Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th March 2012, 12:25   #1
phunk3r

Rover 75

Default Litrometric failure, fix needed!!!

Dear all!

since about 1 year i have a problem with the fuel gauge... when i reach the last quarter of the gauge my car remains out of fuel and it stops... when a put some fuel is stars back with no problems... when put on the tester it gives me that the litrometric sensor have failed.

I have a 2.0 CDT Rover 75.

I spoke to a friend of mine who owns a breakage parts store and he provided me the litrometric from a gasoline fuel pump and he said that it will work just fine. i started mounting it, taking the contact piece and the flotor and instaling the on my own fuel pump... but still no success... he than said the there are two litrometric sensor in the fuel tank...

the question is, can anybody tell me where the second one is and how i can access it and maybe clean it?

thank you in advance.
phunk3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 13:14   #2
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

I think the sensor and floats are a part of the in tank fuel pump on the Mk1 diesel 75... Not sure about the mk2 though...
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 13:29   #3
courier118
Loves to post

MG ZT 190+

The fuel sensor is fitted to the fuel module which is located on the N/S (UK).The O/S (UK) is where the pump is located.The 2 assemblies are i assume are what your friend is referring to.The sensor is no longer available as a seperate item,part number XNB000020.
courier118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 13:57   #4
phunk3r

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by courier118 View Post
The fuel sensor is fitted to the fuel module which is located on the N/S (UK).The O/S (UK) is where the pump is located.The 2 assemblies are i assume are what your friend is referring to.The sensor is no longer available as a seperate item,part number XNB000020.
Can you please provide a picture of that sensor? google doesnt want to help me... the one that i replaced was accesible from behind the passenger seat, (left hand drive) behind the rear seat, and it was attached to the fuel pump, the flotor and a small piece of plastic with lots od contact-dials on it, is this the one you are talking about?

another issue is that, when i enter in the diagnostic mode at the fuel tank sensors, only the one on the right shows quantity, the other one shows nothing....

ooooh, and can you please translate N/S and O/S ?
thanks...

Last edited by phunk3r; 14th March 2012 at 14:01..
Old 14th March 2012, 14:14   #5
phunk3r

Rover 75

Dear ALL,

i attached pictures taken in diagnostic mode, showing the data from the sensors...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0637.jpg (136.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0638.jpg (138.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0639.jpg (137.3 KB, 32 views)
Old 14th March 2012, 14:40   #6
courier118
Loves to post

MG ZT 190+

The sensor is fitted to the fuel module,not the pump.The module on a RH drive UK model is behind the passenger seat.The pump is located behind the drivers seat.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001964
courier118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 15:11   #7
Singvogel
Gets stuck in

75 CDT, 1966 2000TC P6, TD4-M47

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk3r View Post
ooooh, and can you please translate N/S and O/S ?
thanks...
For your future reference -

Folks in the UK often refer to the N/S or the 'Near Side' meaning the left-hand side of the car if you are facing forwards.

Similarly the O/S refers to the 'Off-Side' meaning the right-hand side of the car.

Confusing if you have not met these terms before - it comes from living on an island which tends to do things differently from most of the rest of the world, particularly driving on the left side of the road!

Caio,

Singvogel.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 15:22   #8
phunk3r

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singvogel View Post
For your future reference -

Folks in the UK often refer to the N/S or the 'Near Side' meaning the left-hand side of the car if you are facing forwards.

Similarly the O/S refers to the 'Off-Side' meaning the right-hand side of the car.

Confusing if you have not met these terms before - it comes from living on an island which tends to do things differently from most of the rest of the world, particularly driving on the left side of the road!

Caio,

Singvogel.
Thank you very much, i appreciate you country, especially because it has produced one of the prettier car ever produced, the car i drive every day, the ROVER 75...

and regarding the subject, can you please check the pictures and tell me, if you know why it doesn't display anything in the secound picture? there the total amount of fuel should appear...
Old 14th March 2012, 15:46   #9
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk3r View Post
attached pictures taken in diagnostic mode, showing the data from the sensors...
In my experience using diagnostic mode, the details from Test 6 are meaningless. I wouldn't attempt to interpret what the display means.
As far as the fuel level sensors are concerned, there are two, one in each side of the tank. The in-tank pump module has a float arm and the 'Filter Adapter' module in the nearside also has one. They work independently and supply a voltage to the IPK. The IPG integrates this to provide a reading on the fuel gauge.

Here's an example.

The floats alter the resistance of a rheostat within the module and this controls the output voltage. The resistances vary linearly with the float level. If you use an ohm meter you can check the resistances. Doing this with a full and empty tank should tell if the floats are working properly.

The contacts are in the pump connector socket under the rear seat.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 7th January 2021 at 11:53.. Reason: Updated resistance info
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 21:23   #10
phunk3r

Rover 75

Dear T-CUT, can i measure those pins and see if the sensor is working fine? and do you know witch value means empty and witch full?

Thank you for all this tremendous information! i will go to my mechanic and check this out!