Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th March 2010, 16:15   #1
Joseph
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club Saloon Manual CDT

Default Smell of burning?

Ok this question isnt just "I smell burning" but its a weird type of burning, doesnt smell like any fuel, more like rubber or something similar?

Its my first car so I am afraid im not great with the clutch yet and I did notice the smell first when I was trying to reverse up a steep hill and was revving very high with the clutch just up a little (So the car was motionless).

Its a very strong smell and I can only smell it when I am outside the car. Today I smelt it when I got home although I had not damaged the clutch on that journey (Well, not that I know of).

Any advice? (Other than get better at clutch control)

Thanks, Joseph.

p.s. I did a quick check for another thread like this but couldnt find one, sorry if I missed it!

Last edited by Joseph; 12th March 2010 at 16:15.. Reason: Forgot something
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 16:21   #2
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Joseph, Lift the bonnet and see if the smell is stronger where the clutch is (between the engine and the gearbox).
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 16:25   #3
Joseph
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
Joseph, Lift the bonnet and see if the smell is stronger where the clutch is (between the engine and the gearbox).
Ok, I think I will be driving somewhere in a minute so I will try it after that (Also its raining here so I dont want to go outside yet)
Old 12th March 2010, 16:48   #4
mikey_32
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer 02 club se cdt remapped

Sounds like it is you slipping the clutch but something else to consider is after you've driven somewhere carefully touch each of your 4 wheels and check that you haven't got a brake caliper stuck/siezed
Old 12th March 2010, 17:53   #5
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Joseph, If your car is right you should be able to coordinate releasing the clutch with pressing the accelerator so it doesn't stall but the revs don't shoot up either. If this is difficult it may not be your fault. If your Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) is old and has deteriorated there won't be much torque at low revs so you may find you have to rev the engine and slip the clutch when pulling away. There are plenty of threads about MAFs on this forum and have a look at Rover Ron's tuning website.
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 18:05   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Off on a Tangent............
Always worry when people say they can smell burning Rubber, also a sign of a Brain Tumour.
Strange symptom or what?

Returning to thread,
Often the clutch.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 20:15   #7
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

Sounds like you are not using the clutch properly; it is not a torque converter like an auto box, and needs to be fully engaged as soon as possible when moving off, or it will not last long.

If it is not that, then it could be a sticking caliper piston - symptom is that the wheel by the caliper will heat up and be uncomfortable to the touch, even VERY HOT !!
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 20:42   #8
Departed
Retired

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Off on a Tangent............
Always worry when people say they can smell burning Rubber, also a sign of a Brain Tumour.
Strange symptom or what?

Returning to thread,
Often the clutch.
Now you have me worried. Had lots of instances over the last few months of horrible vaguely burning rubber with garlic like smells. Had convinced myself they were gas main leaks as they seem to be in the same place for a while, then new tarmac and they go and reappear a few days later somewhere else.

Maybe I'm kidding myself?
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 20:47   #9
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

The smell of burning rubber which no one else around you can smell is a well medical documented recognition of possible Brain tumour.

Never heard of it with garlic though.
If you have any doubts at all always seek proper medical advice asap.

Without worrying yourself I am sure there will be plenty on the Internet medical Forums etc re this,
but I personally if a problem would seek advice.
Doesn't sound like this with your description though.

I know only about this because of a colleague who always said about the smell then ended up in hospital with this diagnosis,
he was working perfectly normally etc.
The consultants at Barts said that this was a symptom of the condition, and did some further research.

Sorry for mini Hijack,
Returning to thread.............

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 12th March 2010 at 20:50..
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 07:41   #10
Joseph
Gets stuck in

Well i've started to get used to the clutch (Havent stalled for a few days, only had it a week) but I do find myself revving high to move, my lodger seems to do it alright without having to do this but that comes from him having years of driving exp, think it is me slipping, i'll check the car thogh too, just in case.

I opened the bonnet today after the half hour drive to work and there was a sudden smell of it and then it dissappeared. Couldnt isolate it, it dissappeared too quickly.

I will check the wheeles although at this point I think we can say its the clutch, my fault probably but will look at threads about the MAF, Thank you all for your help and hope none of you have a brain tumor! (But if you do, hope you find it sooner than later)