Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th June 2017, 16:32   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Blind side reverse

On a caravan forum I belong to, a lot of people swear by the motor mover for their caravan, whilst they have their use I do believe in being able to reverse your trailer.

Recently arrived at a site to have the far end pitch. There is no room to drive forwards across the previous pitch if its in use or drive past the last pitch and reverse.

My solution, at the entrance to the site I turned left, got it fairly straight and then reversed to what was the right side of entrance. A bit snaky to start with but got it under control. 50 yard reverse and I got my wife to stand 8-10 ft inside our pitch but from the off side.
She became my marker to reverse around. My caravan off side wheel was less then 6 inches from the edge of the pitch

Why was no one watching?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 16:56   #2
anddyy
Avid contributor

mg zt 180+

I Know that feeling when you can sit there feeling smug at the great joy of pulling off one of the best reversing manoeuvres going to then realise that no one saw.

they all come out the woodwork to watch when it all goes wrong and your arguing with the other half cause she's stood in your blind spot shouting useless info out
anddyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 17:58   #3
ssizefive
I really should get out more.......

Mg Tf160

As someone who doesn't have anyone to assist i just take my time when reversing to the blind side & get out to go check - i have no interest what other people think. The hardest blind side reverse i have to do is where i keep the caravan in storage but same again, just take my time.

Steve.
ssizefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 18:01   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anddyy View Post
I Know that feeling when you can sit there feeling smug at the great joy of pulling off one of the best reversing manoeuvres going to then realise that no one saw.

they all come out the woodwork to watch when it all goes wrong and your arguing with the other half cause she's stood in your blind spot shouting useless info out
Earlier in the year I had to do a 3 point turn after missing a turn.
Reversed into the entrance to a field with a recessed gate. Road still not wide enough for 3 point so it became 6 point but still very pleased at not hitting the hedge, bank or gate with the back of the van.
Last week I had only the car, parallel parked between to vehicles, it was rubbish, took at least 3 attempts.

macafee2
Old 28th June 2017, 18:09   #5
ssizefive

Mg Tf160

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Earlier in the year I had to do a 3 point turn after missing a turn.
Reversed into the entrance to a field with a recessed gate. Road still not wide enough for 3 point so it became 6 point but still very pleased at not hitting the hedge, bank or gate with the back of the van.
Last week I had only the car, parallel parked between to vehicles, it was rubbish, took at least 3 attempts.

macafee2
Now there is a manoeuvre i struggle with - parallel parking, to be avoided if at all possible

Steve.
ssizefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 19:35   #6
bigd
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75

novice mind my car
bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2017, 08:10   #7
steveo

None

Default Mover

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
On a caravan forum I belong to, a lot of people swear by the motor mover for their caravan, whilst they have their use I do believe in being able to reverse your trailer.

Recently arrived at a site to have the far end pitch. There is no room to drive forwards across the previous pitch if its in use or drive past the last pitch and reverse.

My solution, at the entrance to the site I turned left, got it fairly straight and then reversed to what was the right side of entrance. A bit snaky to start with but got it under control. 50 yard reverse and I got my wife to stand 8-10 ft inside our pitch but from the off side.
She became my marker to reverse around. My caravan off side wheel was less then 6 inches from the edge of the pitch

Why was no one watching?

macafee2
Hi Macafee
We have recently purchased a van (Adria ) and it's stored at the front of our house I may look for a motor mover as it's very hard to manoeuvre it into position due to the garden wall
Regards
Steve
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2017, 10:34   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Hi Macafee
We have recently purchased a van (Adria ) and it's stored at the front of our house I may look for a motor mover as it's very hard to manoeuvre it into position due to the garden wall
Regards
Steve
we have a powrtouch evolution. It will engage and disengage remotely, you can et them where you have to operate a leaver to engage and disengage.
Not saying this is the best make bout one of the top 2 or 3. We use it for getting in and out of storage as we like a lot of people only have inches of spare room and a gravel drive and also when on site for helping when on a slope to line up the alko wheel lock.

A lot of money but I cant deny it makes life easier then manhandling a full loaded van on a slope.

macafee2
Old 3rd July 2017, 11:58   #9
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

I fitted a wireless reversing camera to the van, put the transmitter in the front under seat locker, and put the wireless receiver in the boot of the car. Makes reversing so much easier
Only problem is, for some reason I always get the pretty square on the pitch markers with the centre of the caravan, so end up having to pull forward and try again because the marker post is supposed to be at the corner of the van.... One day I will learn to aim for the right point (or take my own marker to aim for )

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 13:32   #10
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I know what you mean with reversing, fortunately I'm an old school ex HGV mechanic and never forgot how to reverse trailers. As young apprentices we used to show off a bit by reversing flat out right round the outside of the workshop. That was when the boss wasn't there of course.

Odd thing is the longer the trailer the easier it is to manoeuvre, the short ones can go out of line fast.

I do have a motor mover on my caravan but rarely use it on site but as the van needs to be very tight to my garden fence at home I always use the mover.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote