Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st June 2021, 20:10   #1
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Default Can someone confirm my thoughts?

So hopefully at the link below is a video of how my car sounded when I got home from work today. When I started for work this morning it wasn't sounding right, not a knocking just a bit of an odd whirring/whining. Same when I left work this evening, then sounded like this by the time I got home?
I'm thinking its the crankshaft pulley, any other thoughts?

If I'm correct, and it is the crankshaft pulley, can anyone recommend a decent one that's not hugely expensive, I know the correct are the ones to get, but I can't stretch to that right now. Been a heavy month and the next couple of months will be the same, so need to try and not spend too much.

Thanks for any help.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2021, 00:20   #2
bsafly
Just going about!

Rover 75 CDTi Connie SE Tourer starlight silver and serpents. MG ZT-T 190+ in Raven Black.

I can’t see a link to click on.
(Or is it just me?).
bsafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2021, 07:02   #3
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

No, not just you, no link
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2021, 07:55   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Before buying a new crankshaft pulley take off the auxiliary belts and check all the pulleys for play and roughness.
A failing water pump can sound very similar to a failing crankshaft pulley.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2021, 18:22   #5
Pauldee
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Mine gave up on a business trip to Oxford

Had mine changed today. Started off with a faint rattle but manifested into a big rattle. So much so that people in the petrol station I pulled in to actually looked round to see where the noise was coming from. I had my suspicions that it was the crank pulley so called the RAC who wasn't 100% sure but booked me into a great garage in Oxford. They confirmed it was the crank pulley. The noise is awful but when you bring the revs up it goes away. The repair was not cheap but its put new life back into the old girl. Apparently the bolt holding it on was seized so it cost a little more than usual. Had the belts changed as well. The service from the garage was superb, when they finished they valeted the car and even put the locking wheel adapter in a little bag with a drawstring. So if you need a garage in Oxford I can recommend this place, D J Matthews OX11 7HP.
Pauldee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2021, 18:57   #6
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

I'm forever doing that! hazards of posting when shattered! This is the link that was supposed to be attached: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnhHKS6Mkdw

However having read some threads on here of people trying to change this, I'm leaning towards just taking it to a garage, getting fed up of rolling around the floor trying to fix things on this car. As much as I love it, and driving it, a new car is starting to look evermore attractive!

*once again shattered so forgive anything that doesn't make sense*
Old 22nd June 2021, 18:58   #7
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldee View Post
Had mine changed today. Started off with a faint rattle but manifested into a big rattle. So much so that people in the petrol station I pulled in to actually looked round to see where the noise was coming from. I had my suspicions that it was the crank pulley so called the RAC who wasn't 100% sure but booked me into a great garage in Oxford. They confirmed it was the crank pulley. The noise is awful but when you bring the revs up it goes away. The repair was not cheap but its put new life back into the old girl. Apparently the bolt holding it on was seized so it cost a little more than usual. Had the belts changed as well. The service from the garage was superb, when they finished they valeted the car and even put the locking wheel adapter in a little bag with a drawstring. So if you need a garage in Oxford I can recommend this place, D J Matthews OX11 7HP.
Thanks, I'm starting to think I'll just take it to a garage, but Oxford is a bit from me, thanks anyway. I've never found a garage I trust around here, but I think I'll give the place that does my MOTs a go.
Old 22nd June 2021, 21:08   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldee View Post
Had mine changed today. Started off with a faint rattle but manifested into a big rattle. So much so that people in the petrol station I pulled in to actually looked round to see where the noise was coming from. I had my suspicions that it was the crank pulley so called the RAC who wasn't 100% sure but booked me into a great garage in Oxford. They confirmed it was the crank pulley. The noise is awful but when you bring the revs up it goes away. The repair was not cheap but its put new life back into the old girl. Apparently the bolt holding it on was seized so it cost a little more than usual. Had the belts changed as well.
Quote:
The service from the garage was superb, when they finished they valeted the car and even put the locking wheel adapter in a little bag with a drawstring. So if you need a garage in Oxford I can recommend this place, D J Matthews OX11 7HP.
I wonder what make of pulley was fitted, this one below hopefully, if not please let us know how long it lasts.

Maybe ask them what type make was fitted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151487666547

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2021, 21:14   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
So hopefully at the link below is a video of how my car sounded when I got home from work today. When I started for work this morning it wasn't sounding right, not a knocking just a bit of an odd whirring/whining. Same when I left work this evening, then sounded like this by the time I got home?
Quote:
I'm thinking its the crankshaft pulley, any other thoughts?
If I'm correct, and it is the crankshaft pulley, can anyone recommend a decent one that's not hugely expensive, I know the correct are the ones to get, but I can't stretch to that right now. Been a heavy month and the next couple of months will be the same, so need to try and not spend too much.

Thanks for any help.
Hi Derrick.
Your thinking is spot on also have the belts change at the same time for what they cost.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152630183737

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162597598422

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2021, 10:44   #10
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Derrick.
Your thinking is spot on also have the belts change at the same time for what they cost.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152630183737

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162597598422
Thanks Arctic. Having more time to think about it, I'm torn whether to fix and keep it, or sell as spares or repairs and get the car I've liked the look of for a few years now, a Passat CC. Found a couple online that I like the look of, just trying to decide whether to go with head or heart now.
To get the ZT back to where I want it, I simply don't have the money, and I'll be honest it depresses me a little that it's now becoming 'just a car'.