Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd July 2017, 00:22   #21
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Personally I've never seen the point of a motorhome, unless you're going on a big tour and moving on everyday. Otherwise, as said, you need to tow a 2nd vehicle behind, which apart from costing a fortune, would be impossible for me as a motorhome big enough for the 5 of us would most likely weigh over the 3500kg my license allows me to drive, and even if it didn't, I would't be able to tow a big enough car behind as well...

Not long now until we find out just how bad it is, will be getting used 28th July, and still need to get the towbar fitted. Out of 7 companies contacted, 1 doesn't do it anymore, 1 quoted £170 to fit the towbar I supply, and wire in a 13 pin socket with appropriate relays, the other 5 didn't bother replying!
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 08:51   #22
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
Personally I've never seen the point of a motorhome, unless you're going on a big tour and moving on everyday. Otherwise, as said, you need to tow a 2nd vehicle behind, which apart from costing a fortune, would be impossible for me as a motorhome big enough for the 5 of us would most likely weigh over the 3500kg my license allows me to drive, and even if it didn't, I would't be able to tow a big enough car behind as well...

Not long now until we find out just how bad it is, will be getting used 28th July, and still need to get the towbar fitted. Out of 7 companies contacted, 1 doesn't do it anymore, 1 quoted £170 to fit the towbar I supply, and wire in a 13 pin socket with appropriate relays, the other 5 didn't bother replying!
The 75's towbar, is by far the easiest I have ever fitted in 50 years. Bumper off in five minutes and it just simply bolts in place, no drilling involved at all, just nuts, bolts and reinforcing plates.

The early towbar industry relied upon fabricating heavy angle brackets and a lot of guesswork - on the 75 it is all done for you, just basic Mechano skills needed.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 2nd July 2017 at 08:53..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 21:49   #23
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Do it yourself, as Harry says its a doddle, remove bumper cover, then crash bar and retain the bolts, but make sure you get under the bumper and give them a clean as best you can ,with a wire brush, not much room to do it, and spray with copious amounts of penetrating oil , a few days prior to doing the job. If you don't , the bolts have a tendency to snap, unless you work them back and forward for about half an hour a time.
Once crash bar is removed, the crossbar of the tow bracket replaces it, and the bolts fit in the pre drilled holes,,straight back into the body where they're removed from. there will need to be a hole drilled in the rear of spare wheel well for the cables, if there isn't a grommet there already. The plate on centre of crossbar sandwiches the rear central towing eye, there are two pre drilled holes in the chassis rails, which also go into the boot floor, bolts go down over through boot and chassis, re enforcing plate on first , then nuts and washers. bumper cover back on, then just towball to bolt on, and wiring to do. If you do all that, it will only cost you for the electrical work, which should only be an hour tops.
Old 3rd July 2017, 21:07   #24
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Thanks both, I did go out to the garage Saturday to do it, and I found a 'how to' on this forum, but when I got out there I just couldn't face it. As easy as I'm sure it is, I can't afford to not get it all done in 1 go as it's my only transport at the moment, so need it for work. So I have got it booked to be done on Friday morning.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote