Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th May 2019, 11:30   #31
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Granted 100k is quite high for a 62 plate, however that suggests a motorway mileage car, so wear and tear should be no different to a lower mile town car surely?
Old 14th May 2019, 14:24   #32
timon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
French cars have always depreciated in value quickly, until French cars can improve their perception of quality, this will always continue.

Its the same reason to why so many here say they would never own a 'eurobox', many reasons are given and this will always continue until the perception has changed.

You certainly don't see many of the older French cars about these days, they seem to be the first to leave the UK roads after 8+ years, the quality and value just isn't there.

What about the Peugeot 206? They're everywhere.
timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 05:58   #33
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 View Post
Granted 100k is quite high for a 62 plate, however that suggests a motorway mileage car, so wear and tear should be no different to a lower mile town car surely?

Or a woman driver who liked shopping and went out on short shopping trips a lot!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 08:17   #34
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timon View Post
What about the Peugeot 206? They're everywhere.
Nope! I've not seen any of those, not for a long time, not even the original Renault Clio.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 16:05   #35
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I've never had a new car, never owned a car with 100,000 miles on the clock but will soon. Some people want a new car, a car never owned by anyone else. That's not where I want my money to go but I don't mind others buying new.
The depreciation new car suffer is amazing but I guess the owners don't "care" as they are probably aware of depreciation when they bought the car.

I think cars are better today then in the 70's and 80's and will last better.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 18:07   #36
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I've never had a new car, never owned a car with 100,000 miles on the clock but will soon. Some people want a new car, a car never owned by anyone else. That's not where I want my money to go but I don't mind others buying new.
The depreciation new car suffer is amazing but I guess the owners don't "care" as they are probably aware of depreciation when they bought the car.

I think cars are better today then in the 70's and 80's and will last better.

macafee2

They last much longer, they rust much less, they are much more reliable - but when they go wrong, they are much harder to fix.

Some people buy new with the intention of keeping for many years to get their value out of it, others just buy new just because they like to have the latest and most up to date car available - an awfully expensive way and probably the best used cars to buy when the owner becomes bored with it.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 18:23   #37
respace
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Lots of differing issues within the thread, 100k is not the end of the road for cars these days, quite often it has been the start of my ownership, back in the 70s many didn't make it that far.
I've bought several with over 100k on the clock and gone on to 400k with some, what is limiting their life span is the complicated electronics on them which are impossible for the layman to fix. I have a VW T5 van which is far more sophisticated than my T4 that preceded it but far more difficult/ expensive to fix.I now do about average mileage in all my (4) vehicles, 12 mths MOT and service on the van cost £1500 this year, the same on the Rover was £255!
respace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 18:27   #38
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Andrew, I've pulled the fuel figures for my own hack 214, with 398,430 miles on the clock.......................................

Are you sitting down?

£32873 over the space of ten years of service, however by the same token, as I was charging my business mileage out at 40 pence per mile...................

The total gross income over ten years of that particular vehicle...............

£1484084

So I think it's fair to say, the car paid for itself quite well don't you agree?

Brian
I wish I could still deduct 40p a mile from my taxable income as an agency worker. Some weeks I paid no tax. Now I can only claim it for travelling between places of work, not home to work, which is often 50miles or more. Last year's fuel costs in the Rover was around £2,800 out of my taxed income so around £3,700 out of gross. Still, for London commuters, what does a rail card cost? Shouldn't grumble, should I, travelling, in total comfort where I want, when I want, never had to suffer a replacement bus service? Perhaps I'm feeling more positive about the Rover now I've got the gearbox back in. Perhaps I should reserve final judgement when it's all back together and I've driven it!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 19:01   #39
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

It is 40p only for the first 10k miles though, after that it drops to 25p per mile. I used to do over 30k miles a year on business.

For me it makes more sense to run my own car than a company one - the days of that being worthwhile are long gone.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 06:28   #40
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by respace View Post
what is limiting their life span is the complicated electronics on them which are impossible for the layman to fix.
So true, I was speaking to an owner of a fleet of small French vans that he lets his employees use. All of them bar one that have been scrapped is because of Electronic issue's. The main problem he was telling me is the ECU and body control is all in one unit and when it goes wrong the only way to get it going is to replace everything on the car with a matched set as all the electronics are married together and once married at the factory cannot be divorced. A new virgin unit from Citroen is nearly £1500 and £400 to fit and program it by the dealer. Even the wiper motor and clock are married to the ECU

He reckons they are programmed to fail at about 120k miles because all of the ones he has scrapped seem to have that mileage on them.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote