Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th May 2009, 16:11   #1
mayor
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi

Default Clutch Pedal Switch -how it works

Having trouble with CC and I have managed to take off the Clutch Switch. I am not sure how it works. I assume the magnets attract the pedal stop and make contact and the switch is normally closed. I have tried to test the switch by placing near or on a steel surface and testing with a meter on the connections but I get a resistance of about 1.4 Ohms and no difference when I take it away from metal. I notice its a two pole switch but there are only three wires on of which is a ground. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to the working of these switches. Meanwhile I am trying to source a new switch-thanks
mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 18:53   #2
Departed
Retired

--

It's an active switch. So it needs power and ground, then an output.

The magnet doesn't attract the metal of the pedal, the metal part of the pedal changes the characteristic of the magnetic field which activates a hall sensor this drives the output.

there are two types of switch. Single and dual pole.

The single pole has an output that switches to ground when operated. This feeds the light switch module to drive the brake lamps on a non cruise car, and is used on the clutch to feed the cruise ECU on a manual cruise car.

The double pole is used on the brake on cruise cars. It has the same switched to ground output for the light switch module for brakes, plus a second that switches to 12v for the cruise ECU.

Hope this explains it OK.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 21:41   #3
mayor
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi

Hi thanks for the info I thought it was a simple magnetic switch and it looks that it's not easy to test.
mayor is offline   Reply With Quote