinion it is from the cylinders over many years since the plugs were changed, being platinum point Bosch ones I assume they are not the originals. Several other showed similar oil staining around the base of the plugs. I guess they were inadequately tightened.

Now replaced with standard Denso type from DMGRS, hand tightened by feel, theads coated with a smidgen of copperslip. I understand there is a difference of opinion over the use of a copper grease here; I'd welcome the debate though it's too late for this engine!
Old 6th April 2024, 11:56   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
Now replaced with standard Denso type from DMGRS, hand tightened by feel ...
If you want to eliminate any doubt Mike, the torque for the sparking plugs is 25 Nm.

Simon
Old 8th April 2024, 14:56   #5
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
If you want to eliminate any doubt Mike, the torque for the sparking plugs is 25 Nm.

Simon

Thanks Simon. however already fitted with manifold on, just waiting for reconditioned vis motors before an engine test.
then three suspension springs, windscreen, sill patch before an mot. After that refit the entire interior (apart from front seats) which has been stripped out to deal with water ingress, still not entirely solved at the front.