Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd July 2017, 19:22   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb750chris View Post
I fitted a wireless reversing camera to the van, put the transmitter in the front under seat locker, and put the wireless receiver in the boot of the car. Makes reversing so much easier
Only problem is, for some reason I always get the pretty square on the pitch markers with the centre of the caravan, so end up having to pull forward and try again because the marker post is supposed to be at the corner of the van.... One day I will learn to aim for the right point (or take my own marker to aim for )
what system did you get?
Even if you can see where you are going reversing a trailer is an art. Trips to the tip with a 6x4 trailer is where I learnt. I'm no expert and have had some real and I mean real rubbish reverses with the trailer. I take it as a challenge.

Bloke next to me is an ex HGV driver actually complimented me on the reverse... and I didn't think anyone was watching. That made my day

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 13:51   #12
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Ian,
sorry, it wasn't a kit. It was a bit cobbled together - a reversing camera that was lurking around the garage looking for a new friend. The a wireless transmit/receive set off ebay, and a bit of connecting cable, again off ebay - only thing I found was I needed the transmitter at the front of caravan, and receiver at back of car, so needed to install cabling the length of the caravan, and the car, so that the signal was good and reliable
Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 17:12   #13
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Hi Macafee
We have recently purchased a van (Adria ) and it's stored at the front of our house I may look for a motor mover as it's very hard to manoeuvre it into position due to the garden wall
Regards
Steve
You will not regret fitting one, if for no better reason than the saving in clutch wear. Over the past 50 years, my caravans have increased in size and weight, to the point where now - reversing into or pulling out forwards coupled up is just not possible, so I have to have and use a mover. Prior to that, I had a manual winch to pull the caravan up the drive, onto the level.

Always best though, to be able to reverse well with it coupled up, there might not be the time to uncouple and use the mover on the road. So I make a point of refreshing my skill often. We took a break for dinner on the way down here in a lorry/caravan parking area. As the area was empty, I parked at the far corner and nose in. Over the following two hours we became surrounded by artics. I wasn't about to uncouple to use the mover with all those HGV drivers around, so I just got Jean to watch the rear end as I reversed back out.

A mover also saves your car wheels digging themselves in on soft ground, but the jockey wheel needs to be watched for that can dig in using a mover. I have even seen a mover used when coupled up to the car, to pull out a bogged in car.

They also have great entertainment value, as neighbours and passers by watch your caravan moving via a tiny remote control.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 17:17   #14
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post

Odd thing is the longer the trailer the easier it is to manoeuvre, the short ones can go out of line fast.
Correct The longer the trailer in relation to the tug, the easier it is to reverse. Worst case is one of those tiny garden rubbish trailers on the back of a big car like the 75. You just cannot see what the trailer is doing, until it is way out of line.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 5th July 2017, 07:53   #15
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
They also have great entertainment value, as neighbours and passers by watch your caravan moving via a tiny remote control.
I am now imagining you hiding and moving the van randomly just to surprise passers by.
Wait for somebody to walk past, then move it a foot or similar

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 08:44   #16
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb750chris View Post
I am now imagining you hiding and moving the van randomly just to surprise passers by.
Wait for somebody to walk past, then move it a foot or similar

I was usually pretty much on my own with the trying to winch my then van up the drive and steer it - averse to the extra expense and loss of my load capacity when towing with a mover. My then partner was disabled and not able to help much at all. So this time around decided to bite the bullet and get one with a mover or fit one after purchase - it already had one fitted. Just a basic manual engage, none soft start type. Then I was offered an identical one for spares, by someone who was upgrading to more recent model. That is now in my shed as parts doner should it be needed.

Be aware if you fit one, the 120Kg weight of the mover has to be deducted from your caravan's loading capacity. I try to keep my load as light as possible, we take nothing which is not fairly essential. I had to point out to Jean that there were supermarkets where we were going, no need to load food supplies for the entire holiday . I also use the BP Light lightweight gas bottles to save weight.