Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st February 2018, 22:51   #1
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Default Where to buy...

So it seems I'm in need of a new alternator for my diesel, but I've been told there are 3 pin and 2 pin variants? I pulled the little connector off the back of the alternator, and theres 3 holes, but only 2 have anything in, so assumed that this meant it was a 2 pin, then someone else said they all only have 2 pins in the connector but that some have 3 wires. As the wires are in some sort of cover I can't really see how many there are, so anyone got any ideas how I'm supposed to know what I need. Also, rimmers don't list any differences for diesel alternators, just got this aftermarket 120amp one: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-YLE000261P

or this 'genuine MG-Rover' one https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-YLE000261

Am I ok to assume these will both fit? Any preferences on which to go for. I'd rather fit a complete new alternator rather than fit the new regulator or whatever and hope that fixes it.

While I'm at it I'm now considering doing the crank pulley and belts at the same time, was looking at the Corteco one on DMGRS, but that's a bit pricey for me so will probably go with the £100 option instead, but to do that I'll then need to get an impact wrench to get the old pulley off. So far my preferred one is a clarke mains powered one from machine mart, initially looked at a pneumatic impact wrench from screwfix, but it says it needs something like 6.5cfm and my compressor is only 2.7cfm so not up to it. Shame as it's half the price of the clarke.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 00:28   #2
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Can't help you with the alternator but, I do have the Clarke mains powered impact wrench. A great bit of kit that has never failed to undo anything on my cars including rear hub nuts on my ZTT and the crank pulley bolt on my MGF.
It's the sort of tool that doesn't get used a lot but, you'll be glad you have one when the occasions arise

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 07:10   #3
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

A new 2-pin alternator will fit and function even if the original has 3 pins. If you wish to find out whether your original is 2 or 3 pin, look at the socket on the end of the alternator and count the number of spade connectors in the socket.

With your linked alternators, I suspect tthe "genuine" item is an X-part imported Chinese item as opposed to an original Rover item which was a Valeo. It is too cheap to be a Valeo.

My preference is always to get the current alternator rebuilt with new regulator, brushes, rotor and bearings. It cost me £105 to have the CDT item rebuilt in Ipswich 2 years ago.

If you are having charging problems, it may just be the regulator which can be replaced with the alternator in-situ. But, depending on the mileage, the slip rings could also be worn. If replacing just the regulator, a 3-pin has to be replaced with another 3-pin and a 2-pin for a 2-pin.

If I was buying a new one, I would buy a new Valeo or Bosch 2-pin alternator from Carparts4less. Cost will be around £190 with their weekend discounts.

Last edited by MSS; 22nd February 2018 at 07:24..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 10:00   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

there is a how to about refurbishing alternators, is it worth looking at this option?
cant find the link but this one may be of help
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=199608

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 10:34   #5
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
there is a how to about refurbishing alternators, is it worth looking at this option?
cant find the link but this one may be of help
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=199608

macafee2
Thanks but I need to be able to get it sorted ASAP, haven't got the time to try and refurbish mine. I've ordered a new one now, should be delivered tomorrow, so I can do it over the weekend. Now I just need to decide if I can do the crank pulley etc at the same time, or if that's got to wait.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote