Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th June 2017, 05:43   #21
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

I just look at it from the point of the driver who was hit from behind. I have often commented on how some drivers - usually young ones - drive far too close - tailgating in other words.
I mean no offence but how the hell can anyone roll into the car in front and expect to get away with it?
If it was one of our cars - £500 of damage would probably see it being written off!!

I would suggest that this is an expensive lesson learned (hopefully) - simple rules of the road such as "only a fool breaks the two second rule" when driving and "Tyres on tarmac" when pulling up in a traffic queue would have prevented this.

The cost increase is directly proportional to the increased risk the insurer now feels it has to cover due to the drivers poor standard of driving.

This is not a scam it is a very real lesson learned.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 05:49   #22
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

I rolled back into a car a few years ago. Only lightly but enough to notice. I got out looked at the other persons car and there was no damage. The other person got out of the car and i said "what the hell are you doing bumping into me like that?" The other driver apologised and said "Im so sorry ive only just bought the car and Im not used to it yet!".
I said "dont worry just be a little more careful next time" and went on my way.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 07:23   #23
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
I rolled back into a car a few years ago. Only lightly but enough to notice. I got out looked at the other persons car and there was no damage. The other person got out of the car and i said "what the hell are you doing bumping into me like that?" The other driver apologised and said "Im so sorry ive only just bought the car and Im not used to it yet!".
I said "dont worry just be a little more careful next time" and went on my way.
That was a few years ago .... now it all about the compensation culture ...
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 07:25   #24
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

Sounds like a case of the RR driver taking advantage of the Scooby driver not taking close up photos and a video at the time.
Old 29th June 2017, 08:45   #25
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpwater View Post
He tried to do this but they wouldn't have it, they said that the PCP contract specified that it had to go to the approved repairer. That's why its a scam
It's no scam.... simply the rules, one way of stopping cheap and not so cheerful repair jobs.
We are all having to pay more for insurance mine has gone from £150 to £196 20 years NCB and 63 years old
Old 29th June 2017, 09:21   #26
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I wouldn't call it an insurance scam either i'm afraid. The owners of the vehicle want any damage put right at an approved repair shop to maintain the best possible resale value. I have read stories many many times where people have had smart repairs done but they are visible when you look closely. Any damage or repair that a trained eye could spot could knock £000's off the resale value.

As a driving instructor for many years, I know only too well that what may appear to be "just a small scratch" on the surface can turn out to be far worse underneath simply because cars have crumple zones to absorb impacts, In other words they are very soft on the extremities.

I recall once, my car was bumped while out on test. There wasn't even a scratch. I had it checked out and it turned out that the crumple zone had crumpled, the boot floor was actually creased when you lifted the carpet.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote