Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th November 2020, 20:55   #11
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

A year ago my wife and I both in our early seventies upped sticks and moved to North Wales. I joined the local angling club and also a fell running club and recently won a trophy in a 17 mile fell race. I recognise that good health is a deciding factor but I feel its never to late to take on new challenges. When I was working, 25 years in the Prison service I constantly dreamt of retirement, and I love it, I enjoy getting up in the morning knowing that every day belongs to me to use as I see fit.
Westonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2020, 21:01   #12
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
When my time comes I want it quick, I don't want to see the lights going out.

macafee2
Agree, just not today
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2020, 21:22   #13
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

I retired at 68, Dawn was still working at 70 until she got made redundant, three years ago we decided on the spur of the moment to up sticks from the rat race of Surrey and move up to the East Midlands, it was the best thing we ever did, we moved to a small village just outside of Nottingham, ten minute walk into the village, bus into Nottingham every ten minutes, only now ever use the car to visit a garden centre or go for a main shop.
Being 78 life is so sweet at the moment other than Covid, we are so happy and have got everything we need.

Rev.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2020, 23:52   #14
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Is there enough life after retirement?Macafee2
If the pension actuaries are worth their salt then most will die before or not very long after. More so re the UK state pension because it is a Ponzi scheme ... which both the expenses fiddlers and the non-jobbers are ever so keen to portray as a benefit regardless of a person's contributions. Hmmm?
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2020, 07:25   #15
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,979 Posts

I retired 12 years ago at 56

I was lucky to have recieved a "final salary" pension after 40 years service with the company I worked for.

I have not done a paid job since,I am as well off as I have ever been, and lucky enough to keep in good health.

My motto is live every day happy, and if you want anything and have the funds, buy it, and enjoy it.

We have several holidays a year in our caravan, which we enjoy

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song
All the happiness that used to be

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose
And in dreams, you're always near to me

I'll see you in my dreams
And then I'll hold you in my dreams

Last edited by Georgies Dad; 8th November 2020 at 10:28..
Georgies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2020, 07:37   #16
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

I retired at 51, shortly after I started a small business wedding cars and limo hire.
After a couple of years I was totally fed up with it all coming to the conclusion it just wasn't worth all the hassle for a small profit.
I sold up, and since then I have been able to do what I want to do, when I want to do it, not to mention the annual self assessment tax returns, as complicated a process as anyone could dread.

I have my fixed income. Not a fortune by any means, but it's there every month without having to sweat for it. I know I have more coming in, than going out, meaning I have a small leeway.

My time is precious, the less hassle I have, the better.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2020, 08:11   #17
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

It seems those of us that have retired are enjoying retirement.
My daughter at 28 has plans in place for early retirement, my son at 26 does not.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2020, 13:05   #18
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

I didn’t retire until I was 69, by choice initially, as I enjoyed my job, meeting lots of lovely clients, but internal politics changed things (I was a co-founder, but 3 directors meant I had a minority shareholding), so was looking for a way out during the last 2 years.

Sold my shares, never looked back. That was over 4 years ago, and it’s only been in the last few weeks that I’ve had to look for something to do each day. Because of the restrictions, the charity I volunteered at in the workshop has had to suspend everything, the band I play bass guitar in obviously can’t meet, can’t spend time with the grandkids etc etc.

But we are both healthy, taking daily walks, so really, I couldn’t be in a better place.

Julien, you probably pass my mother in law’s place as you walk into the village, she’s on Orford Avenue.

Malcolm
Old 8th November 2020, 13:18   #19
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

I retired 18.5 years ago, they asked if I wanted to stay on, I laughed and could not escape fast enough. Grandfather died aged 55, father died aged 67 so I am winning hands down.

Never at a loss for something to do and best of all, at 84 I still drive a Rover.
KWIL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2020, 14:57   #20
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

With things as they have been I feel like I have partially retired this year. At first I was worried I would get bored but far from it. Luckily the wife has managed to pick up some extra hours working from home so all the bills get paid but I feel guilty working one or two days a week and she is working 5 full days and some extra hours overtime at weekends and evening.

On a positive I have managed to get most of the odd jobs done on the cars and around the house. This week I will be redecorating the hall and landing.

There is something odd about not having to set the alarm clock most days and having a cup of tea before getting up but I could get used to it.

One thing I wont be doing is sitting in a chair waiting to die, I have seen it so often. Some oldens seem to think once they stop work there life is over.

I hope once I retire properly I will have the money I need to do everything I want to do but the way the economy will suffer after Covid makes me wonder what will happen.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote