Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th May 2009, 20:01   #1
m_r_shaw
Regular poster

MG ZT CDTI

Default Any advice...?

Hi guys , my names Mike, and I'm new to the forum.
I was recommended from someone over on mg-rover.org.
Anyway, I have recently bought a 5 year old 90,000 mile FRSH MGZT CDTI (BMW ENGINE) 53 reg, which I found excellent value for £2300, I got a car that 5yrs old with an impressive spec, aggressive styling and road presence, and an incredibly torquy engine.
But in the last few weeks, it's started to develope a problem, and it's become much worse this week. It satrted off a few weeks back, with a distinct lack of power when under hard acceleration (as opposed to the rapidness it usually gives), almost as if it wasnt fitted with a turbo? it was just like stepping back 15 years to having a slow diesel!!!!!!! Also, from time to time, the tick-over would be a bit lumpy.
But at the time, never gave it any thought, also the lack of power thing was intermittant??
Fast forward to the end of last week, and I notced the car was very very lumpy upon start up (including one morning, where it cut out 3 times before it finally started upon the 4th attempt. The lack of power seems to have gone completly now, and it goes like stink again, but, upon start up, it's lumpy as hell, with lots of blue smoke, once warm, it's tick-over is ok, but whilst driving down the motorway, it'll jerk slightly followed by a ploom of black sooty smoke, as well as a noticable increase in fuel consumption. (usually, i'll fill the car, and get 600+ miles before refuelling. I do a 70 mile round trip aper day to work, and mostly use the M-ways where i'll stay at a steady 60 - 70 mph). But since filling up on Sunday, the car has only done about 230 miles, and now I'm down to just above a quarter of a tank!!!!!!!! A work collegue was behind me yesterday on the M6 / M62, and he said there was a constant stream of black smoke coming out the exhaust, followed by the plooms every few hundred yards or so. The car still drives fine, apart from every so often, it'll mis-fire for a few seconds. Also, when stood at the back of the car, you can smell the unburnt diesel. Someone on mg-rover.org suggested it's over-fuelling? I guess this would make sense with the amount of fuel it's gone through this week. I've got a bad feeling the fuel pump's on it's last legs???
I did train as a mechanic when I left school 16 years ago, but have been out the trade for over ten years so modern cars (especially diesels) are a mystery to me!
Any help would be greatly apprieciated.
I'll check back later, as I've got to go out for a while.
Cheers, Mike

Last edited by m_r_shaw; 20th May 2009 at 20:04..
m_r_shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 20:02   #2
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

pump, maf, blocked pcv- do a bit of searching
Old 20th May 2009, 20:31   #3
caravan
Regular poster

mg zt saloon cdti

Smile Poor Performance

Hi To the forum, when was it last serviced?? as black olive says i would agree with him start here first, change PCV filter,Air filter,fuel filter, if no improvement then we can start looking at things like MAF sensors ect, whats your location it sounds that you are not to far from me?? i live in bradford if i can help out i will do!! steve.
caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 21:45   #4
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_r_shaw View Post
Hi guys , my names Mike, and I'm new to the forum.
I was recommended from someone over on mg-rover.org.
Anyway, I have recently bought a 5 year old 90,000 mile FRSH MGZT CDTI (BMW ENGINE) 53 reg, which I found excellent value for £2300, I got a car that 5yrs old with an impressive spec, aggressive styling and road presence, and an incredibly torquy engine.
But in the last few weeks, it's started to develope a problem, and it's become much worse this week. It satrted off a few weeks back, with a distinct lack of power when under hard acceleration (as opposed to the rapidness it usually gives), almost as if it wasnt fitted with a turbo? it was just like stepping back 15 years to having a slow diesel!!!!!!! Also, from time to time, the tick-over would be a bit lumpy.
But at the time, never gave it any thought, also the lack of power thing was intermittant??
Fast forward to the end of last week, and I notced the car was very very lumpy upon start up (including one morning, where it cut out 3 times before it finally started upon the 4th attempt. The lack of power seems to have gone completly now, and it goes like stink again, but, upon start up, it's lumpy as hell, with lots of blue smoke, once warm, it's tick-over is ok, but whilst driving down the motorway, it'll jerk slightly followed by a ploom of black sooty smoke, as well as a noticable increase in fuel consumption. (usually, i'll fill the car, and get 600+ miles before refuelling. I do a 70 mile round trip aper day to work, and mostly use the M-ways where i'll stay at a steady 60 - 70 mph). But since filling up on Sunday, the car has only done about 230 miles, and now I'm down to just above a quarter of a tank!!!!!!!! A work collegue was behind me yesterday on the M6 / M62, and he said there was a constant stream of black smoke coming out the exhaust, followed by the plooms every few hundred yards or so. The car still drives fine, apart from every so often, it'll mis-fire for a few seconds. Also, when stood at the back of the car, you can smell the unburnt diesel. Someone on mg-rover.org suggested it's over-fuelling? I guess this would make sense with the amount of fuel it's gone through this week. I've got a bad feeling the fuel pump's on it's last legs???
I did train as a mechanic when I left school 16 years ago, but have been out the trade for over ten years so modern cars (especially diesels) are a mystery to me!
Any help would be greatly apprieciated.
I'll check back later, as I've got to go out for a while.
Cheers, Mike
welcome tothe club.
first things first. have you actually checked your air filter?